For Knight, a TOL-A-Thon suggestion.

For Knight, a TOL-A-Thon suggestion.

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Breathe

Aww. You want me to find my place here? Is that kind of like saying "sit down and shut up"? Oh well, thanks for the insight. Just so you know, I never sent BillyBob any pictures. It was all just fun banter that seemed to get under the skin of a certain number of sanctimonious "holier than thou" types.

By "finding your place here" I mean that I hoped you would be able to do something other than try to alienate the majority of posters with your innuendos and whiny rep thread topics by getting to a place where you were at ease and able to engage in the kind of discussions this board was started to do - I would liked to have seen you use your apparent intelligence for good - not for evil. :D I was hoping you would find a way to be comfortable with us, and we with you.

It really makes no difference to me whether you sent pictures or not - with your inappropriate (certainly for a theological forum) sexual banter with him, you made a poor impression on the majority of posters. And now you spend a good deal of time whining about your rep. For heavens sake, woman - this is the internet. The only thing others can judge you by are your words. If others don't like the ones you use, why should they reward you for them?

Eeset

LIFETIME MEMBER
By "finding your place here" I mean that I hoped you would be able to do something other than try to alienate the majority of posters with your innuendos and whiny rep thread topics by getting to a place where you were at ease and able to engage in the kind of discussions this board was started to do - I would liked to have seen you use your apparent intelligence for good - not for evil.
Thank you for your concern. I have, in fact, read extensively on many topics where I made no comment. I enjoy learning and often stay out of a thread's comments because I am not particularly good at phrasing thoughts as eloquently as others do. In spite of what you may have come to believe I wish no harm or evil to anyone on TOL.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I suppose you think honesty must conform to your particular mold?
It wasn't about honesty. Who knows if there was anything true in your narrative. It was your attitude about that narrative that caused concern.

... In spite of what you may have come to believe I wish no harm or evil to anyone on TOL.
But you'll smile and say something like that one day and the next? Different Eeset. "Evolved" Eeset...:rolleyes:

Breathe

Thank you for your concern. I have, in fact, read extensively on many topics where I made no comment. I enjoy learning and often stay out of a thread's comments because I am not particularly good at phrasing thoughts as eloquently as others do. In spite of what you may have come to believe I wish no harm or evil to anyone on TOL.
Oh, I am not so paranoid as to believe you wish us evil - but I do find you well spoken, and it would be refreshing to see you use that intelligence to engage in positive communication with others. I also tend to read more than post, as I value learning to a high degree, and realize that there are many others here wiser than I who can teach me much - while I have little to offer in return. Hence my low post count, but many years of membership.

The rep system, and what other forum members have or do not have, is of little concern to me. I don't covet their rep, but I sure do enjoy the comments others leave me. Their feedback is often hilarious, and very insightful. It is of value to me, but the points are not.

zoo22

Is there a way to set up TOL so that every time Eeset thinks about neg rep, she automatically gets a neg rep? :plain:

zoo22

Personally I think we should dump the rep system altogether.

One possible scenario would be to allow everyone at TOL the power to neg rep Eeset, and that's it. You could put a big button at the top of every page that everyone has access to, and leave it at that. Just a thought.

Or to make it a bit more functional, you could set it up so that every time Eeset logs in, she has to click the button, giving herself a neg rep. Maybe each time the button was clicked, it would automatically generate a new thread complaining about it. Anyway. I'll keep thinking.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
One possible scenario would be to allow everyone at TOL the power to neg rep Eeset, and that's it. You could put a big button at the top of every page that everyone has access to, and leave it at that. Just a thought.

Or to make it a bit more functional, you could set it up so that every time Eeset logs in, she has to click the button, giving herself a neg rep. Maybe each time the button was clicked, it would automatically generate a new thread complaining about it. Anyway. I'll keep thinking.
ROFL!

Eeset

LIFETIME MEMBER
Oh, I am not so paranoid as to believe you wish us evil - but I do find you well spoken, and it would be refreshing to see you use that intelligence to engage in positive communication with others. I also tend to read more than post, as I value learning to a high degree, and realize that there are many others here wiser than I who can teach me much - while I have little to offer in return. Hence my low post count, but many years of membership.

The rep system, and what other forum members have or do not have, is of little concern to me. I don't covet their rep, but I sure do enjoy the comments others leave me. Their feedback is often hilarious, and very insightful. It is of value to me, but the points are not.
Neither do I covet anyone's Rep Power. What I have been consistent in saying is simply that the rep system is unbalanced. That is why I would applaud Knight if he tossed the points part out. I agree that comments should remain.

You see as it stands right now certain people like Tambora send me no comment but just a highly penalizing neg rep once, twice and even sometimes thrice a day. I find nothing constructive about getting 50 points off my tally when the comment is a punctuation mark (.) and if I send her back a comment it costs her 2 or 3 points. Can you understand that I am tired of drinking from a separate water fountain and sitting in the back of the bus? Here is another example. Town will send me a high scoring neg rep if I dare to compliment Jack because Town thinks I sought to harm him or hurt him previously with some comment about his family. That is a southern lynch mentality. It is a perfect example of "Alabama thinking" where they arrested black men for looking at white women. Attempting to use power to play at being a moderator is abuse.

I often receive many small pos reps when I discuss the disparity of the rep system. They are from those who will not openly post comments against the powerful because they don't want to expose themselves to the abuse it brings. I have a very thick skin honed through a lifetime of experiences in the real world.

But as I stated above this thread was never intended to be a platform for discussing the minuses and pluses of Rep Power. It got turned into that by those who want to impute some devious intention to a simple fund raising suggestion. I suspect that if Knight had come up with the idea he would have received high fives all around.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
You see as it stands right now certain people like Tambora send me no comment but just a highly penalizing neg rep once, twice and even sometimes thrice a day. I find nothing constructive about getting 50 points off my tally when the comment is a punctuation mark (.) and if I send her back a comment it costs her 2 or 3 points. Can you understand that I am tired of drinking from a separate water fountain and sitting in the back of the bus? Here is another example.
Every single person that has joined TOL has started out with nothing, and usually took them several years to build up a high rep.

I've been here over 9 years, and have gotten pos reps and neg reps the whole time.
You've been here over 1 year.

When I joined and had a low rep, any neg from one that had a high rep took a lot of points away from me too. But I put in the time and stayed the course because I knew that's the way it was.
Why should it be any different for you when you joined than it was for me when I joined (or anyone else)?

bybee

Neither do I covet anyone's Rep Power. What I have been consistent in saying is simply that the rep system is unbalanced. That is why I would applaud Knight if he tossed the points part out. I agree that comments should remain.

You see as it stands right now certain people like Tambora send me no comment but just a highly penalizing neg rep once, twice and even sometimes thrice a day. I find nothing constructive about getting 50 points off my tally when the comment is a punctuation mark (.) and if I send her back a comment it costs her 2 or 3 points. Can you understand that I am tired of drinking from a separate water fountain and sitting in the back of the bus? Here is another example. Town will send me a high scoring neg rep if I dare to compliment Jack because Town thinks I sought to harm him or hurt him previously with some comment about his family. That is a southern lynch mentality. It is a perfect example of "Alabama thinking" where they arrested black men for looking at white women. Attempting to use power to play at being a moderator is abuse.

I often receive many small pos reps when I discuss the disparity of the rep system. They are from those who will not openly post comments against the powerful because they don't want to expose themselves to the abuse it brings. I have a very thick skin honed through a lifetime of experiences in the real world.

But as I stated above this thread was never intended to be a platform for discussing the minuses and pluses of Rep Power. It got turned into that by those who want to impute some devious intention to a simple fund raising suggestion. I suspect that if Knight had come up with the idea he would have received high fives all around.

What does rep mean to you? It must be terribly important because you continually harp on it!
Rep is something earned.
I give out a lot of pos rep. I have never given neg rep. I have received neg rep and pos rep.
But, you will always know what I think because I say it out on the open forum.

Breathe

I just don't get why you care. It's not like these are people you have any real contact with. Rep points don't mean squat. It's admirable that you want to be a crusader for a cause, but try to pick a cause that has actual meaning. This just...doesn't. I have very little rep power, and have been here a long time. It's not even something I keep track of until I had to look before I posted this. It. Simply. Doesn't. Matter.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Neither do I covet anyone's Rep Power.
No. You just want to be able to buy it. :rotfl:

That is why I would applaud Knight if he tossed the points part out.
Meaning you either want monster rep or for no one to have it. Either way you get to be on par, which is what this has always been about.

I find nothing constructive about getting 50 points off my tally when the comment is a punctuation mark (.) and if I send her back a comment it costs her 2 or 3 points.
:think: How many points would you need off before the punctuation mark would be edifying?

Can you understand that I am tired of drinking from a separate water fountain and sitting in the back of the bus?
Right. You want to behave any way you want and to erase the impact/consequence of that.

Here is another example. Town will send me a high scoring neg rep if I dare to compliment Jack because Town thinks I sought to harm him or hurt him previously with some comment about his family.
I don't "think" you tried. You tried to. So did aCW. And now my family is off limits to you. If you violate that request you know what's coming and you're being a masochist or setting up the next time you feel like rending garments. Like now, by way of. :thumb:

That is a southern lynch mentality.
No, it's an honor code. I don't think it's exclusively Southern. But your attempt to attach more inappropriate hyperbole to the notion is noted.

It is a perfect example of "Alabama thinking" where they arrested black men for looking at white women.
I'm not from Alabama, dork. We're landed here, have been for generations, but not from here. That said, you're making up nonsense. On the order of Kentucky inbreeding, but without the factual support. :D

I often receive many small pos reps when I discuss the disparity of the rep system.
From people similarly situated or it wouldn't be "small pos reps". Sure. Who doesn't want something for next to nothing?

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Meaning you either want monster rep or for no one to have it. Either way you get to be on par, which is what this has always been about.
BINGO!

And she wants it without putting in the time that others have.

meshak

BANNED
Banned
Sorry annaB but Rep power has nothing to do with respect. At least not in my perspective. I have very little respect for some of the members here who have huge Rep Power and great respect for some who have almost none.

This is mainly consisted of trinity believers and mainstream churchgoers. And I am speaking against them openly. I am also anti-military for Christians. So I don't expect to get much of popularity. it is just unreasonable to expect "respect" from most posters here.

Eeset

LIFETIME MEMBER
I just don't get why you care.
It. Simply. Doesn't. Matter.
I agree from one perspective. That is why I started this fund raising thread. Pure capitalism. Sell something without any intrinsic value to help support TOL. Seemed like a great idea.

But now that the thread has degenerated into a general discussion of Rep Power let me tell you where I do think it matters. I have seen a number of newbies leave because they were pummeled into negative reputations by "heavy hitters". Instead of engaging them in discussions and pointing out where perhaps there was "wrong thinking" just hammer them. I look at that as abusive behavior. Try telling a newbie that it simply doesn't matter. But be sure to do it before they leave in disappointment or even despair.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I just don't get why you care.
She just told you...well, I did anyway. She wants to be on par, to act and say anything without bearing a mark for it. Not complicated really.

It's not like these are people you have any real contact with.
True.

Rep points don't mean squat.
Of course they don't. :plain: Get it out....get it all out. :eek:

It's admirable that you want to be a crusader for a cause,
It would be, but when you peel away the self serving crap there's just a self serving crap stain left.

but try to pick a cause that has actual meaning.
If she cared about that sort of thing she wouldn't be here making this thread or the ones like it and wouldn't need to.

This just...doesn't. I have very little rep power, and have been here a long time. It's not even something I keep track of until I had to look before I posted this. It. Simply. Doesn't. Matter.
Shhhhh. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.