For Knight, a TOL-A-Thon suggestion.

For Knight, a TOL-A-Thon suggestion.

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

bybee

Well first off I am not demanding anything. Secondly your Rep Power stands above 424,000 which is impossible to obtain these days unless a coalition of heavy hitters were to send more than 1,000 pos rep points per day to a new member for about a year and a half. Think about that. It is impossible these days to "earn" what you have.

When I made this thread I fully expected the idea to be considered bad by many members who have heavy rep power. And I expected aspersions to be cast. I call that the 1% solution.

The point is Eeset, I obtained rep points incidentally to having been here a long time.
The rep points show that there are many on this board who find merit in my statements.
I am honored by that.
And if you cannot earn what I have, so what?
What I have is a reputation which I have earned. There are those who can't stand me, those who tolerate me, those who enjoy my company and those who are indifferent to me.
You have cultivated a coterie of apparently like minded posters.
This is really the last time I am going to respond to this obsession with rep of yours.
It is your problem I guess.

Breathe

Knight, you could take away rep points altogether, and just leave the ability to comment. I like the comments, don't care about the points.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Personally I think we should dump the rep system altogether.
Funnier though if you made it optional. I wonder how many people rending garments would take the option. And by people I mean Eeset. :plain:

Knight could take away rep points altogether, and just leave the ability to comment. I like the comments, don't care about the points.
I don't blame you. :plain: :eek:

Well first off I am not demanding anything. Secondly your Rep Power stands above 424,000 which is impossible to obtain these days unless a coalition of heavy hitters were to send more than 1,000 pos rep points per day to a new member for about a year and a half. Think about that. It is impossible these days to "earn" what you have.
Go look at Angel's rep and her join date.

Somebody get a net ready. :plain:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I wasn't even aware of it's existence until after I had been here for quite a while.
If you eliminate the rep system I am okay with that.
I'd miss the liner notes.

If I cared about a rep system I'd say a better one would be where each poster had one pt pos rep per post, period. And you could only rep the same person once daily. That would effectively curtail monkey business and small rep cadres and the number would actually represent something interesting/potentially informative, at least as general consensus goes.

In the alternative I'd give Hall of Fame members twice the rep power, positive and negative and remove the limits on how many of each they could give daily...see how it shakes out. :eek:

Eeset

LIFETIME MEMBER
This is really the last time I am going to respond to this obsession with rep of yours.
It is your problem I guess.

bybee I admire your approach to most topics. You typically find a balanced perspective in my opinion.

If Knight eliminates the Rep System I will applaud him for doing so. My purpose though in creating this thread was to think outside the box for the soon to be TOL-a-Thon. I'm sure there are other ways to "spruce up" the TOL-a-Thon but many things that could be offered would probably entail substantial administrative overhead to implement. Perhaps you could offer your own thoughts on additional ways to make the TOL-a-Thon a resounding success.

FellowServant

DMV Princess
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I'd miss the liner notes.

If I cared about a rep system I'd say a better one would be where each poster had one pt pos rep per post, period. And you could only rep the same person once daily. That would effectively curtail monkey business and small rep cadres and the number would actually represent something interesting/potentially informative, at least as general consensus goes.

In the alternative I'd give Hall of Fame members twice the rep power, positive and negative and remove the limits on how many of each they could give daily...see how it shakes out. :eek:

:plain:

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass

When I made this thread I fully expected the idea to be considered bad by many members who have heavy rep power. And I expected aspersions to be cast. I call that the 1% solution.

It doesn't bother me in the slightest that bybee has way more rep than I do.

There are some really good posters here whose rep is lower because their daily post count isn't high, and/or because they hold differing views from the prevailing. I don't see a single one of them complaining about it.

I can only think of one person in this whole forum who complains about it regularly.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
If Knight eliminates the Rep System I will applaud him for doing so. My purpose though in creating this thread was to think outside the box for the soon to be TOL-a-Thon. I'm sure there are other ways to "spruce up" the TOL-a-Thon but many things that could be offered would probably entail substantial administrative overhead to implement. Perhaps you could offer your own thoughts on additional ways to make the TOL-a-Thon a resounding success.

Nah... this thread is about buying respect as an alternative to earning it.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Temp Banned
I just love this place!
I have enjoyed it immensely just the way it is.

Those of you who don't enjoy the way it is should just leave.

Eeset

LIFETIME MEMBER
Nah... this thread is about buying respect as an alternative to earning it.
Sorry annaB but Rep power has nothing to do with respect. At least not in my perspective. I have very little respect for some of the members here who have huge Rep Power and great respect for some who have almost none.

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Knight, you could take away rep points altogether, and just leave the ability to comment. I like the comments, don't care about the points.
What she said

Last edited:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
What he said
He said: "Knight, you could take away rep points altogether, and just leave the ability to comment. I like the comments, don't care about the points."

And your grammar is atrocious. :plain: :eek:

At the risk of sounding snarky - I am so glad that I don't care about being popular on the internet.

Or in real life, either.
That's not snarky at all... it's refreshing and down-to-earth normal. :)
In a defeatist, if realistic sense. :plain: :shocked: :D

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Sorry annaB but Rep power has nothing to do with respect. At least not in my perspective. I have very little respect for some of the members here who have huge Rep Power and great respect for some who have almost none.

In a certain sense rep power does have a lot to do with respect, and in a certain sense, it's entirely unrelated. Here are the differences, laid out:

In the sense that rep power doesn't have a lot to do with respect:
As I just told you, "There are some really good posters here whose rep is lower because their daily post count isn't high, and/or because they hold differing views from the prevailing. I don't see a single one of them complaining about it."
In the sense that rep power does have a lot to do with respect:
You reap what you sow. With as many posts as you have, with the daily presence you have, and a rep that's lower than you want (which is obviously just driving you nuts), there's a different element in play. Here's my perspective:

I was here the day you joined TOL, and read your exchange with Billy Bob (found at the link I gave earlier), and have since watched you make numerous sexually suggestive comments over the course of the last year or so. Comments like those don't bother everyone, and I get that… but you set in motion right at that moment the opinion I have of most of what you have to say, and it hasn't changed. As I recall I said very little to you over most of the first year you were here, only interacting with you to any extent in recent months. During all this time you've complained about your rep numerous times and made numerous threads to talk about it, or some perceived injustice you'd received, or some other aspect of you.

Your most recent project was to go after after various people in the forum by baiting them and then crying victim when you were either neg-repped or neg-posted. Ironically, after pronouncing in your sex thread (which Knight locked) that

"Sex, both the act and the thoughts… should be praised and elevated. What should be condemned is not sex but hatred, covetousness, envy, dishonesty, hypocrisy and other failings to live as Jesus commanded in love of one another,"

you wouldn’t even admit the other night that you'd written an OP statement that was dishonest, even after being called on it. I would have had respect for an admission from you that you'd gotten it wrong. Instead, you dissembled. You never took responsibility. That's the kind of thing that makes it no surprise that your rep isn’t where you want it to be.

There’s good reason not to go through life worrying about human respect in some senses… worrying about what people think about you all the time can be paralyzing, and not worrying about it can be freeing, no doubt. But you can't have your cake and eat it too. If you care a reasonable amount what people think of you, would like a reasonable amount of pos rep coming in, the best way to make that happen is to take a look at yourself honestly and see where you might be messing up. If you think you're perfect the way you are, if you want that freedom to let it all hang out, then accept the consequences of saying whatever you want to people, take the neg reps (or the lack of pos rep), and stop complaining about rep inequity, because it's self-serving and boring.​

Status
Not open for further replies.