• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
my only problem with the rep system
is
that it is not transparent

I also wonder if arthur would be willing to share some rep stories from the earlier days

Breathe

In a certain sense rep power does have a lot to do with respect, and in a certain sense, it's entirely unrelated. Here are the differences, laid out:

In the sense that rep power doesn't have a lot to do with respect:
As I just told you, "There are some really good posters here whose rep is lower because their daily post count isn't high, and/or because they hold differing views from the prevailing. I don't see a single one of them complaining about it."
In the sense that rep power does have a lot to do with respect:
You reap what you sow. With as many posts as you have, with the daily presence you have, and a rep that's lower than you want (which is obviously just driving you nuts), there's a different element in play. Here's my perspective:

I was here the day you joined TOL, and read your exchange with Billy Bob (found at the link I gave earlier), and have since watched you make numerous sexually suggestive comments over the course of the last year or so. Comments like those don't bother everyone, and I get that… but you set in motion right at that moment the opinion I have of most of what you have to say, and it hasn't changed. As I recall I said very little to you over most of the first year you were here, only interacting with you to any extent in recent months. During all this time you've complained about your rep numerous times and made numerous threads to talk about it, or some perceived injustice you'd received, or some other aspect of you.

Your most recent project was to go after after various people in the forum by baiting them and then crying victim when you were either neg-repped or neg-posted. Ironically, after pronouncing in your sex thread (which Knight locked) that

"Sex, both the act and the thoughts… should be praised and elevated. What should be condemned is not sex but hatred, covetousness, envy, dishonesty, hypocrisy and other failings to live as Jesus commanded in love of one another,"

you wouldn’t even admit the other night that you'd written an OP statement that was dishonest, even after being called on it. I would have had respect for an admission from you that you'd gotten it wrong. Instead, you dissembled. You never took responsibility. That's the kind of thing that makes it no surprise that your rep isn’t where you want it to be.

There’s good reason not to go through life worrying about human respect in some senses… worrying about what people think about you all the time can be paralyzing, and not worrying about it can be freeing, no doubt. But you can't have your cake and eat it too. If you care a reasonable amount what people think of you, would like a reasonable amount of pos rep coming in, the best way to make that happen is to take a look at yourself honestly and see where you might be messing up. If you think you're perfect the way you are, if you want that freedom to let it all hang out, then accept the consequences of saying whatever you want to people, take the neg reps (or the lack of pos rep), and stop complaining about rep inequity, because it's self-serving and boring.​
This is the most succinct post on this topic anyone has made yet. I hope she takes it to heart. My opinion of Eeset was formed at the same time yours was - in the thread with BillyBob. Maybe we shouldn't have formed our opinions so quickly, but people can't help but have trouble letting go of a negative first impression. For that, I am sorry - but I haven't seen anything yet that would cause my opinion to change. I kept hoping that, with time, Eeset would settle in and find her place here. It is still my hope for her, but that hope is fading rapidly.

Arthur Brain

it might be fun to see if we would agree

Well we agreed at the time, as did several others that the rep disparity was not exactly even handed - hence the whole 'RATO' business but let's face it, that became as much of a joke as the whole disparity of rep to begin with. A whole bunch of us were repping each other twice a day at least to bolster our own scores and behind the scenes similar things were going on to counter that. Rep scores all over were going through the roof and it got ridiculous. I look back on those days as 'red77' and think it all got pretty sad to be honest, there was no real meaning to it latterly. The only reason you have such a rep score goes back to those days. These days I could care less about having some huge score as I know when I had one at least half of it was due to repping for the sake of it.

Today I think the rep system is still a joke in terms of it actually being earned reputation as it's no big secret that a lot of the highest rep scorers only have such because again, of what goes on behind the scenes here which makes a mockery of the whole thing.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
She. What SHE said. :)
Well if you don't know what you said I certainly can't help you.

And you're grammar is even worse. :plain:

All I know about the rep machinery is that I broke it once or twice and then retired, internally. :eek: True story.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Well we agreed at the time, as did several others that the rep disparity was not exactly even handed - hence the whole 'RATO' business but let's face it, that became as much of a joke as the whole disparity of rep to begin with. A whole bunch of us were repping each other twice a day at least to bolster our own scores and behind the scenes similar things were going on to counter that. Rep scores all over were going through the roof and it got ridiculous. I look back on those days as 'red77' and think it all got pretty sad to be honest, there was no real meaning to it latterly. The only reason you have such a rep score goes back to those days. These days I could care less about having some huge score as I know when I had one at least half of it was due to repping for the sake of it.

Today I think the rep system is still a joke in terms of it actually being earned reputation as it's no big secret that a lot of the highest rep scorers only have such because again, of what goes on behind the scenes here which makes a mockery of the whole thing.

remember how the rep rules would change without notice?
how overnight the standings would change drastically?
glenda is here but I doubt if she would want to talk

Arthur Brain

remember how the rep rules would change without notice?
how overnight the standings would change drastically?
glenda is here but I doubt if she would want to talk

Yes I do but why focus on it now? Back then pos reps were worth hundreds of thousands of points the way it was going and top posters had literally millions of rep points. It was turning into a stupid "war" all ends up and it was a good decision IMO to curtail that. As I've said I still think it's a joke to consider it an accurate reflection of points earned now considering how some people's scores are elevated, and wouldn't have a problem if the whole thing was ditched.

Eeset

LIFETIME MEMBER
This is the most succinct post on this topic anyone has made yet. I hope she takes it to heart. My opinion of Eeset was formed at the same time yours was - in the thread with BillyBob. Maybe we shouldn't have formed our opinions so quickly, but people can't help but have trouble letting go of a negative first impression. For that, I am sorry - but I haven't seen anything yet that would cause my opinion to change. I kept hoping that, with time, Eeset would settle in and find her place here. It is still my hope for her, but that hope is fading rapidly.
Aww. You want me to find my place here? Is that kind of like saying "sit down and shut up"? Oh well, thanks for the insight. Just so you know, I never sent BillyBob any pictures. It was all just fun banter that seemed to get under the skin of a certain number of sanctimonious "holier than thou" types.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
As I've said I still think it's a joke to consider it an accurate reflection of points earned now considering how some people's scores are elevated, and wouldn't have a problem if the whole thing was ditched.

I wouldn't either, although I'd like to keep the ability to make rep comments.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Aww. You want me to find my place here? Is that kind of like saying "sit down and shut up"?
Well, I'm sure you completely reversed her course with that one. :plain:

Oh well, thanks for the insight. Just so you know, I never sent BillyBob any pictures. It was all just fun banter that seemed to get under the skin of a certain number of sanctimonious "holier than thou" types.
Rather, it (as with the whole flustering preacher bit) put the Body on notice. You appear to care more for attention than you care about the sort.

Status
Not open for further replies.