For Knight, a TOL-A-Thon suggestion.

For Knight, a TOL-A-Thon suggestion.

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eeset

LIFETIME MEMBER
The monies wouldn't go to you but, to TOL!
I know. But there are about 175 or so registered visitors here a day. At $2 each per month you are only raising 350 so it would take a full 12 months at that level to bring in 4,200. I don't think you can get enough of a buy in to properly fund TOL.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
I know. But there are about 175 or so registered visitors here a day. At $2 each per month you are only raising 350 so it would take a full 12 months at that level to bring in 4,200. I don't think you can get enough of a buy in to properly fund TOL.

No, but just think, nobody would have to suffer your presence, as
long as they paid only $2.00 for the pleasure??

zoo22

I have a TOL-a-Thon money raising suggestion. Knight, you can sell TOL EESET VIRTUAL WHOOPEE CUSHIONS.

Here's how they'd work:

TOLers can contribute (however much) to buy a TOL EESET WHOOPEE CUSHION. For each EESET WHOOPEE CUSHION bought, every time Eeset posts a thread complaining about neg rep, or deletes a thread, a loud embarrassing noise would come out of her home computer speakers. The more EESET WHOOPEE CUSHIONS that people buy, the louder the embarrassing noise would be.

eesetwhoopee.png

I know it'd take some tricky programming to get the sound right and coming through her speakers, but it'd be worth it. They'd sell.

Also, a second revenue stream that could get some money rolling in is that we could get a TOL pool going on the date that the embarrassing noise coming from her house would become so loud that the national news reported it.

Anyway. I'll keep thinking.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
I have a TOL-a-Thon money raising suggestion. Knight, you can sell TOL EESET VIRTUAL WHOOPEE CUSHIONS.

Here's how they'd work:

TOLers can contribute (however much) to buy a TOL EESET WHOOPEE CUSHION. For each EESET WHOOPEE CUSHION bought, every time Eeset posts a thread complaining about neg rep, or deletes a thread, a loud embarrassing noise would come out of her home computer speakers. The more EESET WHOOPEE CUSHIONS that people buy, the louder the embarrassing noise would be.

eesetwhoopee.png

I know it'd take some tricky programming to get the sound right and coming through her speakers, but it'd be worth it. They'd sell.

Also, a second revenue stream that could get some money rolling in is that we could get a TOL pool going on the date that the embarrassing noise coming from her house would become so loud that the national news reported it.

That's exactly the kind of "brilliant fundraising idea" she was looking for, I'm sure of it. :chuckle:

I'll keep thinking.

Those three words are spring-loaded...

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Well since you asked....oh, wait, you said "we". I think there are some very brilliant members here at TOL. I'm sure you have met some of them.

I'll keep thinking.

I know that is a struggle for you but I appreciate the effort. Next time why don't you try to do something funny?

You realize that's one of those brilliant members of TOL you're talking to right there, right Eeset?

Last edited:

Thunder's Muse

I agree from one perspective. That is why I started this fund raising thread. Pure capitalism. Sell something without any intrinsic value to help support TOL. Seemed like a great idea.

But now that the thread has degenerated into a general discussion of Rep Power let me tell you where I do think it matters. I have seen a number of newbies leave because they were pummeled into negative reputations by "heavy hitters". Instead of engaging them in discussions and pointing out where perhaps there was "wrong thinking" just hammer them. I look at that as abusive behavior. Try telling a newbie that it simply doesn't matter. But be sure to do it before they leave in disappointment or even despair.

Newbies come and go all the time here. I've lost count of the amount who have joined, got scared and faded into the abyss, never to be heard from again. TOL is TOL and you either adapt or head for the abyss.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Newbies come and go all the time here. I've lost count of the amount who have joined, got scared and faded into the abyss, never to be heard from again. TOL is TOL and you either adapt or head for the abyss.

don't you think we should do a better job of welcoming them?

bybee

don't you think we should do a better job of welcoming them?

One doesn't welcome a Donkey into one's living room nor perverts nor blasphemers. Crybabies are sent to the corner in time out! People who continually make sly sideways comments in attempts to destroy the reputation of other posters deserve the contempt and scorn which such behavior is bound to garner.
The very idea that one may buy "reputation" is fundamentally unsound.

Breathe

okay but do we have to beat them up right away?

I have seen plenty of newbies come in and not get beaten up. But they came in with a good attitude. When you come in with a bad 'tude, and act better than others, or try to shock the forum right off, you make a bad first impression. That is generally when a n00b gets smacked.

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
...I believe that some newer members have been essentially chased off TOL by this disproportionate allocation of Rep Power...

Why do you assume that they care about this feature?

shousework_plunging_toilet_100-101.gif

It is more likely that newbies will not return due to instant e-mail notification being inop.

Last edited:

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Maybe a question for Eeset should be - would you bother posting on TOL if there were NO reputation and does your rep points determine your ability to have a discussion?

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
I have seen plenty of newbies come in and not get beaten up. But they came in with a good attitude. When you come in with a bad 'tude, and act better than others, or try to shock the forum right off, you make a bad first impression. That is generally when a n00b gets smacked.

okay so you want dull

Status
Not open for further replies.