For Knight, a TOL-A-Thon suggestion.

For Knight, a TOL-A-Thon suggestion.

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eeset

LIFETIME MEMBER
As you know, in earlier times members could accumulate Rep Power much faster than they can these days. That leaves us more recent members at a great disadvantage. I believe that some newer members have been essentially chased off TOL by this disproportionate allocation of Rep Power.

The TOL-A-Thon is a fund raiser. Support for TOL is important or it will become an economic burden to you and will cease to exist. So I propose a new product that would only be available during the TOL fund raising campaign. Allow any subscribing member to purchase Rep Power. This will encourage non subscribing members to take out Bronze, Silver or Gold memberships.

I propose 100,000 points of additional Rep Power for each $100. The caveat is that no one would be allowed to exceed a maximum total Rep Power of 450,000. That would prevent current high level members from perpetuating the disparity that currently exists.

fool

Hall of Fame
Can't earn respect?
Just buy it!
Hey Eeset, what would you bid for this nice shiny Hall of Fame badge?

bybee

As you know, in earlier times members could accumulate Rep Power much faster than they can these days. That leaves us more recent members at a great disadvantage. I believe that some newer members have been essentially chased off TOL by this disproportionate allocation of Rep Power.

The TOL-A-Thon is a fund raiser. Support for TOL is important or it will become an economic burden to you and will cease to exist. So I propose a new product that would only be available during the TOL fund raising campaign. Allow any subscribing member to purchase Rep Power. This will encourage non subscribing members to take out Bronze, Silver or Gold memberships.

I propose 100,000 points of additional Rep Power for each $100. The caveat is that no one would be allowed to exceed a maximum total Rep Power of 450,000. That would prevent current high level members from perpetuating the disparity that currently exists.

Knight shall speak for himself but, I find it highly unlikely that his purpose in creating this Web page was so that posters could collect positive reps.
We have here, an opportunity to engage in meaningful dialogue about our religious beliefs, our faith or lack thereof.

Your obsession with demanding to be given that which you have not earned is very telling.
When Knight changed the rep scheme I lost a ton of points which I had earned from my peers on here.
It wasn't personal and I didn't take it that way.
This is a place wherein one may be a "party of one" yet still partake of the opportunity for fellowship and goodwill and loyalty to one another.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
Knight shall speak for himself but, I find it highly unlikely that his purpose in creating this Web page was so that posters could collect positive reps.
We have here, an opportunity to engage in meaningful dialogue about our religious beliefs, our faith or lack thereof.

Your obsession with demanding to be given that which you have not earned is very telling.
When Knight changed the rep scheme I lost a ton of points which I had earned from my peers on here.
This is a place wherein one may be a "party of one" yet still partake of the opportunity for fellowship and goodwill and loyalty to one another.

Good post Bybee

Breathe

At the risk of sounding snarky - I am so glad that I don't care about being popular on the internet.

Or in real life, either.

genuineoriginal

At first, I was completely opposed to this idea.
It was, and still is, a very bad idea.
No one should be able to buy reputation they are unable to earn.

However, upon further thought, I came up with an idea that might be a useful alternative.

The problem is not with the positive reps, it is with the negative reps.
If a person could purchase a way to remove negative reps, they would be able to show the positive reputation that they earned without having it tainted by the negative reps.

Providing redemption for past mistakes is in line with the Gospel message, which is why this variation would be much more acceptable than buying the stairway to heaven a good reputation.

Eeset

LIFETIME MEMBER
Well first off I am not demanding anything. Secondly your Rep Power stands above 424,000 which is impossible to obtain these days unless a coalition of heavy hitters were to send more than 1,000 pos rep points per day to a new member for about a year and a half. Think about that. It is impossible these days to "earn" what you have.

When I made this thread I fully expected the idea to be considered bad by many members who have heavy rep power. And I expected aspersions to be cast. I call that the 1% solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.