Debateing Is A Sin

glorydaz

Debating is the devils play ground. Arguing is the devils play ground.

That's an odd thing to say.....

Acts 17:16-17 Now while Paul waited for them at Athens, his spirit was stirred in him, when he saw the city wholly given to idolatry. 17 Therefore disputed he in the synagogue with the Jews, and with the devout persons, and in the market daily with them that met with him.​

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
That's an odd thing to say.....

Acts 17:16-17 Now while Paul waited for them at Athens, his spirit was stirred in him, when he saw the city wholly given to idolatry. 17 Therefore disputed he in the synagogue with the Jews, and with the devout persons, and in the market daily with them that met with him.​

I said

Acts 17:16-17
16 Now while Paul waited for them at Athens, his spirit was provoked within him when he saw that the city was given over to idols.
17 Therefore he reasoned in the synagogue with the Jews and with the Gentile worshipers, and in the marketplace daily with those who happened to be there.
(NKJ)

Acts 17:18
18 Then certain Epicurean and Stoic philosophers encountered him. And some said, "What does this babbler want to say?" Others said, "He seems to be a proclaimer of foreign gods," because he preached to them Jesus and the resurrection.
(NKJ)

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
On the contrary....debate ensues - not strictly by way of mere flesh - rather by the spirit of flesh's higher pursuits.

I said
You will never make it to Christ through the flesh.

Gal 5:24
24 And those who are Christ's have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.
(NKJ)

glorydaz

I said

16 Now while Paul waited for them at Athens, his spirit was provoked within him when he saw that the city was given over to idols.
17 Therefore he reasoned in the synagogue with the Jews and with the Gentile worshipers, and in the marketplace daily with those who happened to be there.
(NKJ)

Acts 17:18
18 Then certain Epicurean and Stoic philosophers encountered him. And some said, "What does this babbler want to say?" Others said, "He seems to be a proclaimer of foreign gods," because he preached to them Jesus and the resurrection.
(NKJ)

Ah, so it's a question of translation.

When you do it, it's called reasoning, and when others do it, it's called disputing. Gotcha. :thumb:

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
Ah, so it's a question of translation.

When you do it, it's called reasoning, and when others do it, it's called disputing. Gotcha. :thumb:

I said
lol no. What I was showing you was that Paul got provoked and he tried preaching to them and it didn't do any good. Because he was led by the flesh and not by the Spirit.
All they heard was a babbler

glorydaz

I said
lol no. What I was showing you was that Paul got provoked and he tried preaching to them and it didn't do any good. Because he was led by the flesh and not by the Spirit.
All they heard was a babbler

On the contrary. The story doesn't end there.

Acts 17:18 Then certain philosophers of the Epicureans, and of the Stoicks, encountered him. And some said, What will this babbler say? other some, He seemeth to be a setter forth of strange gods: because he preached unto them Jesus, and the resurrection.​

That disputing you rail against piqued their interest.

Acts 17:19-20 And they took him, and brought him unto Areopagus, saying, May we know what this new doctrine, whereof thou speakest, is? 20 For thou bringest certain strange things to our ears: we would know therefore what these things mean.​

It then led to his incredible Mars Hill speech. Which again bore fruit. Some mocked, but others wanted to hear more.

Acts 17:32 And when they heard of the resurrection of the dead, some mocked: and others said, We will hear thee again of this matter.

Resulting in some being converted, and, I dare say, many more to this very day.

Acts 17:33 So Paul departed from among them. 34 Howbeit certain men clave unto him, and believed: among the which was Dionysius the Areopagite, and a woman named Damaris, and others with them.

None of that was according to the flesh....all of it was according to the Spirit which was in Paul.

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
On the contrary. The story doesn't end there.

Acts 17:18 Then certain philosophers of the Epicureans, and of the Stoicks, encountered him. And some said, What will this babbler say? other some, He seemeth to be a setter forth of strange gods: because he preached unto them Jesus, and the resurrection.​

That disputing you rail against piqued their interest.

Acts 17:19-20 And they took him, and brought him unto Areopagus, saying, May we know what this new doctrine, whereof thou speakest, is? 20 For thou bringest certain strange things to our ears: we would know therefore what these things mean.​

It then led to his incredible Mars Hill speech. Which again bore fruit. Some mocked, but others wanted to hear more.

Acts 17:32 And when they heard of the resurrection of the dead, some mocked: and others said, We will hear thee again of this matter.

Resulting in some being converted, and, I dare say, many more to this very day.

Acts 17:33 So Paul departed from among them. 34 Howbeit certain men clave unto him, and believed: among the which was Dionysius the Areopagite, and a woman named Damaris, and others with them.

None of that was according to the flesh....all of it was according to the Spirit which was in Paul.

I said
You seem to get side tracked. His spirit was provoked so when he calmed down he went into their synagogue and reasoned with them. Reasoning with them is not debating.

(NKJ)

glorydaz

I said
You seem to get side tracked. His spirit was provoked so when he calmed down he went into their synagogue and reasoned with them. Reasoning with them is not debating.

(NKJ)

Please don't add to the word of God. You ADDED "when he calmed down" which is not in the text at all.

His spirit being provoked is the response of a godly spiritual man at the sight of a city being given over to idols. That you think "provoked" means he needed to calm down is simply your reading a "carnal" man into the verse.

The better translation is "stirred". It wasn't his emotions being stirred or provoked, it was his spirit which is a lamp unto the Lord. That inner man that communes with the Spirit of God.

Acts 17:16 Now while Paul waited for them at Athens, his spirit was stirred in him, when he saw the city wholly given to idolatry.

Acts 17:16CJB
While Sha’ul was waiting for them in Athens, his spirit within him was disturbed at the sight of the city full of idols.

Acts 17:16YLT
and Paul waiting for them in Athens, his spirit was stirred in him, beholding the city wholly given to idolatry,​

His spirit was disturbed at sin....what man of the flesh would be disturbed by that?

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
Please don't add to the word of God. You ADDED "when he calmed down" which is not in the text at all.

His spirit being provoked is the response of a godly spiritual man at the sight of a city being given over to idols. That you think "provoked" means he needed to calm down is simply your reading a "carnal" man into the verse.

The better translation is "stirred". It wasn't his emotions being stirred or provoked, it was his spirit which is a lamp unto the Lord. That inner man that communes with the Spirit of God.

Acts 17:16 Now while Paul waited for them at Athens, his spirit was stirred in him, when he saw the city wholly given to idolatry.

Acts 17:16CJB
While Sha’ul was waiting for them in Athens, his spirit within him was disturbed at the sight of the city full of idols.

Acts 17:16YLT
and Paul waiting for them in Athens, his spirit was stirred in him, beholding the city wholly given to idolatry,​

His spirit was disturbed at sin....what man of the flesh would be disturbed by that?

I said
Look its obvious we cant agree. So lets agree to disagree. Verse 17 makes it very clear that when he did talk to them he reasoned with them. He didn't debate them.

(NKJ)

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
I said
Reasoning is good, but debating is bad

tomorrow is church day

Last edited: