Debateing Is A Sin

quip

BANNED
Banned
I said
You will never make it to Christ through the flesh.

Gal 5:24
24 And those who are Christ's have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.
(NKJ)

...hence its passionate desire for spiritual commencement and succession.

glorydaz

I said
Look its obvious we cant agree. So lets agree to disagree. Verse 17 makes it very clear that when he did talk to them he reasoned with them. He didn't debate them.

Acts 17:16-17
16 Now while Paul waited for them at Athens, his spirit was provoked within him when he saw that the city was given over to idols.
17 Therefore he reasoned in the synagogue with the Jews and with the Gentile worshipers, and in the marketplace daily with those who happened to be there.
(NKJ)

Nope, I can't agree to disagree when you're trying to make the verse say what it doesn't. Paul was not "provoked" in his flesh, as you asserted....such that he had to "calm down". You falsely accuse Paul of reacting in the flesh, and I can't let that stand unrebutted.

I DISPUTE your claim, and I have no need to "calm down", either. ;)

The authorized version uses the word "disputed", correctly, I might add...not that he lost control and let his flesh take over, but that he strove to TURN the argument concerning IDOLS to the ONE TRUE GOD.

The object of debating, is to turn the argument, which is exactly what Paul proceeded to do. Paul was DISPUTING their reasons for worshipping idols.

Acts 17:16KJV Now while Paul waited for them at Athens, his spirit was stirred in him, when he saw the city wholly given to idolatry. Therefore disputed he in the synagogue with the Jews, and with the devout persons, and in the market daily with them that met with him.​

That stirring of his spirit enabled him to preach one of the most famous sermons of all time.

This is what Paul preached when he was stirred in his spirit. He disputed their claims of the UNKNOWN GOD, and turned their own argument against them.

Acts 17:22 Then Paul stood in the midst of Mars' hill, and said, Ye men of Athens, I perceive that in all things ye are too superstitious. 23 For as I passed by, and beheld your devotions, I found an altar with this inscription, To The Unknown God. Whom therefore ye ignorantly worship, him declare I unto you. 24 God that made the world and all things therein, seeing that he is Lord of heaven and earth, dwelleth not in temples made with hands; 25 Neither is worshipped with men's hands, as though he needed any thing, seeing he giveth to all life, and breath, and all things; 26 And hath made of one blood all nations of men for to dwell on all the face of the earth, and hath determined the times before appointed, and the bounds of their habitation; 27 That they should seek the Lord, if haply they might feel after him, and find him, though he be not far from every one of us: 28 For in him we live, and move, and have our being; as certain also of your own poets have said, For we are also his offspring. 29 Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone, graven by art and man's device.​

This is not a man who had to calm down. This is a man who was speaking as the Holy Spirit gave him utterance. Paul was not in the flesh. Paul did not fall back on the flesh. And, I would think you understood that, Squeaky. :think:

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
Reasoning is good, but debating is bad

tomorrow is church day

I said
You are right. And it is all right there in them verses. Paul went into the synagogue and reasoned with the people. The people wanted to know what Paul was talking about. So they asked him. No debate, no argument. They listened to Paul. No debate, no argument. That is a discussion.

Acts 17:16-20
16 Now while Paul waited for them at Athens, his spirit was provoked within him when he saw that the city was given over to idols.
17 Therefore he reasoned in the synagogue with the Jews and with the Gentile worshipers, and in the marketplace daily with those who happened to be there.
18 Then certain Epicurean and Stoic philosophers encountered him. And some said, "What does this babbler want to say?" Others said, "He seems to be a proclaimer of foreign gods," because he preached to them Jesus and the resurrection.
19 And they took him and brought him to the Areopagus, saying, "May we know what this new doctrine is of which you speak?
20 "For you are bringing some strange things to our ears. Therefore we want to know what these things mean."
(NKJ)

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
Nope, I can't agree to disagree when you're trying to make the verse say what it doesn't. Paul was not "provoked" in his flesh, as you asserted....such that he had to "calm down". You falsely accuse Paul of reacting in the flesh, and I can't let that stand unrebutted.

I DISPUTE your claim, and I have no need to "calm down", either. ;)

The authorized version uses the word "disputed", correctly, I might add...not that he lost control and let his flesh take over, but that he strove to TURN the argument concerning IDOLS to the ONE TRUE GOD.

The object of debating, is to turn the argument, which is exactly what Paul proceeded to do. Paul was DISPUTING their reasons for worshipping idols.

Acts 17:16KJV Now while Paul waited for them at Athens, his spirit was stirred in him, when he saw the city wholly given to idolatry. Therefore disputed he in the synagogue with the Jews, and with the devout persons, and in the market daily with them that met with him.​

That stirring of his spirit enabled him to preach one of the most famous sermons of all time.

This is what Paul preached when he was stirred in his spirit. He disputed their claims of the UNKNOWN GOD, and turned their own argument against them.

Acts 17:22 Then Paul stood in the midst of Mars' hill, and said, Ye men of Athens, I perceive that in all things ye are too superstitious. 23 For as I passed by, and beheld your devotions, I found an altar with this inscription, To The Unknown God. Whom therefore ye ignorantly worship, him declare I unto you. 24 God that made the world and all things therein, seeing that he is Lord of heaven and earth, dwelleth not in temples made with hands; 25 Neither is worshipped with men's hands, as though he needed any thing, seeing he giveth to all life, and breath, and all things; 26 And hath made of one blood all nations of men for to dwell on all the face of the earth, and hath determined the times before appointed, and the bounds of their habitation; 27 That they should seek the Lord, if haply they might feel after him, and find him, though he be not far from every one of us: 28 For in him we live, and move, and have our being; as certain also of your own poets have said, For we are also his offspring. 29 Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone, graven by art and man's device.​

This is not a man who had to calm down. This is a man who was speaking as the Holy Spirit gave him utterance. Paul was not in the flesh. Paul did not fall back on the flesh. And, I would think you understood that, Squeaky. :think:

I said
You seem to have a wild emotional imagination. Paul reasoned(no debate), they ask Paul (no argument) they listened. (No argument).

Acts 17:16-20
18 Then certain Epicurean and Stoic philosophers encountered him. And some said, "What does this babbler want to say?" Others said, "He seems to be a proclaimer of foreign gods," because he preached to them Jesus and the resurrection.
19 And they took him and brought him to the Areopagus, saying, "May we know what this new doctrine is of which you speak?
20 "For you are bringing some strange things to our ears. Therefore we want to know what these things mean."
(NKJ)

They ask Paul. No debate, no argument.

"May we know what this new doctrine is of which you speak?

Some people just want to make everything no matter how simple it is into a debate.

quip

BANNED
Banned
I said
Paul reasoned(no debate), they ask Paul (no argument) they listened. (No argument).

This quote provides some insight. You seek a need to be absolute in your spiritual view Squeak...without question or reproach.

The rote memorization and dissertation of scripture is simply perfunctory, mere iteration ... sans any form of passion for risks, debate and potential challenge.

Jesus, Buddha, Vishnu...etc. it matters not. The goal must transpire into personal divine inspiration, lest all such guidance becomes reduced to spiritually insecure rhetoric. (i.e. an "I'm right, you're wrong" mindset.)

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
This quote provides some insight. You seek a need to be absolute in your spiritual view Squeak...without question or reproach.

The rote memorization and dissertation of scripture is simply perfunctory, mere iteration ... sans any form of passion for risks, debate and potential challenge.

Jesus, Buddha, Vishnu...etc. it matters not. The goal must transpire into personal divine inspiration, lest all such guidance becomes reduced to spiritually insecure rhetoric. (i.e. an "I'm right, you're wrong" mindset.)

I said
All I seek is to be submissive to the Holy Spirit. He is the one that comes up with all the verses. He is the one that does the convicting. Most people are arguing with Him not me. They don't know that but I do.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
I said
You are right. And it is all right there in them verses. Paul went into the synagogue and reasoned with the people. The people wanted to know what Paul was talking about. So they asked him. No debate, no argument. They listened to Paul. No debate, no argument. That is a discussion.

Thank you, Squeaky. I hope you are having a good day, this Sunday.

glorydaz

I said
You seem to have a wild emotional imagination. Paul reasoned(no debate), they ask Paul (no argument) they listened. (No argument).

Fine, don't listen.

You're accusing Paul of reacting in the flesh while his spirit was being roused to give the speech at Mars Hill. Incredible foolishness....all to prove your point about debate...dispute.

One must wonder if you will accuse Jesus of being in the flesh when he turned over the tables of the money lenders and drove them from the temple. :think:

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
Fine, don't listen.

You're accusing Paul of reacting in the flesh while his spirit was being roused to give the speech at Mars Hill. Incredible foolishness....all to prove your point about debate...dispute.

One must wonder if you will accuse Jesus of being in the flesh when he turned over the tables of the money lenders and drove them from the temple. :think:

I said
Your wrong I am not accusing Paul of giving into his flesh. That is why I told you he calmed down. Before he went into the synagogue. And just reasoned with them.

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
Phil 1:15-17
15 Some indeed preach Christ even from envy and strife, and some also from good will:
16 The former preach Christ from selfish ambition, not sincerely, supposing to add affliction to my chains;
17 but the latter out of love, knowing that I am appointed for the defense of the gospel.
(NKJ)

2054 eris (er'-is);

of uncertain affinity; a quarrel, i.e. (by implication) wrangling:

KJV-- contention, debate, strife, variance.

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
You are claiming to have information that you do NOT have.

This makes you a liar.

I said
lol You are really struggling hard to bear false witness again me. I have the information. Paul went from provoked to reasoning in the synagogue.

(NKJ)

Right Divider

Body part
I said
lol You are really struggling hard to bear false witness again me. I have the information. Paul went from provoked to reasoning in the synagogue.

(NKJ)
He reasoned BECAUSE his spirit was provoked.

Learn the English language.

glorydaz

I said

(NKJ)

It doesn't take any struggling to rebuke you for adding to the word of God.

Paul's spirit was STIRRED within him. Not his flesh as you claim.
You have no information to support your accusation against Paul.

You read "provoked IN THE FLESH" into that verse in order to support your silly OP, and then you added "calmed himself down" in order to claim victory through his own efforts. :nono:

Admit it and move on...to higher ground that this swamp you're continuing to wallow in.

glorydaz

I said
lol no. What I was showing you was that Paul got provoked and he tried preaching to them and it didn't do any good. Because he was led by the flesh and not by the Spirit.
All they heard was a babbler

I said
Your wrong I am not accusing Paul of giving into his flesh. That is why I told you he calmed down. Before he went into the synagogue. And just reasoned with them.

So, your claim is that Paul was led by the flesh, and then "calmed down" through his self effort.

Led by the flesh means giving into the flesh. :think:

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
So, your claim is that Paul was led by the flesh, and then "calmed down" through his self effort.

Led by the flesh means giving into the flesh. :think:

I said
lol You really don't have a clue do you. If I ever had a need for a good example for the OP, I don't now. Because you are a good example of what people should not do.

(NKJ)

Provoked is tempted by the flesh. But it is evident that Paul didn't give into it. Because he turned to reasoning. You seem to be full of gross exaggerations.

glorydaz

I said
lol You really don't have a clue do you. If I ever had a need for a good example for the OP, I don't now. Because you are a good example of what people should not do.

(NKJ)

Provoked is tempted by the flesh. But it is evident that Paul didn't give into it. Because he turned to reasoning. You seem to be full of gross exaggerations.

There ya go. When you aren't successful at pushing your nonsense, you are left with no other choice than to attack the messenger. How predictable you are. :chuckle:

glorydaz

Being "stirred in the spirit" is not being tempted by the flesh.

Being "provoked in the spirit" is not being tempted by the flesh.

Focus, Squeaky. Focus.

glorydaz

Phil 1:15-17
15 Some indeed preach Christ even from envy and strife, and some also from good will:
16 The former preach Christ from selfish ambition, not sincerely, supposing to add affliction to my chains;
17 but the latter out of love, knowing that I am appointed for the defense of the gospel.
(NKJ)

2054 eris (er'-is);

of uncertain affinity; a quarrel, i.e. (by implication) wrangling:

KJV-- contention, debate, strife, variance.

Here is a more appropriate example of Paul's preaching at Mars Hill. This is what being "stirred or provoked in the spirit" actually means. Nothing to do with the flesh here.

2 Timothy 4:2
Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all long suffering and doctrine.​

Rebuke - Επιτιμησον· Reprove cuttingly and severely those who will not abandon their sins.