Can the "Truth" be politically incorrect?

bybee

Right..one sort who desires to blow-up, burn-at-the-stake, behead...or otherwise silence the offending sort..all in the name of that sort's proprietary, truth-based "walk of life".

Again, there is no right to not be offended.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
My point is the right to not be offended is untenable.
Okay, but I did respond to the direct part of the question. That is, if we're to approach each other as we want to be approached then we shouldn't knowingly offend given we wouldn't like to be intentionally offended, understanding there's a caveat to darn near anything.

So it isn't about a right, but it may well and mostly be about an obligation.

:cheers:

Nang

TOL Subscriber
Again, there is no right to not be offended.

All the sons of God have the right to be offended about sin and worldly unrighteousness.

In fact, if persons professing abiding in the gifted righteousness and holiness of Jesus Christ, are not offended by the sins of this world, they prove to be hypocrites.

Nang

TOL Subscriber

Agreed . . . an obligation to live up to the new, spiritual, Godly nature we profess to live by, in the name of and according to, the holy name and absolute Truth revealed in this world, in the Person of Jesus Christ.

bybee

Okay, but I did respond to the direct part of the question. That is, if we're to approach each other as we want to be approached then we shouldn't knowingly offend given we wouldn't like to be intentionally offended, understanding there's a caveat to darn near anything.

True. There is courtesy, kindness and a soft answer that turneth away wrath. We choose them or not.
One may attempt to be courteous and careful of another yet still be considered offensive.

IMJerusha

I say the Truth is always correct. But in America today delusion, bias, stupidity and criminality are all part of the power structure.:madmad:

I fear that we are going down the road to destruction.

And it was never more evident to me than when a Methodist DS looked at my husband and I and asked us, "What is Truth?" The writing was on the wall, so to speak and that was 12 years ago. He and his Bishop, said to be independent, courageous and stubborn, were cause enough to leave the Methodist conference, those qualities having no meaning at all without the Truth and a desire to live it.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
True. There is courtesy, kindness and a soft answer that turneth away wrath. We choose them or not.
One may attempt to be courteous and careful of another yet still be considered offensive.
That's true enough. For instance, it's really hard to speak to apostasy if you're speaking with an apostate without offending even when you mean to offer assistance instead of condemnation. I suppose we all have buttons that can be inadvertently pushed, even with the best intentions.

IMJerusha

IMHO, Truth and political correctness go hand in hand. If one is living the Truth, they will choose the politic that best resides in it.

Truster

The truth, from our human perspective, is always going to be perceived relative to our human perspective. The Truth (with a capital "T") may be absolute, as a singular whole, but that is not how we humans perceive things (as a singular whole). We humans can only perceive parts of the whole, and a little of how they inter-relate, so we can only perceive relative truthfulness via the relation of the 'parts' of the whole. What is true from one person's perspective and experience may not be true from another person's perspective and experience. Thus, we all live in our own unique world-views made up of relative and half truths, assembled in ignorance, and with a bias toward our own egos and well-being.

Understanding this, is it any wonder that our social structures are constantly falling apart, and our governments are buried in corruption and idiocy? Just look at how insane most of the posts on TOL are, and multiply that by the billions of human beings on the planet, and you get an idea if just how insane humanity really is. And guess what; you're one of us. You're just as crazy as we all are, and maybe even crazier still, if you can't/won't see it!

Welcome to the idiot parade, brought to you by the limited nature of the human condition.

This may be true of the world, but not for the converted man. If it were then you would be able to provide scripture as confirmation.
Those that have received the truth that sets men free will always come into the spiritual union and share in the blessed fellowship of the saints. The rest will look on in amazement wondering what is going on.

PureX

This may be true of the world, but not for the converted man. If it were then you would be able to provide scripture as confirmation.
Those that have received the truth that sets men free will always come into the spiritual union and share in the blessed fellowship of the saints. The rest will look on in amazement wondering what is going on.
Then why are there so many religious idiots on TOL? I admit I am often amazed at the depth of the idiocy I see here. But it's pretty easy to see what's causing it. And it's the same idiocy that we can see going on with any other humans (though it is multiplied, exponentially, by their unshakable self-righteousness).

Truster

Then why are there so many religious idiots on TOL? I admit I am often amazed at the depth of the idiocy I see here. But it's pretty easy to see what's causing it. And it's the same idiocy that we can see going on with any other humans (though it is multiplied, exponentially, by their unshakable self-righteousness).

As I said it applies to the unconverted.

IMJerusha

I disagree with your negative view.
The Truth is that we are all brothers and sisters sharing this planet and it's resources.
Some are idiots some of the time and some are idiots all of the time.
Some are wise some of the time and some are wise most of the time.
I watched the Dalai Lama wipe away tears from the eyes of a little girl who was so delighted to meet him. An innocent child meets a man of immense wisdom.
Of course the human condition is limited! BUT, it is my job, and yours, to strive toward the perfection that is Truth. We must admit that we are limited by our aloneness but expanded in togetherness.
Of course we must be careful of one another.
But, that doesn't mean that one must be forced to accept that which one finds unacceptable.
Social structures shall always fall apart because they are created by power structures answerable only to themselves.
In the meantime we live, we love, we share, we build and we rebuild. We attempt to survive with as much pleasure and dignity possible in spite of "the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune".

What you have described here is Humanism and has nothing to do with the Truth. The Truth resides with God, not man.

IMJerusha

Ah but there is the other side of the equation, that is the way in which the receiver chooses to define what has been said.

We can always choose to take offense. That has nothing to do with sides of any equation. The Truth, which is Scripture, can offend people and whether they take offense or not, the Truth is not changed.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
I say the Truth is always correct. But in America today delusion, bias, stupidity and criminality are all part of the power structure.:madmad:

I fear that we are going down the road to destruction.

are you going to say something that is politically incorrect?