Can the "Truth" be politically incorrect?

oatmeal

I say the Truth is always correct. But in America today delusion, bias, stupidity and criminality are all part of the power structure.:madmad:

I fear that we are going down the road to destruction.

Truth has always been politically incorrect.

To some degree or another.

What people fear is a snare to them

Proverbs 29:25

Our country has the motto on our coins and maybe other places

"In God we trust"

Selaphiel

Which is not sourced, even in "I seem to be a verb" by philosopher and geo-dome creator Buckminster Fuller and no age is given, just says it exists by stating so - no reference for it other than his book. Some sources claim 8000 years and some even more than that and less than that, but all of them cite the vague unsourced claim from that one book.

People often cite vague materials without source material to make claims also.

Whether it really exists is really besides the point. The point is that humans have a tendency to consider their generation to be better than the new one.

bybee said:
I get to watch Islamic militants half a world away as they shoot babies and women and men and children. Also I get to watch stoning's and beheadings.
The ability to kill has been broadened and become more difficult to check.
Man's lust for power is now backed by powerful weapons easily accessible to any would be dictator.

It is bad. But I doubt it was much better in the past. Two world wars, before that constant feuds between European states, civil war in the US, the slaughter of native Americans by European settlers. Apartheid in South Africa and colonialism in general. Thirty year war, Hundred years' war. Crusades and Arabic conquests and so forth.
At least large parts of the world today are more peaceful than they ever were in the past.

Our weapons are more potent. But the hearts of today are no worse than those of yesterday.

bybee

Whether it really exists is really besides the point. The point is that humans have a tendency to consider their generation to be better than the new one.

It is bad. But I doubt it was much better in the past. Two world wars, before that constant feuds between European states, civil war in the US, the slaughter of native Americans by European settlers. Apartheid in South Africa and colonialism in general. Thirty year war, Hundred years' war. Crusades and Arabic conquests and so forth.
At least large parts of the world today are more peaceful than they ever were in the past.

Our weapons are more potent. But the hearts of today are no worse than those of yesterday.

Perhaps they ought to be getting better?
Consider Sodom and Gomorrah. They had to be obliterated because of unrelenting evil. They were small insignificant countries with little impact on neighbors.
We are now in a world wherein no country is insignificant. The behavior of any country impacts all countries.
And the behavior in all countries is increasingly humanistic and/or downright Godless.
Isis is an example of what a few hundred dedicated depraved lunatics can do to the rest of the world.

bybee

Perhaps they ought to be getting better?
Consider Sodom and Gomorrah. They had to be obliterated because of unrelenting evil. They were small insignificant countries with little impact on neighbors.
We are now in a world wherein no country is insignificant. The behavior of any country impacts all countries.
And the behavior in all countries is increasingly humanistic and/or downright Godless.
Isis is an example of what a few hundred dedicated depraved lunatics can do to the rest of the world.

May I add, I am old so perhaps that has colored my world view. In one to one relations I tend to be an optimist. But I fear that power mad groups are encroaching on all that I hold dear.
Koheleth makes more and more sense to me.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
I say the Truth is always correct. But in America today delusion, bias, stupidity and criminality are all part of the power structure.:madmad:

There is a way to present the truth in love, but that doesn't mean it will always be accepted.

OCTOBER23

Can the "Truth" be politically incorrect?
----------------------------------------------------------------

Only if you are on TOL.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned

Truth is that which highlights the conflict of opposed ideologies.

"There are two sorts of truths: profound truths recognized by the fact that the opposite is also a profound truth, in contrast to trivialities where opposites are obviously absurd."

--Particle physicist Neil Bohr

bybee

Truth is that which highlights the conflict of opposed ideologies.

"There are two sorts of truths: profound truths recognized by the fact that the opposite is also a profound truth, in contrast to trivialities where opposites are obviously absurd."

--Particle physicist Neil Bohr

I'd not presume to argue with N. Bohr.
But I believe there is Truth toward which mankind continually strives.
Trivialities are for small minds.

journey

The truth is nearly always politically incorrect to someone. Someone will not like it or be offended by it. You might even be politically incorrect in your manner or dress without saying anything at all.

bybee

The truth is nearly always politically incorrect to someone. Someone will not like it or be offended by it. You might even be politically incorrect in your manner or dress without saying anything at all.

Indeed! Communication is a many faceted thing.
Where is it written that I have the right to not be offended?

quip

BANNED
Banned
Rather, the walk of life by many and variable sorts.

Right..one sort who desires to blow-up, burn-at-the-stake, behead...or otherwise silence the offending sort..all in the name of that sort's proprietary, truth-based "walk of life".

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Where is it written that I have the right to not be offended?
:think: Do unto others as you would have them do unto you? I don't know many people who want to be offended, though I think there's a context, a season for nearly anything.

quip

BANNED
Banned
You mean like the gays have been doing all over the place these days? Agree or dont work, agree or have no business, agree or face diversity training..

Homo's are simply attempting to rise to the pre-established water-line, they've no interest in sinking the boat.

(Is it me...or is it simply hard to hear the left fielder complaining over the strike-zone?)

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Homo's are simply attempting to rise to the pre-established water-line, they've no interest in sinking the boat.

(Is it me...or is it simply hard to hear the left fielder complaining over the strike-zone?)

Then you believe tolerance means only for your position, and that free speech means only for what a pc society has deemed ok. Got it.

Nang

TOL Subscriber
Truth is absolute, and only found in God.

Truth is therefore divinely objective, and not humanly subjective, at all.

Jesus Christ declared He is the Truth. John 14:6

He is the Word, and the Word of God, is Truth. John 17:17

This absolute, Godly Truth, found in the Person of Jesus Christ alone, is the one and only, sovereign and saving Gospel Truth of God. There is no other means of salvation, but by and through the power of His Name.