17 Year Old Shot And Killed By Cop

Granite

Hall of Fame
He didn't shut off the body camera, maybe the video you watched ended, but I saw it where it was on the whole time, the video I watched ended when backup arrived.

For an ostensibly free-spirited country founded on revolution I've never really understood the eager-beaver desperate-to-please who's-a-good-boy subservience virtually all Americans express toward law enforcement.

Seriously, are we that whipped? I guess so.

GuySmiley

The kid flashed his beams because he thought the cop's brights were on. (He might not have even realized he'd flashed a cop car.) If the officer had gone on his way he wouldn't have killed anyone that night.
That's illegal where he lives. If the kid hadn't done that he'd be alive. After that, if he'd just accepted his 2 point ticket for a law he in fact broke, he'd maybe be grounded by his parents (I doubt it) for an increase in insurance premiums. Now he'd be complaining about that to all his friends at basketball.

There's a time and place to question authority. But when you are wrong, that's not the time. That's the time to have humility and be polite.

HisServant

For an ostensibly free-spirited country founded on revolution I've never really understood the eager-beaver desperate-to-please who's-a-good-boy subservience virtually all Americans express toward law enforcement.

No we are smart... we seek our redress in the courts and hopefully get compensated for unlawful arrest and detainment.

Cops are a necessary evil for a free and safe society.

The best thing you can do in the presence of any law enforcement officer is to not say a single word unless you have your attorney present... they are NOT your friends.

GuySmiley

If I break a law, and that law isn't immoral, I say I'm sorry and accept my punishment. What do you do when pulled over for speeding? Have you ever punched a cop in the face until he said he's sorry and wont give you a ticket?

Granite

Hall of Fame
That's illegal where he lives.

At a certain distance, yes. Although I've never heard of flashing your beams being illegal everywhere without exception (letting someone know their brights are on is usually just considered a courtesy).

There's a time and place to question authority.

And what would you consider the right "time and place" to question authority, specifically, a uniformed cop's authority?

P.S. You do realize spelling out when you can and should question authority's kind of counter-intuitive, right?:chuckle:

Quetzal

If I break a law, and that law isn't immoral, I say I'm sorry and accept my punishment. What do you do when pulled over for speeding? Have you ever punched a cop in the face until he said he's sorry and wont give you a ticket?
This doesn't excuse the officer's excessive use of force from a position of dominate that, in this case, killed someone.

GuySmiley

And what would you consider the right "time and place" to question authority, specifically, a uniformed cop's authority?
If a law is immoral, or if the police stop you for nothing. But if they get physical I'm going to comply and sue later. It would have to get much worse than a ticket for flashing my brights for me to spend my life on it.

P.S. You do realize spelling out when you can and should question authority's kind of counter-intuitive, right?:chuckle:
:chuckle: GAO Manual 1984 Official Guidelines for Questioning Authority

Granite

Hall of Fame
If a law is immoral, or if the police stop you for nothing.

Immorality's kind of in the eye of the beholder. Maybe at first this kid just considered the entire situation pointless and inane. I sure would; you're pulling me over for thinking you don't know your high beams are on? Seriously? Last time I ever try doing you a favor.

But if they get physical I'm going to comply and sue later.

Easy to say from here.

So what you're saying is:

"I'll object if I think the cops have pulled me over for no good reason but will pretty much just hope they don't beat/shoot/tase me so bad I can't sue them later if they don't like my tone or my face."

Yeah, uh...good to know. America: Where you can dream of lawyering up (and almost assuredly losing) once the police are done brutalizing you with impunity.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
For this particular instance, it would appear that there was not an immediate threat to the officer though.

It doesn't appear the same to me. Since the officer is not clairvoyant, and doesnt have the benefit of hindsight, he certainly has the right to protect himself and the guy came off as a threat, which didnt have to happen.

The facts coming out, also present that this kid was looking for a fight, bad move with the police.

glorydaz

It doesn't appear the same to me. Since the officer is not clairvoyant, and doesnt have the benefit of hindsight, he certainly has the right to protect himself and the guy came off as a threat, which didnt have to happen.

The facts coming out, also present that this kid was looking for a fight, bad move with the police.

I agree. I watched the video and saw an officer being calm and polite, and showing great restraint. The guy immediately started his mouth going....and then kept it up to the point, in the old days, he'd have been jerked out of the car and smacked upside the head. Fact is, some teacher or neighbor would have probably taught him some manners before he was even old enough to drive. Nowadays, the idiots have so many rights, the cops have to risk their own lives just to get some fool to show his license. Here's the way I see it. That kid would have met his demise another day...some other refusal to obey....some smart remark to a drug dealer on a street corner. Those are the people who don't know enough to keep their mouth shut....they've always been with us and never seem to last long.

glorydaz

So having a smart mouth is a capital offense these days. Guess he should've just bleated.

It's called suffering the natural consequences of having a big mouth. I'm sure you know what that means....unless you're much more polite in person than you are on here. :chuckle:

Seriously, Granite, every single time a cop pulls someone over, his life is on the line. Being a seventeen year old does not preclude someone from pulling a gun or a knife on a cop. Anyone who is stupid enough to talk to an officer of the law like that kids did is stupid enough to pull a weapon and end that young officer's life.