17 Year Old Shot And Killed By Cop

Granite

Hall of Fame
It's called suffering the natural consequences of having a big mouth.

Being shot seven times by a police officer shouldn't be one of them, you nutcase.

Seriously, Granite, every single time a cop pulls someone over, his life is on the line.

Ah yes, the old "dangerous job" card. The dangerous job they volunteered for, signed up for, and that's not quite as dangerous as people think? That job?

Anyone who is stupid enough to talk to an officer of the law like that kids did is stupid enough to pull a weapon and end that young officer's life.

Cheerleaders for thugs like you worry me more than the actual thugs.

Granite

Hall of Fame
The depth of your stupidity knows no bounds.

Well old glory actually answered this question in the affirmative.

What you're really saying is: "Obey, don't speak, and act like you might get shot for no reason." Or put another way:

a) don't talk
b) use no personality
c) don't even consider defying their authority, no matter what the circumstances
d) act as though you're in the wrong, basically as a defensive posture

If this is the attitude you suggest we adopt--and I can see no reason why you wouldn't, based on your limited input in this discussion--you're essentially saying we should respond to with the police with fear. As though we are guilty. As though they are within their rights--fully justified--in killing us for any slight, no matter what matter of degree.

Would you disagree with this assessment, or not?

How many other people think mouthing off to a cop makes you as big a risk as someone who pulls a weapon on them?

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Ah yes, the old "dangerous job" card. The dangerous job they volunteered for, signed up for, and that's not quite as dangerous as people think? That job?

The number of police officers feloniously killed in the line of duty spiked to 51 in 2014, up almost 89% from the 27 cops who were killed in 2013, a record low year, according to the FBI. May 11, 2015

And its even much higher now.

Youre a complete idiot.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Being shot seven times by a police officer shouldn't be one of them, you nutcase.

You are the one here cheer-leading for a thug and its not the first time.

glorydaz

I know it's hard for you to understand, but there are people who are actually willing to serve this country and their fellow man. They do so in spite of the risks they know they will face. They are called firemen, policemen, soldiers, and such. They take on those dangerous jobs because they want to help those who need help. But those who sit back until they themselves have a need, never really realize how ungrateful they are when they say the types of things you do. Yep, I'll cheer them on and you couch potatoes can keep slandering them. Some things never change....there are those who support and those who tear down.

glorydaz

Well old glory actually answered this question in the affirmative.

What you're really saying is: "Obey, don't speak, and act like you might get shot for no reason." Or put another way:

a) don't talk
b) use no personality
c) don't even consider defying their authority, no matter what the circumstances
d) act as though you're in the wrong, basically as a defensive posture

If this is the attitude you suggest we adopt--and I can see no reason why you wouldn't, based on your limited input in this discussion--you're essentially saying we should respond to with the police with fear. As though we are guilty. As though they are within their rights--fully justified--in killing us for any slight, no matter what matter of degree.

Would you disagree with this assessment, or not?

How many other people think mouthing off to a cop makes you as big a risk as someone who pulls a weapon on them?

To sum it up in one word. RESPECT

Granite

Hall of Fame
I know it's hard for you to understand, but there are people who are actually willing to serve this country and their fellow man.

You're making a tremendous mistake if you're equating a career in law enforcement with military service. Not sure if that's what you meant but that is how this could be taken.

They do so in spite of the risks they know they will face.

No one's ever disputed that. "Dangerous job is dangerous; sign up voluntarily" is the thinking behind fire and police departments both, last time I checked.

They are called firemen, policemen, soldiers, and such. They take on those dangerous jobs because they want to help those who need help.

People enter these fields for a variety of reasons. I will say the EMTs and firefighters I know, and have known, are some of the finest and most selfless (if slightly nuts; goes with the territory, and they cheerfully admit as much) men and women I've met.

But those who sit back until they themselves have a need, never really realize how ungrateful they are when they say the types of things you do.

What exactly's sticking in your craw?

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
So having a smart mouth is a capital offense these days. Guess he should've just bleated.

I'd like to know if flashing your lights at someone (a common occurrence, often meant as a courtesy), is something the cop needed to pull three different people over for that night. Obviously his headlights must have been pretty bright, so it doesn't appear malicious on the young driver's part. I find that aspect of the cop's actions troubling. It shows a pattern of behavior.

Granite

Hall of Fame
I'd like to know if flashing your lights at someone (a common occurrence, often meant as a courtesy), is something the cop needed to pull three different people over for that night. Obviously his headlights must have been pretty bright, so it doesn't appear malicious on the young driver's part. I find that aspect of the cop's actions troubling. It shows a pattern of behavior.

I've never once heard of a situation where this is an action that justifies being pulled over. Not once. As you said, if you flash your brights to let someone know they have theirs on, it's just doing them a favor. Happens all the time. Seriously, what did the cop think this kid was trying to do?

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
I've never once heard of a situation where this is an action that justifies being pulled over. Not once. As you said, if you flash your brights to let someone know they have theirs on, it's just doing them a favor. Happens all the time. Seriously, what did the cop think this kid was trying to do?

The cop is paranoid, maybe schizo. He needs a desk job.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
There's a conspiracy by cops against America's youth ?

https://youtu.be/tEm3fxNSwK4

Since the death of her mother at age four, 17-year-old Kristiana Coignard struggled with bipolar disorder and depression. She was hospitalized for suicidal behavior twice; once for trying to hang herself and once after she drank toilet bowl cleaner.

Coignard was shot and killed by three officers last Thursday in the lobby of Longview Police Department in Texas, after she reportedly asked to talk to an officer while wielding a weapon.

Many details as to what took place are still unavailable, but the three police officers are now on leave, and the case has since been turned over to the Texas Rangers.

Coignard’s Aunt, Heather Robertson, with whom she was living at the time, believes that the officers could have handled the situation differently:

“I think it was a cry for help. I think they could have done something. They are grown men. I think there is something they’re not telling us,” said Robertson.
According to the Longview Police Department’s website, they have nine officers who are part of the Crisis Intervention and Negotiations Unit. This Unit is activated when “any person in a crisis is in a position to prevent police action by threats of injury to himself or others. This includes suicidal persons, hostage-takers, and barricaded suspects.”

These nine officers receive 40 hours of basic negotiation training and instruction in psychological profiles of offenders.

A joint report conducted in 2013 by the Treatment Advocacy Center and the National Sheriff’s Association states that “multiple informal studies and accounts support the conclusion that at least half of the people shot and killed by police each year in this country have mental health problems.”

Image Credit: U.S. Department of Justice
Image Credit: U.S. Department of Justice
The report cites that the responsibility of police officers for mentally ill people has increased significantly over the past thirty years, and that an in-depth study needs to happen in order to better understand justifiable homicides committed by law enforcement officers.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass

I think going back to that point in time is key. There's no way of knowing if the driver even knew he was a cop before flashing his lights, and he would still be alive if that cop had just kept driving and gone back to the station at the end of his shift and put in a request to see if his headlights needed adjustment because he'd had multiple drivers flash their lights at him that night.

When you can be pulled over for something as simple as that, and cops keep escalating the situation like they do, unnecessary deaths like this will continue to happen (and disproportionately according to ethnicity). They always have though; it's the cell phone that's changing the game.

GuySmiley

I wonder if he pulled over 3 people for it, did all 3 of them attack him?