YouTube censorship

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I like the word when used in humor or at least for a chuckle or at any rate when uttered/written while in a good mood, or to lighten the mood.
Words mean things. That word is profanity and was fashioned to shock and offend. That the envelope has been so pushed in the public square that it's dropped like an afterthought doesn't alter the reality of it. It's not something I believe Christians should entertain or use and the owner of the site agreed when he wrote the rules about profanity.

When it's used angry it's an attempt to offend at worst, and to perhaps brazenly elicit compassion to the user's plight at best.

I don't think the word's evil in and of itself, but that's just like all other opinions.
It doesn't serve the good. The last time I checked there were only the two options on that count. So we can't control what the world does with itself, especially not in a secular compact where people have a right to do and say all sorts of things. But I think it's better to separate ourselves from emulating them on counts like that.

P.S. I don't use it around my or anyone else's kids, and I keep kids from hearing it also, just for the (more complete) record.
I believe you. I hope you reconsider it in the larger sense.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Word meanings change over time.
Because a word was once considered vulgar or not vulgar at one time does not mean that the word has to maintain the same use forever.
"Snowflake" for example.
No matter what it originally meant, the word can be used both positively and negatively.
I can remember when "snowflake" was used to mean "white person" just as cracker and palefale were also words used to mean "white person".

glorydaz

Because a word was once considered vulgar or not vulgar at one time does not mean that the word has to maintain the same use forever.
"Snowflake" for example.
No matter what it originally meant, the word can be used both positively and negatively.
I can remember when "snowflake" was used to mean "white person" just as cracker and palefale were also words used to mean "white person".

Gosh, we can either stop talking or we can not worry about it. :chuckle:

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
"Snowflake" for example.

Gosh, we can either stop talking or we can not worry about it. :chuckle:
Snowflakes are pretty.
:banana:

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The extremes tend to censor, left or right, from language to conduct and along the lines of what they believe should compel us.
I'm not so sure this is the case. Do you have an example of censorship on the right? They tend to be golden rule types, and ownership trumps non-owner opinion types, so their ability to censor tends to be weak.

Arthur Brain

Did you watch them in your "family oriented" home, and why are you watching that trash if you find it so offensive?

I don't watch films aimed at an adult viewing audience around children full stop. "The Shining" is not 'trash' by way of but it ain't suitable for toddlers so if you still don't get the point here you're just being deliberately obtuse. This is a Christian site and people should be able to view things on here without worrying if their kids are going to be subjected to some crank cussing away - or they should at least expect a warning for any material that contains it beforehand. Maybe you think the forum rules need a shake up where it comes to profanity?

glorydaz

I don't watch films aimed at an adult viewing audience around children full stop. "The Shining" is not 'trash' by way of but it ain't suitable for toddlers so if you still don't get the point here you're just being deliberately obtuse. This is a Christian site and people should be able to view things on here without worrying if their kids are going to be subjected to some crank cussing away - or they should at least expect a warning for any material that contains it beforehand. Maybe you think the forum rules need a shake up where it comes to profanity?

No, the profanity rules are fine with me. It's the over-reaction and the fake outrage that I find hypocritical. You and Townie are playing the holier than thou card, and it's not fooling anyone with an ounce of sense. But, keep it up, we're all getting used to the liberal con job.

Arthur Brain

No, the profanity rules are fine with me. It's the over-reaction and the fake outrage that I find hypocritical. You and Townie are playing the holier than thou card, and it's not fooling anyone with an ounce of sense. But, keep it up, we're all getting used to the liberal con job.

Oh what a shock, you dribbling on about 'liberals' again. I don't blame TH for being unimpressed by clicking on a vid with f words in it where it should have presumably been okay to watch with his children around on a family site. All it needed was to have a warning so people could view with discretion.

glorydaz

Oh what a shock, you dribbling on about 'liberals' again. I don't blame TH for being unimpressed by clicking on a vid with f words in it where it should have presumably been okay to watch with his children around on a family site. All it needed was to have a warning so people could view with discretion.

Hope you manage to get a grip some day.

:plain:

:popcorn: