Wot's YOUR favourite disaster?

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
Of course disasters are not fun, not a bit. I am totally transfixed by them, how they happened, I want to know every single detail.

I was born and raised in Southampton England and it is from there that the Titanic set off on her maiden voyage, I think I had barely learned to read before I was studying every little detail of the tragedy that unfolded that fateful night.

I am especially transfixed by air disasters. I am currently on the case of the 401 which crashed in the Miami swamps. The pilots became so engrossed in a dud lightbulb they failed to notice that the autopilot had disengaged and they were descending.

Noah's Flood.

It wasn't just a flood but a massive upheaval of many parts of the earth and created the mountain ranges, plateaus, the 40,000 mile long mid-oceanic ridge and over a mile of sedimentary layers in places. It also caused the sinking of the Pacific. A few years ago the comet Shoemaker hit Jupiter and scientists were as excited as little girls at the "massive energy" expended. It was something like the equivalent of 10 million Hiroshima sized bombs---firecrackers compared to a hydrogen bomb. The Flood was the equivalent of 10 BILLION hydrogen bombs.

When the "fountains of the great deep" burst the pressure and volume was so massive it launched water and rocks into space. I predicted on a tread that it's very likely they will find evidence of microbial life on the comet the European Space Agency is landing on just a few weeks from now.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
My thread title was unwise I see that now.

But as usual the Americans are to blame.

I had been watching a tv prog about plane disasters and the guy who was narrating it was stupid, I couldn't watch it because he sensationalised it, like the guy who introduces Judge Judy....that's what made me think of the thread title.

Buzzword

I'm fascinated by weather phenomena, partially due to my wife being an out-and-out meteorology nerd who was raised in Moore, Oklahoma.

For those who don't know, Moore has hosted most of the planet's most powerful tornadoes of the past twenty years.

Remember the Fujita scale?
They had to redesign it (as the Enhanced Fujita scale) after a series of tornadoes hit Moore in the late '90s, and the damage and wind speeds were in the "...and up" section of the scale.

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber

Letsargue

Of course disasters are not fun, not a bit. I am totally transfixed by them, how they happened, I want to know every single detail.

I was born and raised in Southampton England and it is from there that the Titanic set off on her maiden voyage, I think I had barely learned to read before I was studying every little detail of the tragedy that unfolded that fateful night.

I am especially transfixed by air disasters. I am currently on the case of the 401 which crashed in the Miami swamps. The pilots became so engrossed in a dud lightbulb they failed to notice that the autopilot had disengaged and they were descending.

My favorite is the Earthquake, Christmas 2004; - I Prophesied two months before.

Paul

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Independence Day (1996). I actually paid to see that suckbomb.
Best/worst moments in that monumental, flaming turd of a motion picture were the Randy Quaid multiple death scenes...apparently they couldn't figure which bad cliche he'd end on and so gave him both "I'm back" and "Up yours".

Masterfully bad. :plain:

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
Pan Am vs KLM Jumbo collision

What a series of misadventures, first their destined airport was closed down due to a terrorist threat, these two colossal Jumbos were diverted to a much smaller airport.

After the horrific crash the blame game began between the Americans and the Dutch and the Dutch and the Air traffic control and Americans.

The ATC were impeccable in the most trying of conditions. The Pan Am pilots were in the wrong place although their decision to pass "Charlie" 3 turn off in favour of "Charlie" 4 made totally good sense. But the KLM pilots made the all critical error in taking off before proper permission was given.