Wot's YOUR favourite disaster?

Damian

Just to put things in perspective.

- The death toll of the great San Francisco earthquake of 1906 was 700-3,000.

- The death toll of the 2010 Haiti earthquake was 160,000.

- The death toll of the 1976 Tangshan (China) earthquake was 242,000 - 655,000.

- The death toll of Hurricane Katrina (2005) was 1,833.

- The death toll of the Bhola cyclone (1970) was 500,000 - 1,000,000.

Jedidiah

Just to put things in perspective.

- The death toll of the great San Francisco earthquake of 1906 was 700-3,000.

- The death toll of the 2010 Haiti earthquake was 160,000.

- The death toll of the 1976 Tangshan (China) earthquake was 242,000 - 655,000.

- The death toll of Hurricane Katrina (2005) was 1,833.

- The death toll of the Bhola cyclone (1970) was 500,000 - 1,000,000.
Thanks !
- The death toll of Nazism (1933-1945) was 50,000,000 - 80,000,000.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
Did you have to make a moulage out of Tot's thread?

What's next? Greasing the steps at the old folks home?

It was him who kicked ol' Bluhminstaat's crutches out from under him and squirted ink in his hair.

.....meaner'n a bullfrog whose swamp has dried up.

Last edited:

john w

Hall of Fame
It was him who kicked ol' Bluhminstaat's crutches out from under him and squirted ink in his hair.

.....meaner'n a bullfrog whose swamp has dried up.

Other than Judi Henlser, there is no chick of which I'd like to put gum, in their hair, more than you.

john w

Hall of Fame
A former "member," that went by "graceandpeace," then was "reincarnated," "morphed" into "newday," and then "lovebug."

A fitting way to end this thread.

Saved by the milk....matured by the meat....

RIP.

Thunder's Muse

Of course disasters are not fun, not a bit. I am totally transfixed by them, how they happened, I want to know every single detail.

I was born and raised in Southampton England and it is from there that the Titanic set off on her maiden voyage, I think I had barely learned to read before I was studying every little detail of the tragedy that unfolded that fateful night.

I am especially transfixed by air disasters. I am currently on the case of the 401 which crashed in the Miami swamps. The pilots became so engrossed in a dud lightbulb they failed to notice that the autopilot had disengaged and they were descending.

I've always been fascinated with Pompeii

Jedidiah

What relevance does this have to the subject matter at hand?
You're suggesting that Nazism was an unnatural disaster which requires a belief in free will. Do you believe in free will, or do you believe that Nazism was a natural disaster ?

:singer:

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
I appreciate all the posts about natural disasters and past/future judgements, but all my interest is in those very human disasters. As horrified as I am by things like Tsunami.

I am also a keen student of military disasters...[I love history, that's the thing] things like the failed attempt at Arnhem and the causes of the failure. The battle of Stalingrad is another one....Gallipoli.

I read every single piece of data I can get, read eyewitness testimony.....I know it's funny to have such a hobby, what can you do?

.....Saint john of the w don't answer that, it is a rhetorical question.