Why Calvinist, Catholics, Muslims, Others are Lost

musterion

I would suggest a study of Calvin to see if the man himself was a Christian.

There is no known testimony of his having trusted Christ by believing the saving Gospel. He appears to have still trusted in his infant baptism.

Luther's testimony can and has been honestly debated but Calvin doesn't even have one.

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Would that we all believers could write in our last will and testament, what Calvin did in his own:

“Alas, the will I have had, and the zeal, if it can be called that, have been so cold and sluggish that I feel deficient in everything and everywhere. If it were not for God’s infinite goodness, all the affection I have had from Him would be nothing but smoke. Truly, even the grace of forgiveness he has given me only renders me all the more guilty, so that my only recourse can be this, that being the father of mercy, he will show himself the father of so miserable a sinner.”

Nothing but honesty above. No false humility, as it was not his style. Who among us thinks we have furthered the Kingdom by our own efforts?

AMR

theophilus

"While he was a student at the University of Orléans, Calvin encountered some of the early reform ideas through Martin Luther’s writings, which were widely discussed in academic circles. Subsequently, Calvin was converted to Christ. Calvin recorded a testimony of his conversion in the preface to his Commentary on the Book of Psalms (1557):

~To this pursuit [of the study of law] I endeavored faithfully to apply myself, in obedience to the will of my father; but God, by the secret guidance of His providence, at length gave a different direction to my course. At first, since I was too obstinately devoted to the superstitions of popery to be easily extricated from so profound an abyss of mire, God by a sudden conversion subdued and brought my mind to a teachable frame, which was more hardened in such matters than might have been expected from one at my early period of life. Having thus received some taste and knowledge of true godliness, I was immediately inflamed with so intense a desire to make progress therein, that although I did not altogether leave off other studies, I yet pursued them with less ardor. (John Calvin, Commentary on the Book of Psalms, trans. James Anderson [Grand Rapids: Baker, 2003], 1:xl–xli)"

http://www.ligonier.org/blog/theologian-ages-john-calvin/

Robert Pate

Banned
"While he was a student at the University of Orléans, Calvin encountered some of the early reform ideas through Martin Luther’s writings, which were widely discussed in academic circles. Subsequently, Calvin was converted to Christ. Calvin recorded a testimony of his conversion in the preface to his Commentary on the Book of Psalms (1557):

~To this pursuit [of the study of law] I endeavored faithfully to apply myself, in obedience to the will of my father; but God, by the secret guidance of His providence, at length gave a different direction to my course. At first, since I was too obstinately devoted to the superstitions of popery to be easily extricated from so profound an abyss of mire, God by a sudden conversion subdued and brought my mind to a teachable frame, which was more hardened in such matters than might have been expected from one at my early period of life. Having thus received some taste and knowledge of true godliness, I was immediately inflamed with so intense a desire to make progress therein, that although I did not altogether leave off other studies, I yet pursued them with less ardor. (John Calvin, Commentary on the Book of Psalms, trans. James Anderson [Grand Rapids: Baker, 2003], 1:xl–xli)"

http://www.ligonier.org/blog/theologian-ages-john-calvin/

There is no way that a born again Christian can come up with such a perverted view of the nature and character of God as did John Calvin.

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
There is no way that a born again Christian can come up with such a perverted view of the nature and character of God as did John Calvin.

For someone who thinks your imperfect Bible was never intended to be a book to live by, your comments are dripping with irony, Robert.

AMR

theophilus

Robert Pate-

“You cannot be said to be Christians while you are hating Christ, and his people; true repentance will entirely change you, the bias of your souls will be changed, then you will delight in God, in Christ, in his law, and in his people.” ~George Whitfield

Methinks you need repentance.

Robert Pate

Banned
Would that we all believers could write in our last will and testament, what Calvin did in his own:

“Alas, the will I have had, and the zeal, if it can be called that, have been so cold and sluggish that I feel deficient in everything and everywhere. If it were not for God’s infinite goodness, all the affection I have had from Him would be nothing but smoke. Truly, even the grace of forgiveness he has given me only renders me all the more guilty, so that my only recourse can be this, that being the father of mercy, he will show himself the father of so miserable a sinner.”

Nothing but honesty above. No false humility, as it was not his style. Who among us thinks we have furthered the Kingdom by our own efforts?

AMR

John encourages us to try the Spirits to see if they be of God, 1 John 4:1.

When I try the Spirit of Calvinism I have found it not to be of God.

Robert Pate

Banned
Robert Pate-

“You cannot be said to be Christians while you are hating Christ, and his people; true repentance will entirely change you, the bias of your souls will be changed, then you will delight in God, in Christ, in his law, and in his people.” ~George Whitfield

Methinks you need repentance.

I don't consider anyone that rejects the Lordship of Jesus Christ to be my brother.

Jesus is Lord because he is the savior of the whole world, 1 John 2:2.

Robert Pate

Banned
And there it is...

A sovereign God is so intolerable to some it doesn't matter what the word of God actually says...

You want to believe that God's sovereignty overides his justice, mercy and righteousness.

Your Calvinist God is an unjust, unmerciful, unrighteous tyrant.

Your most serious problem is that the God of Calvinism cannot be trusted.

Dialogos

You want to believe that God's sovereignty overides his justice, mercy and righteousness.
No, no...

:nono:

I believe all three are true.

Your arguments against God's "justice" are based on human wisdom, and that's why they fail.

Robert Pate said:
Your most serious problem is that the God of Calvinism cannot be trusted.

And apparently, according to you, neither can the bible be trusted.

:nono:

Repent Robert.

musterion

AMR

That auto-eulogy sounds exceedingly Catholic, to be honest. No mention of Christ as Savior and Lord there; no joy, no exulting in the certainty of His finished work...no resting in Him...only guilt veiled as humility anda clear hint of uncertainty. Focus is still self. Do I take it out of context? You pulled the quote.

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
Part of Calvinism is the acknowledgement that God is sovereign of all things.
Not some things, or subject to your choices, but all things.

And that is why other non-Catholic doctrines fail.