ECT WHAT JOHN 3:16 REALLY MEANS TO US TODAY !!

musterion

Try this: Ask your fellow MADists if anyone but them can be saved. The answer will likely surprise you. Ask a fellow MAD or two if they believe I am saved by my testimony. That will expedite this conversation I think.

May I suggest you poll MADs on that? I'm confident all will reply (depending on the phrasing but that's true of any poll).

Reactions: Lon

musterion

Biblical repentance is to turn from sin.

False, and blasphemous.

1. The word means only, 'another mind,' as in "change of mind." CAN it involve stopping bad behaviors? Yes. Does it REQUIRE it? No. It just means to move from thinking and believing one thing to thinking and believing something different instead.

2. God repented. Your false definition means God had to turn from His own sin. Your definition indicts God of sin.

dodge

False, and blasphemous.

1. The word means only, 'another mind,' as in "change of mind." CAN it involve stopping bad behaviors? Yes. Does it REQUIRE it? No. It just means to move from thinking and believing one thing to thinking and believing something different instead.

2. God repented. Your false definition means God had to turn from His own sin. Your definition indicts God of sin.

In context repented there means it grieved God . You may want to study scripture to correct your false beliefs and see the different ways repented is used. Repent in the context of turning toward God means turning from sin to God.

If you turn toward anything you simply turn away from something else.

Jesus and ALL of the Apostles taught to repent including Paul your pope.

Lon

A third opinion (as if this thread needs that): Repent is a verb that simply means 'to turn.' As to sin? It would mean "to turn" from sin. God 'relenting' would mean 'to turn' from an action He was doing.

Lon

May I suggest you poll MADs on that? I'm confident all will reply (depending on the phrasing but that's true of any poll).
Which? If I have a testimony of salvation or if others beside MAD can be saved?

musterion

A third opinion (as if this thread needs that): Repent is a verb that simply means 'to turn.' As to sin? It would mean "to turn" from sin. God 'relenting' would mean 'to turn' from an action He was doing.

I disagree. That sounds like just more loading of a Greek word with more than it plainly conveys because one has doctrines that depend on it.

My understanding -- and feel free to check it for yourself and correct me if I'm wrong -- is it means "change of mind" AND THAT'S IT. Any subsidiary definition one adds to it is just that: an addition.

Further, a turning the likes of which you describe is obviously predicated on one having changed his mind first, which brings us back to what the word actually meant/means. Change of mind.

Sorry to sound testy, I don't mean to be.

musterion

Which? If I have a testimony of salvation or if others beside MAD can be saved?

Was thinking the latter because that's what you'd already asked above.

I'll tell you right now, to a man and woman, the answer you'll get.

Lon

I disagree. That sounds like just more loading of a Greek word with more than it plainly conveys because one has doctrines that depend on it.
I was more thinking of the Hebrew terms:

Old Testament
שׁוּב Shoob means "to turn" from Strongs H7725
נָחַם Nacham means "to sigh" (frustration, consignment) from Strongs H5162
New Testament
μετανοέω Metanoeeo "enjoining thought" from Strongs G3340 is about how you describe.

My understanding -- and feel free to check it for yourself and correct me if I'm wrong -- is it means "change of mind" AND THAT'S IT. Any subsidiary definition one adds to it is just that: an addition.

Further, a turning the likes of which you describe is obviously predicated on one having changed his mind first, which brings us back to what the word actually meant/means. Change of mind.
It is a compound word from "think" and "along with" I hadn't realized only Greek was on the table, but the LXX translates both as metanoeeo

Interesting for the conversation.

ISorry to sound testy, I don't mean to be.

Not a problem. I didn't think it testy. Thanks -Lon

musterion

The wholesale redefining of repent was done by works salvationist who don't really believe salvation can be by grace through faith alone without works...they turned repentance into a work (as they've all done with water rites). See GTs posts for the clearest proof you could ask for.

Actually, as a SoBapt, you probably already see it.

DAN P

That those who put their trust in the Lord Jesus Christ and His saving work, will not be put to shame.
Romans 10:9,10,11

I was dead in trespasses in sin. Christ died and rose to save the lost. I believe I am entirely saved by God's grace alone, by faith alone. Ephesians 2:8,9,10

Hi and I don't believe tjat only dispensational are the only to be saved !!

You are thwe one who says , I believe in Covenant theology and asked you HOW is a Covenant type saved today ?

To me you rambled !!

I did give you verses to prove how a person is saved under THE PREACHING of the Mystery as taught by Paul !!

I believe that I was saved BEFORE I ever lknew what the Didpensation of God was !!

You said I am a COVENANT believer YET try to use Rom 10:9 and DISPENSATIONAL position taught by Paul , WHY ?

Either shuck one or the other as there are not too ways to be saved ??

Make up your mind as to salvation !!

I have explained how a person is saved under the MYSTERY as you read what I wrote and rejected the PATTERN that Paul established in 1 Tim 1:16 !!

Are you saying that John 3:5 where you need WATER and the Spirit is for today ??

dan p

dodge

DAN P;5009863]Hi and I don't believe tjat only dispensational are the only to be saved !!

You are thwe one who says , I believe in Covenant theology and asked you HOW is a Covenant type saved today ?

To me you rambled !!

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
That those who put their trust in the Lord Jesus Christ and His saving work, will not be put to shame.
Romans 10:9,10,11

I was dead in trespasses in sin. Christ died and rose to save the lost. I believe I am entirely saved by God's grace alone, by faith alone. Ephesians 2:8,9,10

I did give you verses to prove how a person is saved under THE PREACHING of the Mystery as taught by Paul !!

No actually you didn't ! What you posted has NOTHING to do with "how a person is saved" and everything to do with while Paul was sinning against God by jailing and having Christians killed that God was long suffering towards Paul.

You posted:
1Ti 1:15
This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.

This says Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom Paul said he was the worst sinner NOT HOW to be saved , which Lon laid out for YOU from scripture.

1Ti 1:16
Howbeit for this cause I obtained mercy, that in me first Jesus Christ might shew forth all longsuffering, for a pattern to them which should hereafter believe on him to life everlasting.

Paul was saying that while he was sinning against God that God was long suffering towards him ! The pattern is God shows patience waiting for those who will turn to Him to do so, and NOTHING about HOW TO BE SAVED.

I believe that I was saved BEFORE I ever lknew what the Didpensation of God was !!

NO one has to understand covenant theology or MAD or any variants of MAD to place their faith in Jesus and be saved.

You said I am a COVENANT believer YET try to use Rom 10:9 and DISPENSATIONAL position taught by Paul , WHY ?

There is only ONE way to be saved and that is to place ones faith in the finished work of Jesus, and covenant theology nor MAD or the variants of MAD saves anyone.

I have explained how a person is saved under the MYSTERY as you read what I wrote and rejected the PATTERN that Paul established in 1 Tim 1:16 !!

Again one can be MAD or covenant theology and still die and go to hell. The message and gospel is about JESUS not which camp you fall into.

Are you saying that John 3:5 where you need WATER and the Spirit is for today ??

Actually dan when it came to "salvation" you was the one rambling.

Do people need Jesus today , and yes or no will do ? Do you believe that following Paul alone is sufficient or do folks need to place their faith in the finished work of Jesus to be saved according to what you believe ?

Lon

Hi and I don't believe tjat only dispensational are the only to be saved !!
:think:
This than leaves ONLY DISPENSATIONALISM as the only way to be saved , which EXCLUDES all other so-called systems and theology !!

dan p
To me you rambled !!
Could be one reason you don't believe anybody answers your questions?

Perhaps ask another MAD. You are so caught up in "Us/Them" thinking you don't know who your fellow brothers in Christ are, it seems to me.

You are confused, Dan. I think I understand why nobody makes sense to you.
Not an accusation, I just think I understand why.

I don't believe I can explain it to you. Perhaps a fellow MAD can.

DAN P

:think:

Could be one reason you don't believe anybody answers your questions?

Perhaps ask another MAD. You are so caught up in "Us/Them" thinking you don't know who your fellow brothers in Christ are, it seems to me.

You are confused, Dan. I think I understand why nobody makes sense to you.
Not an accusation, I just think I understand why.

I don't believe I can explain it to you. Perhaps a fellow MAD can.

Hi and I just want to know how any person can be saved under a COVENANT THEOLOGY ??

Give a verse that explains that ??

Yet , do you believe that John 3:5 is for today !!

So , confuse me some more with your answers ??

dan p

dodge

DAN RRALLY ??

You have AVOIDED this question , many time , How are you saved under a 1P 1P program ?

dan, no one is saved by a "program" they are saved by placing their faith in the finished work of Jesus !

,What is that 1P 1P called !!

Most if not all PROGRAMS are nothing more than an excuse to IGNORE the context of scripture and argue their errors adamantly.

What are the TERMS of salvation UNDER that 1P 1P program ??

The only program that counts is where Paul said I would only know Christ Jesus and Him crucified. YOU are majoring on the minor.
And I have given the Plan of salvation and the PATTERN that God used to save Paul !!

NO really you explained that God was long suffering to Paul while Paul was having Christians killed and jailed.

And show me in this verse where Paul placed his faith in Jesus which if one does not do they are not saved.

1Ti 1:16
Howbeit for this cause I obtained mercy, that in me first Jesus Christ might shew forth all longsuffering, for a pattern to them which should hereafter believe on him to life everlasting.

1Ti 1:15
This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.

Paul is explaining in Vs. 15 that Jesus came to save sinners of who Paul considered himself to be the worst sinner.

You are just going to DANCE AGAIN , and it is called the CALLOW DANCE !!

Between you and Lon you are the only one dancing in confusion and callowness.

DAN P

They are saved by God keeping His Covenant promises.

Sorry, but the entire bible is revelation of The Covenant God and His Messianic promises.[/QUOTE

Hi and you have no PROOF or a VERSE , very CALLOW of you !!

dan p

Lon

Hi and I just want to know how any person can be saved under a COVENANT THEOLOGY ??

Give a verse that explains that ??

Yet , do you believe that John 3:5 is for today !!

So , confuse me some more with your answers ??

dan p
A MAD may explain it to you better. The way Covenant and Dispensationalists are saved is the same as you say.
I 'think' you thought that Covenant are not Christians??? We are and not too far from you.

It gets hot on TOL, but for the most part, all Christians get together fine. There are cults that are not part of Christian Fellowships, but Covenant Theology is part of Evangelical and Fundamental Societies. I am part of the Southern Baptist Convention. We have all of these Christians represented (not that we don't have our fair share of strange).

DAN P

dan, being obtuse is NOT helping you as others are trying to do !

Hi and instead of giving an OBTUSE answer , where are these PROMISES OF THE COVENANT of God given and STOP DANCING AROUND !!

wHERE UNDER A Covenant do you go when you DIE ??

You Covenant people are the OBTUSE TYPE and not us , so when will you answer ??

dan p