Town Quixote's

IMJerusha

***cough, cough*** Ahem...Sorry to be so tardy to the game ladies! My corset was giving me fits today....and I may have imbibed one too many mint juleps! If you'll just hand me a mallet, I'll do my best to take my poor female troubles out on a ball...or two! :)

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
***cough, cough*** Ahem...Sorry to be so tardy to the game ladies! My corset was giving me fits today....and I may have imbibed one too many mint juleps! If you'll just hand me a mallet, I'll do my best to take my poor female troubles out on a ball...or two! :)
Wonderful of you to join in the game!

I asked the kitchen staff to prepare us some peach cobbler and homemade ice cream for us to refresh with when the game is over.

IMJerusha

Wonderful of you to join in the game!

I asked the kitchen staff to prepare us some peach cobbler and homemade ice cream for us to refresh with when the game is over.

That sounds lovely...but I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for it considering yesterday's poor performance. The lack of decent service at this establishment is most egregious to its patrons! My stars! One would think he'd gotten Botox on his brain! :kiss:...the poor dear! :)

Oh my, you'll have to take a ball-in-hand, I cannon-shot that puppy clean off the court! So sorry!

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
On the odd chance the usual crowd is wandering through wondering:

Saturday's Gazette found here. :D

:singer: Cub Reporter's Race Final

And at the wire a rare tie finds GM and Doom neck and neck and too close to call. A glut for third a scant one length back between Nang, sod, Nick, Angel, Stripe and even yours truly makes this one of the more unusual races in memory.

Congrats to Grosnick Morowbe and Doom! :first:

Last edited:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
A short closing for the latest:

The Hump Day Gazette​

Well, let's just get this part out of the way and make FS happy, shall we?...
Today is my Friday!
See, I told you and I told you that you can't keep using the same calendar just because you like integral cat posters. :nono:

Looking forward to getting off work and relaxing the next two days.
Now that sounds like a plan. :thumb:

Admittedly vague, as plans go, but a plan nonetheless. :)

In the good morning thread, things were heating up...a little...sort of...
Have you thought about being a detective? :think: :sherlock:
Actually, yes. :)

Good morning everyone.
I detected a note of cynicism in kmo's post. :think:

B-flat if I'm not mistaken.

G if I was. :plain:

Had a twofer on the subject of a just war...
A call to arms is required in situations where defending the innocent is the issue.

It is evil to respond to a threat to the innocent by standing aside.
That's it in a nutshell. But it would be true no matter who posted it. ;)

Speaking of peculiar notions and war...
I like americans I just dont buy by everything your selling.
You shouldn't buy everything any government is selling, including your own.
As regards the 2nd world war. You were three years late...You only joined in after you were attacked
You only enjoined when you had no other realistic options.
The war was really decided when hitler attcked russia
No, the war was decided by divided fronts. Without us you don't have that and Hitler likely wins. Given the way his weapons development programs were going Stalin would have had to capitulate or face annihilation. It took all of us working in concert to undo the Nazi infection.
Not that were not greatful, but overplay your heroic saving of the day in WWII,
There's no overplaying it. If we don't join in you're subjugated. If we hadn't sent a great deal of support prior you might not have lasted until we came.

Said of "The Story of How the Province of Ontario was Handed over to Homos" thread...
You know you could have saved yourself an unwieldly title with: Ontario Finally Gayer than Quebec.

Cut to the point with meshak after reading her for some time...
...You ignore Jesus' word of come out of Babylon. Jesus commands you to be perfect.
Rather, Christ came because we weren't perfect and didn't even desire to be.

You cannot be perfect by staying in corrupt church, you call it imperfect church.
You can't be perfect on your own or collectively in any event. Your theology appears to be founded upon first denying Christ the divinity that gives him authority and then pulling him down from the cross entirely so that you can ascend by the sweat of your brow.

In some ways I think you'd be better off an atheist.

Then began answered fool and others on an atheist billboard that had been set to begin running Christmas week...
...Holy month?
December is the month within which Christians, comprising the dominant culture/larger part of the nation's populace commemorate/celebrate the birth of the central figure in the Christian religion, Jesus Christ...

I see alot of fireworks safety PSAs around the 4th of July. Are those "confrontational by virtue of their timing"?
Only to those advocating the unsafe use of them.

...What's the insult here?
Where's the insult in talking about finding fault with the institution of marriage while you're surrounded by a wedding party?

So tell me, if I want to put up a billboard to reach out to other Atheists during the time they might most feel alone what should it say?
Why would an atheist feel any more alone in December than they do in January? There's such a strong parallel secular celebration going on this feels like an invention. Most public expressions are carefully tailored to encompass. Forty years ago I'd have been more appreciative of the point. Today, not really.

Had a chat with AB about a point of misinformation...
Oh, way to fuel aCW's already demented fantasies there TH...:plain: I wish to have it on record that I have never once adorned such footwear and neither have I amended my nomenclature to such...

On Wednesday's I go shopping and have buttered scones for tea thank you so very much...
I have it on convincing authority. Which around here means I wrote it then quoted myself for source material. :plain:

And tried to ease a troubled brow...

A bad feeling.....an uneasiness......
:think: That seems to happen to you a great deal.

Consider the lilies. Take deep breaths and long walks. And when you're tempted to take a great weight onto your shoulders recall who beat you to it. Read the book. It has a happy ending. Do whatever you do with that in mind. You'll live longer and die happier.

Summed my summing of objection to gender questions on government forms...
... And that's why I'm against any mention of sex on the birth certificate, which seems to me, upon mature consideration, lewd. :plain:

Back to the billboard where rex had a notion...
... It's just that the prevailing culture is most oppressive prevailing during the Christmas season. That can be isolating, especially if you are part of a family that largely follows the prevailing faith.
I could understand, but I don't see a website changing that. Or one needing to wait until the holiday is upon us to begin to try.

Bunted with tet...
Babe Ruth never played against a black opponent.

Had Ruth faced Satchel Paige, his home run total would have been less.
Had Paige met Ruth his ERA would have suffered. :)

And in case you missed it (the last one being buried under a lot of peculiar bell ringing): the last Gazette is here. :D

Tomorrow? More signs and omens, maybe a joke and a song... :plain:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
A quick respite then...

The Saturday Night Special Gazette

So I responded to an ill timed atheist billboard...
Is your objection is solely in the timing? Or do you object to the message itself?
It's an unusual question...I oppose the message as an idea, not as something people can and should be free to argue in the public square and on billboards. I haven't argued for its removal and wouldn't, not even on Christmas day or Easter. But I still find the timing tasteless, insensitive to the larger community and calculated to use the foreseeable sentiment in aiding a larger bid for public attention.
And for some reason all sorts of normally rational heathens found that impossible to fathom, asking repeatedly for explanation of what seems to me about as straight forward an objection as could be mustered... :rolleyes:

And there was a serious division among them on the nature/need for the thing as a balm...
...Not all atheists are "distressed" by Christmas, not even most by my estimation.
Such was my thinking, the argument being advanced entirely by a couple of atheists. You'll have to take up why they feel that way with them, I suppose.

...Under the assumption that garnering public attention requires nefarious motives?
I've made no such assumption nor have I set out that charge.

Or is there a specific threshold for how much public attention something acquires before it becomes tasteless?
I've been clear on why and what I found in poor taste and it wasn't that.
But you'd think that simple paragraph I set out to begin this Gazette had been written in Gaelic.

Others thought...
..."Trade in on the season"? Do you even understand the point of the message?
Yes. I can add too. :plain:

As I said, it's specifically during Christmastime that non-believers feel extra societal pressure to go to church and such.
Waiting until the week of Christmas seems ill suited to do much about the holiday for those people that couldn't be done better earlier.

...I think it's pretty clear what's going on.
Apparently everyone felt that way, though there was much disagreement on nearly any point.

While in the other torture thread...
yeh, all this talk about the "torture" of waterboarding (which, strangely, people seem to actually SURVIVE) at Gitmo... :shocked:

but Oh, those POOR things... they shouldn't be TORTURED like that.
Right. No one should be tortured.

...while I don't know what it's like to be waterboarded, I do know that the procedure doesn't KILL anyone
Someone could pull out all of your fingernails and toenails without killing you. Is that torture?

Talked about Huntsman's chance for the Republican nomination...
Better ... though I don't see him getting enough votes to win the Republican nomination.
If he had the right team he'd be dynamite. Articulate, intelligent, fundamentally conservative but the sort of fellow who you could see crafting consensus. Not prone to overblown sensationalism. A decent, solid...okay, you're right. He's doomed. :mmph:

While in the gender form thread...
So, if I call myself the mother, does that mean I get custody and child-support in the event of a divorce?
:think: Don't know, but if I called you one it's even money I'd be banned. :eek:

In the toxicity thread a new idea was being born...
we all have an agenda
Just so. I'm an proselytizing rationalist...it's been slow going, evangelically speaking. :)

You should start a thread on that ...

"What's your agenda?"
If you don't I will. :D

So naturally chrys decided to purloin...
I was afraid town would do this
and
take all the credit
but
only after giving rusha all the credit
You always struck me as more of a "What's Their Agenda" thread sort. :plain:

Answered on pacifism and love in the Miss USA thread...
Christ said to love our neighbor too, which is a bit more inclusive. If our neighbor is being slaughtered by a willful evil that we possess the might to forestall then how can we love them and allow it?

Then chrys lamented the lack of fruit in his ill gotten...
see who gets the credit?

they are just talk

I am the one that does it
Great leaping lizards! We've been Nangified from beyond the grave (well beyond the grave consequences then). :plain:

But in the end...
you have been here a long time
In some ways.
are you going to become another freelight who just sucks up interesting ideas
I'm going to be me and speak when I feel I have something to offer, refrain when I feel I don't or there are better voices for it. I'm not here to please you or meet your agenda. My agenda is to suit my nature, help where I can and accept help where I need it.

And all in all I'm fine with that...whether or not you are is your business as is how you characterize it and what that will say about you, not me.

Tomorrow? There's no guarantee, is there? :e4e:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
The Hump Day Gazette

Had a surprising second half conversation on Brian Williams with...
...I think it is a common experience for those who have no absolute commitment to truth/honesty
Honest people frequently look like liars in the right circumstance.

When...
oh, 4 SURE!

that one totally hit home

and no, there is absolutely NO sarcasm here.. You hit on a great truth.. one I have learned the hard way.. and will continue to learn...

for one thing, many people just CAN'T wait to catch you in a lie or what even LOOKS like it MIGHT be or COULD be a lie...]
Happens in courtrooms a great deal. That's why lawyers prepare their clients on how to answer and when to be silent and how to comport themselves. Some completely human reactions to having an outrageous charge set against you, by way of example, will cause you to react in a way that will actually do you and your testimony damage.

Son of a gun.

Was hard on one of my on again/off most of the time steady detractors (who recently called me a Jesuit)...
I did not accuse you, demon.......
Because nothing says "I have a considered and rational objection" quite like calling someone a demon. :AMR:

you accused me.
Your memory is playing tricks on you. I'm not.

There is no more quarter.
I'll give you a few. You should call for help. :plain:

While fool was moving one conversation afield...
...what about "the dominate culture, wedding party, etc, etc"?
How many Robert E. Lee parties were there this year? How many billboards were erected along you interstate with, "Don't believe in celebrating slain civil rights leaders? You're not alone"?

Then someone I hadn't literally said an unpleasant word to...
I can say, from personal experience, that Town Heretic is a . . . . many different adjectives, but never pinpointed.
I take it I found exception with someone you admire....

that's an attorney. aloof, yet, how dare you define them. always straddling, never committing.
Absurd. I've spent the better part of a day fending off five or six people...

unless you trap them, then they fight, but they don't know how.
Rather, lawyers are trained in...[an] analytical approach that isn't the natural wheelhouse of many and most lack the training. So it reduces quickly to schoolyard insult or repetition.

the real world confounds them, so . . . they take the easier way - :loser:
See what I mean?

So...
another 5 page post, that says NOTHING. town heretic is a master at using words that never implicate him in anything. i am too, yet, i actually make points. i take positions and defend them. Spineless commentators are seen for what they are. get a life

Really? Let's look at your foundation. Your strong spine if you would:
i chose "other" simply because i don't like labels. just me, they can be helpful. i guess i should say, I don't want to be labelled and try not to label others.
Yeah, you're a rock. :rolleyes:

And who could forget your leonine like roar:
i don't mind if people don't believe in God, as long as they know they aren't special. they can't gain "enlightenment" or be "one with the universe" or turn into energy and light all by themselves.
Way to take a stand.

Or your bold:
technically, perhaps. yes. but define "lie" and "mainstream".
If you see a rock, whatever you do, don't throw it. :nono:

Had a fight with a pacifist...
Yes, the same thing that happened to Jesus, who also went to his unjust death without a fight.
To redeem mankind and make reconciliation and grace possible. That work is finished.

And yet the nazis are gone, now.
And how was that actually accomplished again?

Speaking of the Grammys...
Hey, Hot Pockets are good. Abba?....eh, not so much! :plain:
Hot Pockets...when you're too old to justify Cheez Whiz sandwiches.

Abba...when you're to old to appreciate hip-hop.

Had a relatively rare but serious answer to sod in the atheist billboard chime in...
...but just an fyi - if you find yourself disagreeing with fool, chances are pretty good that you're being a retard...that fool is nobody's fool :thumb:
I like him fine, agree or not. Here we don't. The world won't end because of it. Heck he and I disagree on the existence of God. You think he's no fool on that count? I'll wait while you don't run and tell him, repeatedly, how you'll enjoy watching him burn in hell.

And it's that pointing out what's really important to you and what you merely use.

And I'll end on a link to anna hitting it out of the park in part and a qualification I have about the nature of TOL, here.

Tomorrow? Fun by numbers... :plain:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
The Saturday Morning Gazette​

Music depreciation week continued with IMJ...
...Toxicity grates no matter the age! :p
Hip hop haters: afraid to break a hip when they bust a move. :eek:

And...
wrong comparison

beyonce doesn't produce her voice electronically - she sings by pushing air in a controlled fashion through her vocal cords
Bey interprets other people's music, other people's art. So when I note Pollack painting by numbers would be a closer and actual parallel that's because it demonstrably is. What you attempted wasn't. Pollack using other's paints to create art is no different than a composer using a piano he didn't make to write a sonata.

Then repchk presented yet another compelling case...
...The guy @ the convenience store who told me not to mix styro w/ hot (anything) said it is worse than people think.

hmmm..
Is he your regular doctor or just filling in? :plain:

Elsewhere AB was saying of anna...
Originally Posted by Arthur Brain
It takes character to apologize and to acknowledge shortcomings
And in some cases it would take a great deal more time...What, I'm just sayin'.

and you have more than I to be quite honest - character that is.
Well...you're quite one (a character--to help out all the Asperger's sufferers among us), which in some circles is even better. :think: Admittedly those circles are mostly found in penal institutions, but beggars can't be choosers.

I've ruined everything, haven't I. :plain:

While over in chrys' "program" thread...
I find your lack of Presbyterians disturbing. :plain:

And because of the WMC, chrys decided to rebrand...
yes
that would make you an anglican
The Presbyterians will be shocked to hear it. :plain:

I think they're still under the impression they're Presbyterians.

While back in anna's closed apology thread...
Originally Posted by Granite
You realize the kinds of people and behavior you're defending, right?
You're not reading me right. I'm noting how out of step zealots of every stripe are with the rule and arguing that the worst thing you can do is confuse louder voices with larger truth.

Beyond that I'm speaking to a need in the most meaningful sense, that we all require grace. Not that we all have the same demons to wrestle with or to the same degree.

Had another word with GFR about zealots...
I take the titles from the journalists - and I assume people can see clearly where I stand - although aCW is convinced I am gay and with the HRC. Now why do you suppose that is?
Because he's a zealot. And zealots only recognize their own reflection. Everything else is other.
For those who stop by Ask Knight occasionally, that's why one poster tried to drag Knight into the zealot's role and then got bent out of shape and later grumped about the state of TOL when it didn't go as planned. :nono:

Finished up my conversation with DS...
The message wasn't 'contrary to faith',
...of course it is. Contextually, fundamentally opposed to every expression of faith in God.

the message was directed at people who lack faith.
And timed to use a period of particular significance to generate publicity which would maximize that effort.

...The mere existence of atheists, or of atheism is seen as an attack on faith.
Rather atheism is itself a contrary and competing context for existence and to the Christian it's a threat to the atheist.

I think think this thread shows nothing if not that. No one is entitled to special treatment simply for being a majority.
I agree it's wrong to give the majority a "special treatment" because the exploitation will work you a good. :)

Then stoney chimed in...
Sure, you just have a problem with when they choose to speak their minds. How generous.
Rather, I find the choice they made in poor taste. And you think all sorts of things are in poor taste. You only just noted it.

Does that make you ungenerous?

...If your sensibilities are precious and delicate enough to be upended by retail advertising at Christmastime
Because nothing says precious and delicate like attempting to reason with those who object to your point of view. :plain:

...you seem to be acting like either a weak sister or a grandstander.
Where you seem to be a half step from invoking the [Godwin's Law].

Tomorrow? The rest (if you see what I did there). :)

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I did nothing but observe, councelor.....observations without malice.
No, you conflated your bias with observation. And when given the facts simply waited a bit then declared the same nonsense again here.

You tried it with the mods in reports. You tried it with at least two threads now. It's not getting traction. Ultimately TOL has room for all sorts of things. Don't like it? Don't read it. Makes no difference to me.

dreadknought

Ive conflated ive done this ive done that I reported you, Bah! Poser. A blog is a blog. Post your superior intellect in your peraonal journal.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Ive conflated ive done this ive done that I reported you,
Yeah, that's literally true.

Stunning repartee. Normally only found at a round table debate by former professional boxers.

Meanwhile, a couple of posts earlier...

.....observations without malice.
Yeah, that just screams objective detachment. :plain:

A blog is a blog.
Right. And this wouldn't be that as per my answer in the first thread where you got it wrong.

Post your superior intellect in your peraonal journal.
Yeah, no malice in you at all. :rolleyes: