Town Quixote's

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
All of TOL is waiting for you to be categorized according to the "program."
You mean the great pigeon holier than thou thread? :eek:

I'm wildly disinterested. It's more often than not a stumbling block to little purpose. I believe in the God who called me in the person of Jesus Christ. The rest is commentary.

Any voluntary suggestions or confessions from you personally, before you get labelled by others?
No one can define anyone else but honest, informed speculation won't offend me.

The Tuesday Night Gazette is found here (link).

Nang

TOL Subscriber
You mean the great pigeon holier than thou thread? :eek:

I'm wildly disinterested. It's more often than not a stumbling block to little purpose. I believe in the God who called me in the person of Jesus Christ. The rest is commentary.

No one can define anyone else but honest, informed speculation won't offend me.

Odd.

Knight has endorsed and prominently exposed the thread and all of TOL (except Easet) has contributed interest in it; freely confessing their theological stances.

No big deal, I agree, until individuals become obvious in refusing to declare their Christian affiliation or refuse to clarify their theological stance.

I, for one, am really curious as to what you think about all the various positions represented on this site.

Are you a Trinitarian?

Are you Dispensational?

Are you Arminian or Calvinistic or Catholic or MAD or just some kind of mysterious believer who considers himself above any kind of open and public confession of faith?

IMO, in order to have any relationship with others who also profess Christ, some definition of one's beliefs is helpful and necessary for actual interaction and a genuine sharing of the gospel of Jesus Christ.

IOW's, as popular and well liked you appear to be on TOL, you
could easily be a religious fake, or a spiritual monster, for all we know.

At least we know Chrystodom is a Catholic and we can interpret his
posts accordingly.

On what basis are we to interpret any or all that you say?

Nang

The Tuesday Night Gazette is found here (link).[/QUOTE]

Son of Jack

Nang,

I think that your post above is a little silly and over-the-top. The fact is that I participated in the thread, and I didn't commit to any labels beyond merely "Christian," a member of the Way. Why is necessary to be anything more than that?

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Odd.

Knight has endorsed and prominently exposed the thread and all of TOL (except Easet) has contributed interest in it; freely confessing their theological stances.

"All" of TOL hasn't contributed interest in it. It's of interest to some, and not to others, you're wildly overstating the case here.

I, for one, am really curious as to what you think about all the various positions represented on this site.

Are you a Trinitarian?

Are you Dispensational?

Are you Arminian or Calvinistic or Catholic or MAD or just some kind of mysterious believer who considers himself above any kind of open and public confession of faith?
You may be curious, but speculating that he hasn't answered because he considers himself "above any kind of open and public confession of faith?" That's a hugely uncharitable judgment on your part.

IMO, in order to have any relationship with others who also profess Christ, some definition of one's beliefs is helpful and necessary for actual interaction and a genuine sharing of the gospel of Jesus Christ.

IOW's, as popular and well liked you appear to be on TOL, you
could easily be a religious fake, or a spiritual monster, for all we know.
Wow. Where does one even go with that?

At least we know Christodom is a Catholic and we can interpret
posts accordingly.
If you know him well enough, you might know his name is chrysostom.

How are we to interpret any or all that you say?

Nang

What if you were to interpret what he says exactly as he presents it to you?

The Tuesday Night Gazette is found here (link).[/quote][/quote]

Nang

TOL Subscriber
Nang,

I think that your post above is a little silly and over-the-top. The fact is that I participated in the thread, and I didn't commit to any labels beyond merely "Christian," a member of the Way. Why is necessary to be anything more than that?

Problem is, there are many who claim to be Christians, in these latter days, who deceive themselves and others.

There is nothing wrong with asking others to define one's profession of faith. I John 4:1.

IMO there should be a READY AND EAGER scriptural and confessional basis for anyone who proclaims to have faith in Jesus Christ.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Odd. Knight has endorsed and prominently exposed the thread and all of TOL (except Easet) has contributed interest in it; freely confessing their theological stances.
Are you suggesting that if most find it beneficial or interesting that everyone else should?

I find that odd.

No big deal, I agree, until individuals become obvious in refusing to declare their Christian affiliation or refuse to clarify their theological stance.
I declared my Christianity when I joined.

I appreciate that. If I wanted to discuss it in this sort of way I'd be in the thread.

Are you a Trinitarian?

Are you Dispensational?

I've been pretty straight forward about the trinity. If you're not familiar with my positions then...look, it isn't my job to stop every time someone wants me to laundry list doctrinal distinctions that are often more divisive than productive and do that.

And you're certainly entitled to your opinion, but if feels like a justification for a bully tactic. If we were having a particular discussion on, say, the Trinity, it would be one thing.

IOW's, as popular and well liked you appear to be on TOL
Do I "appear" to be? :think: I don't know. I've made a lot of friends over my time here. I suppose so. You'd have to ask chrys. He keeps track of that sort of thing.

you could easily be a religious fake, or a spiritual monster, for all we know.
Not to those who've engaged and followed what I've had to say over my several years here. Only people who are so new they don't know me, or haven't engaged me enough to know me. And that's hardly my fault.

At least we know Christodom is a Catholic and we can interpret
posts accordingly.
I'll tell you what, if you ever see me in the midst of a theological discussion where you are confused about my position let me know and I'll attempt to do a better job of illustrating whatever the point is.

How are we to interpret any or all that you say?
You could start with my profession of faith and then look at whatever it is I'm saying in relation to your understanding of orthodoxy and if you think I'm leaving the reservation tell me and/or ask on the point.

Seems easy enough to me.

Eeset

LIFETIME MEMBER
IMO there should be a READY AND EAGER scriptural and confessional basis for anyone who proclaims to have faith in Jesus Christ.
Well Ning, In my opinion anyone who knows God has no need of Scripture. Moses would be the first example if you need one.

Nang

TOL Subscriber
Are you suggesting that if most find it beneficial or interesting that everyone else should?

I find that odd.

I declared my Christianity when I joined.

I appreciate that. If I wanted to discuss it in this sort of way I'd be in the thread.

I've been pretty straight forward about the trinity. If you're not familiar with my positions then...look, it isn't my job to stop every time someone wants me to laundry list doctrinal distinctions that are often more divisive than productive and do that.

And you're certainly entitled to your opinion, but if feels like a justification for a bully tactic. If we were having a particular discussion on, say, the Trinity, it would be one thing.

Do I "appear" to be? :think: I don't know. I've made a lot of friends over my time here. I suppose so. You'd have to ask chrys. He keeps track of that sort of thing.

Not to those who've engaged and followed what I've had to say over my several years here. Only people who are so new they don't know me, or haven't engaged me enough to know me. And that's hardly my fault.

I'll tell you what, if you ever see me in the midst of a theological discussion where you are confused about my position let me know and I'll attempt to do a better job of illustrating whatever the point is.

You could start with my profession of faith and then look at whatever it is I'm saying in relation to your understanding of orthodoxy and if you think I'm leaving the reservation tell me and/or ask on the point.

Seems easy enough to me.

I guess you not joining in theological discussions has always caused me worry.

I don't ever remember seeing you post views about the Trinity, or the Atonement, or any of the major theological discussions.

You remain a mystery to me . . . And I say so without denying your profession of faith.

But why do you profess faith and show no interest in defining, discussing, or sharing with other Christians the joys and grounds of your beliefs?

You come across as aloof or uninterested in biblical subjects; more interested in social pathologies than eternal souls.

Nang

Nang

TOL Subscriber
Well Ning, In my opinion anyone who knows God has no need of Scripture. Moses would be the first example if you need one.

You dunce . . .

Moses is the divinely assigned author of the first five books of the bible (scripture).

Gads!

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I guess you not joining in theological discussions has always caused me worry.
It shouldn't. I've always said that where I feel others know more and are in a better position to teach on a thing I mostly listen. I'd have to be as vain as some think I am to do otherwise.

I don't ever remember seeing you post views about the Trinity, or the Atonement, or any of the major theological discussions.
I have on the Trinity. Mostly when that last group of angry, condescending anti Trinitarians descended on the place.

You remain a mystery to me . . . And I say so without denying your profession of faith.
I have a simple enough faith. It begins with Christ, who called me out of my former life and extends, if imperfectly, in love, gratitude and abundance, when I don't get in the way of that.

But why do you profess faith and show no interest in defining, discussing, or sharing with other Christians the joys and grounds of your beliefs?
I really haven't "shown no interest". I just haven't shown your interest...I've had some interesting and productive conversations within the Body. More than a few of those were done quietly and less publicly, but I haven't been silent even in the public sense...only not as strident, loud or frequent as most. Again, I realized early on that there were mature and learned voices here that didn't need me to do the job they were already doing. So I read them and do most of my work among those outside of the Body, where my rationalist's background and training can be more profitably applied.

You come across as aloof or uninterested in biblical subjects; more interested in social pathologies than eternal souls.
No one who knows me would say that and no one who doesn't should.

Nang

TOL Subscriber
It shouldn't. I've always said that where I feel others know more and are in a better position to teach on a thing I mostly listen. I'd have to be as vain as some think I am to do otherwise.

I have on the Trinity. Mostly when that last group of angry, condescending anti Trinitarians descended on the place.

I have a simple enough faith. It begins with Christ, who called me out of my former life and extends, if imperfectly, in love, gratitude and abundance, when I don't get in the way of that.

I really haven't "shown no interest". I just haven't shown your interest...I've had some interesting and productive conversations within the Body. More than a few of those were done quietly and less publicly, but I haven't been silent even in the public sense...only not as strident, loud or frequent as most. Again, I realized early on that there were mature and learned voices here that didn't need me to do the job they were already doing. So I read them and do most of my work among those outside of the Body, where my rationalist's background and training can be more profitably applied.

No one who knows me would say that and no one who doesn't should.

I am simply interested in knowing you better as a brother in The Lord.

I am perplexed by your reluctance to spiritually define or enlarge upon your beliefs.

Eeset

LIFETIME MEMBER

I am perplexed by your reluctance to spiritually define or enlarge upon your beliefs.
Snake oil Nang. It sounds to me like you have lots of nice neat little boxes and you want to fit town as well as others into those boxes. In my experience the most spiritual among mankind can not be confined to boxes. Perhaps I am wrong.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
How many years have we been here together? And how many times have you asked me a question about my faith?

I don't think anything simple is going on here at all. And another thing that isn't going on here is a transfer of chrys thread to this one with any more success and for the reasons I've set out already.

I'm less perplexed by your ongoing mischaracterization. I'm not reluctant to discuss my faith. I'm opposed to being grilled on it, however pleasantly and less so when the tone is vaguely accusatory (see: reluctance, worry, refusal, above, aloof, appear, monster for all we know, etc.).

I worry about people who find it their "job" to act as inquisitors and more so after those who employ the "we" outside of elected office and even then it's iffy.

You have something more to work out here, I think. But not here, literally. And that's my final word on the subject for the night.

Nang

TOL Subscriber
Eeset,

I extend to you an open apology for calling you a name in an earlier post.

No amount of frustration excuses my doing so, and I am sorry.

Nang

Eeset

LIFETIME MEMBER
Eeset,

I extend to you an open apology for calling you a name in an earlier post.

No amount of frustration excuses my doing so, and I am sorry.

Nang
Dear Nang, please do not give it a moment's thought. I have always enjoyed your insights, knowledge and style. If anyone is going to slap me once in a while I very much prefer that it be you because I trust your heart.

Blessings to you,
Eeset

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Well then...that only leaves one thing left to say: yesterday's Gazette can be found here (link). :plain:

In Tuesday's edition:

chrys asks a question, I speak to the value of a rule, CW does a pratfall and AMR admits a shameful secret...

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
The Town Gossip :singer:

Looks like someone who had a problem with locks has suddenly put one on her diary. Likely a "growth" spurt.

Time is ticking on chrys' countdown to the end of party politics as we've known it. Stop by, leave a memorial bit and prepare to move on.

And guess who the newest fair haired racist hates now? The proof is in the jabbering. :shocked: Okay, it's nearly everyone, but I had you going.

Next up...Dear Crabby.