toldailytopic: What do you think are the three most important roles of government?

Lovebug

The role of 'earthly' government is to keep those who have not yet entered the Kingdom of God in 'check', by rules/regulations, that strive to keep some type of physical order.

God has a place to work His wrath therefore, for non believers, who refuse to walk in the ways of the Lord, which is love...but, for the most part, they just end up killing each other, as Jesus said, the dead will bury the dead.

PureX

But don't all the elections revolve around things like medicine, schooling and employment? I wonder where all those issues went? :
Health care, natural disasters, clean water and food, etc., would all be under the category of protection from natural threats. Education and employment would be under the category of insuring equal opportunity.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The proper role of government.

A. To protect its citizens from the sinful behavior of their neighbors.

Romans 13:3-4 --- For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to the evil. Wilt thou then not be afraid of the power? do that which is good, and thou shalt have praise of the same: For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil.

B. Protect its citizens from foreign enemies. The Military is the institution that fills this role.

The government is to be a protector and yes a servant--not a leech that sucks the country dry. Nor is it to play the role of a 'Robin Hood'--Stealing from Peter to pay Paul because Peter makes more money than Paul.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
Nor is it to play the role of a 'Robin Hood'--Stealing from Peter to pay Paul because Peter makes more money than Paul.

I grant that. But what if rich man A has obtained his money by committing an injustice against poor man B?

"Go to now, ye rich men, weep and howl in your miseries, which shall come upon you. [James 5:1] [Latin] [2] Your riches are corrupted: and your garments are motheaten. [3] Your gold and silver is cankered: and the rust of them shall be for a testimony against you, and shall eat your flesh like fire. You have stored up to yourselves wrath against the last days. [4] Behold the hire of the labourers, who have reaped down your fields, which by fraud has been kept back by you, crieth: and the cry of them hath entered into the ears of the Lord of Sabaoth" (James 5:1-4).

Nor should we ignore the possibility that the very fact that A keeps his wealth, even if not unjustly obtained, itself might constitute an injustice. If A is starving and B has in excess, then A has a debt of justice to give to B. If he fails to do so, he commits an injustice against B. If the government intervenes, this would not constitute a theft. The thief would have been B, who has in excess and did not give to his starving neighbor A.

Eeset

LIFETIME MEMBER
Three most important? Answering that for local, state and federal governments is different. So I offer 3 for each....

Local
1. providing tax funded universal primary and secondary education.
2. police services
3. local infrastructure and related goods and services such as roads, sewer, zoning rules and so forth.

State
1. providing free universal post secondary education. This provides for our future.
2. providing the basic laws and regulations within which our citizens can function peacefully and equitably. This is very broad spanning such things as criminal law as well as licensing of various trades and activities.
3. Providing the pooling of resources level needed to address such things as natural disasters which strike randomly at various localities throughout the state. This too is very broad and covers such disparate activities as unemployment insurance and hurricane recovery.

Federal
1. National defense. The word defense should preclude wars of foreign intervention such as the Iraq invasion.
2. Justice within the framework of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. This too is broad and would include such things as regulation of the national economic framework for the common good. This includes everything from trust busting to universal health care as well as food and drug regulations.
3. The national currency and banking system.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for November 23rd, 2012 10:56 AM

toldailytopic: What do you think are the three most important roles of government?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Hamlet
Madame Twanky

Protecting her citizens
caring for the vulnerable and needy through wealth redistribution
enabling citizens to excel.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The role of government centers around matters of justice.

You are actually correct for once.

I grant that. But what if rich man A has obtained his money by committing an injustice against poor man B?

That is called stealing, and restitution is paid. Now back to your perversion. And thanks for posting. I haven't left you any neg rep in a while. :)

These things can be matters of justice. :idunno:

Let's see what God says.

Leviticus 19:15

15 ‘You shall do no injustice in judgment. You shall not be partial to the poor, nor honor the person of the mighty. In righteousness you shall judge your neighbor.

Exodus 23:3

3 You shall not show partiality to a poor man in his dispute.

So much for you evil ways, Trad. I wonder what you think of this.

Exodus 20

17 “You shall not covet your neighbor’s house; you shall not covet your neighbor’s wife, nor his male servant, nor his female servant, nor his ox, nor his donkey, nor anything that is your neighbor’s.”

So much for your "dispute".

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The government is to wield the sword of justice. That can be against citizens that commit crimes, or other governments. They are also responsible for infastructure.

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Per Francis Beattie, The Presbyterian Standards:

The end or purpose of civil government is also to be stated here.

It is twofold: First, It is for the glory of God. This means that God as King of kings ordains the institutions of civil government in order that thereby his name may be honored among men. This is, indeed, a noble conception of civil government, which princes and rulers will do well to remember.

Secondly, It is for the public good of the commonwealth. It is intended to secure order and the exercise of the liberty of the individual, in harmony with that measure of restraint upon that liberty which the general good requires. The great principles of the divine government, as unfolded in the Scriptures, if regarded by nations in the conduct of their civil affairs, will attain both of these ends. The glory of God and the good of the people will thereby be permanently secured.

The Confession adds, that in order to render the civil government effective for these ends, God has armed the civil magistrate with the power of the sword.

The purpose of this is to defend and encourage those that are good, and to restrain and punish evil-doers. The power of the sword is the power to inflict civil pains and penalties, such as the church is not entitled to inflict.

Hence, civil government is entitled to make proper laws, to institute those agencies necessary for the execution of these laws, and to inflict such punishments as may be just upon offenders.

Thus the church has the power of the keys, and the state has the power of the sword. Neither has the right to exercise the power of the other. The state has the right, not by mere arbitrary assumption, nor as the result of a social compact, but by the ordination of God, to inflict such penalties as the violation of the laws of the civil magistrate may incur. This is the true foundation, not only of civil government, but also of the punishment of offenders under it.​

Winterfall

Good idea for a TOD, Knight. :thumb:

;)

I go with four. Just to be difficult :D
Military,
Justice,
Infrastructure, and
Emergency response.

But don't all the elections revolve around things like medicine, schooling and employment? I wonder where all those issues went? :idunno:

I don't mean to nit pick, but wouldn't emergency response fall under infrastructure?

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I don't mean to nit pick, but wouldn't emergency response fall under infrastructure?

To some degree, yes. They should respond by hiring construction to quickly repair the infastructure following a natural disaster.

It isn't the governments place to evacuate the population, nor rebuild their homes when they build them under sea level like those idiots in New Orleans. Or put homes on the side of a cliff in an earthquack zone.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
What do you think are the three most important roles of government?

That's easy, but you should have asked for five:

1. establish Justice;
2. insure domestic Tranquility;
3. provide for the common defence.
4. promote the general Welfare;
5. and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity.

I suppose you could argue that five takes care of number three and one and two together take care of four. So if I had to I could make the case for one through three.

:e4e:

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Roles, dudes. Like specific tasks. Not philosophies.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
It isn't the governments place to evacuate the population, nor rebuild their homes when they build them under sea level like those idiots in New Orleans. Or put homes on the side of a cliff in an earthquack zone.

Excusez moi? I am not from New Orleans, but my love for Louisiana compells me to take (albeit very mild) offense at this. :noid:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I am not from New Orleans

I didn't say or imply you are. However, with my comment on them being idiots, I can understand how you would think I was refering to you. Since you are in fact, an idiot. :)

"A just wage is the legitimate fruit of work.

How do you determine what is legitimate fruit?

Agreement between the parties is not sufficient to justify morally the amount to be received in wages.

Matthew 20

12 saying, ‘These last men have worked only one hour, and you made them equal to us who have borne the burden and the heat of the day.’ 13 But he answered one of them and said, ‘Friend, I am doing you no wrong. Did you not agree with me for a denarius? 14 Take what is yours and go your way. I wish to give to this last man the same as to you. 15 Is it not lawful for me to do what I wish with my own things? Or is your eye evil because I am good?

He's talking about court cases. These verses have nothing to do with the topic of the thread. :idunno:

He is talking directly to you. Why do you think the poor man would be against the rich man in court?

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
I didn't say or imply you are. However, with my comment on them being idiots, I can understand how you would think I was refering to you. Since you are in fact, an idiot. :)

:plain:

How do you determine what is legitimate fruit?

You're quoting from the other thread, right? Well just keep reading the quote: the verse from the Catechism defines what the legitimate fruit of labor is. It is what is required to provide a dignified livelihood for oneself and one's family. That's a just wage.

Matthew 20

I've addressed this before, and I suppose I'll address it now. A denarius was a day's wages. He was not unjust to those who worked all day: he gave them what they deserved. Not because of their agreement. But because a denarius is pretty much taken to be a day's wages.

The point here is that he gave a day's wages to those who worked less than a day. The vineyard owner was being generous.

He is talking directly to you. Why do you think the poor man would be against the rich man in court?

Any number of reasons.

Poor man A rapes rich man B's daughter. Poor man A plays the "I'm poor!" card.

Poor man A gets into a fight with rich man B and ends up knocking rich man B's teeth out. Poor man A plays the "I'm poor!" card.

Poor man A steals jewelry from rich man B. Poor man A plays the "I'm poor!" card.

Newman

The government has no role in anything outside what can be properly delegated to it by those governed.

I can only delegate roles/powers/responsibilities that I have as an individual, bound by the natural rights of others.

This, of course, means a very small government based on the consent of 100% of those governed.