toldailytopic: What do you think are the three most important roles of government?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for November 23rd, 2012 10:56 AM

toldailytopic: What do you think are the three most important roles of government?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
The role of government centers around matters of justice. It seems to me as though its various exercises ultimately reduce to that.

PureX

To establish and protect equal freedom, equal justice, and equal opportunity for all it's citizens from threats both internal and external, naturally occurring or man-made.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The role of government centers around matters of justice. It seems to me as though its various exercises ultimately reduce to that.

To establish and protect equal freedom, equal justice, and equal opportunity for all it's citizens from threats both internal and external, naturally occurring or man-made.

^ This ...

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Good idea for a TOD, Knight. :thumb:

;)

I go with four. Just to be difficult :D
Military,
Justice,
Infrastructure, and
Emergency response.

But don't all the elections revolve around things like medicine, schooling and employment? I wonder where all those issues went? :idunno:

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
These things can be matters of justice. :idunno:

I'm sure you're able to call anything any other thing you want. Makes no sense to call Obamacare a justice program, however. Unless you're only interested in being dense.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
I'm sure you're able to call anything any other thing you want. Makes no sense to call Obamacare a justice program, however. Unless you're only interested in being dense.

"Justice is the moral virtue that consists in the constant and firm will to give their due to God and neighbor. Justice toward God is called the 'virtue of religion.' Justice toward men disposes one to respect the rights of each and to establish in human relationships the harmony that promotes equity with regard to persons and to the common good. The just man, often mentioned in the Sacred Scriptures, is distinguished by habitual right thinking and the uprightness of his conduct toward his neighbor. 'You shall not be partial to the poor or defer to the great, but in righteousness shall you judge your neighbor.'68 'Masters, treat your slaves justly and fairly, knowing that you also have a Master in heaven.'" (CCC 1807).

I could have quoted Plato or Aristotle (or various others), but I think that this pretty much sums it up. At its core, justice means giving what is due to each. If healthcare, education, wages, etc. are being distributed inequitably, then this becomes a matter of justice, and the government should step in.

Edit: This does not constitute a wholesale endorsement of Obamacare.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
"Justice is the moral virtue that consists in the constant and firm will to give their due to God and neighbor. Justice toward God is called the 'virtue of religion.' Justice toward men disposes one to respect the rights of each and to establish in human relationships the harmony that promotes equity with regard to persons and to the common good. The just man, often mentioned in the Sacred Scriptures, is distinguished by habitual right thinking and the uprightness of his conduct toward his neighbor. 'You shall not be partial to the poor or defer to the great, but in righteousness shall you judge your neighbor.'68 'Masters, treat your slaves justly and fairly, knowing that you also have a Master in heaven.'" (CCC 1807).I could have quoted Plato or Aristotle (or various others), but I think that this pretty much sums it up. At its core, justice means giving what is due to each. If healthcare, education, wages, etc. are being distributed inequitably, then this becomes a matter of justice, and the government should step in.Edit: This does not constitute a wholesale endorsement of Obamacare.

Dense it is then. :)

OMEGA

TO OBEY GOD !

Isa9:7 Of the increase of his government and peace there shall be no end,

upon the throne of David, and upon his kingdom,

to order it, and to establish it with judgment and

with justice from henceforth even for ever.

The zeal of the LORD of hosts will perform this.

jeremysdemo

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for November 23rd, 2012 10:56 AM

Democratic Government only has one role.

To represent the interest of the people.

some of which have already been expressed in the thread.

keep shinin

jerm :cool: