toldailytopic: What do you think are the three most important roles of government?

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
That the Government be simply as Abraham Lincoln said; Of the people, by the people and for the people.

duanekline

Well, I'll stick with the framers of the American constitution here. They gave us six options:
1. to form a more perfect union;
2. to establish justice;
3. to ensure domestic tranquility;
4. to provide for the common defence;
5. to promote the general welfare, and
6. to secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity.

Given those six options, I think I'll go with justice, welfare and liberty as the foundations for that more perfect union. I think that these reflect the best of the "two kingdoms" notion, and communicate a hopefulness based on God's grace...

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
You need a better dictionary for Christmas. :poly:I was waiting on you to say: crescent, yeast and spring. :eek:

A dictionary? Something like this:
role - the actions and activities assigned to or required or expected of a person or group

A philosophy of government may dictate how one acts. But the OP isn't about philosophy. It's about specific functions and tasks.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
A dictionary? Something like this:
role - the actions and activities assigned to or required or expected of a person or group
Why not limit it to the part an actor takes in a play or similar performance? :rolleyes:

Here's an example in Webster's in line with a more general application:

She challenged the traditional roles assigned to women.

That is decidedly less mechanistic. Similarly, if I say the role a father plays with his children is of great importance I've announced a larger principle to be set out in parts or not.

A philosophy of government may dictate how one acts. But the OP isn't about philosophy. It's about specific functions and tasks.
No, it wasn't set out that way. Here it is again:

What do you think are the three most important roles of government?

Not: what are the three most important acts a government performs?

I could say to set law and boundaries and that is a role/function of government. It's just a general one that can be further set out in particular function. And I can and did announce philosophical statements with pragmatic implications.

Zeke

Well, I'll stick with the framers of the American constitution here. They gave us six options:
1. to form a more perfect union;
2. to establish justice;
3. to ensure domestic tranquility;
4. to provide for the common defence;
5. to promote the general welfare, and
6. to secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity.

Given those six options, I think I'll go with justice, welfare and liberty as the foundations for that more perfect union. I think that these reflect the best of the "two kingdoms" notion, and communicate a hopefulness based on God's grace...

Define us in the minds of the founders! you will fined your six options were not applied to everyone.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Define us in the minds of the founders! you will fined your six options were not applied to everyone.
Eh, they failed their own principles. It's been a struggle. But eventually racial and gender inequity before the law were addressed. Today we short change the unborn, but their day will come as well.

I would say it's five though, not six, with the first on duanekline's list being more the mission statement and what follows being principles to apply toward that.

eameece

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for November 23rd, 2012 10:56 AM

toldailytopic: What do you think are the three most important roles of government?

1. to provide for the common defense
2. to promote the general welfare
3. to secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Why not limit it to the part an actor takes in a play or similar performance? :rolleyes:
Because we're not talking about a movie. :rolleyes:

Here's an example in Webster's in line with a more general application:She challenged the traditional roles assigned to women.That is decidedly less mechanistic. Similarly, if I say the role a father plays with his children is of great importance I've announced a larger principle to be set out in parts or not.
A usable response is in the form of a list of functions. If you're just going to answer with a philosophy, it's kinda pointless. You might as well say the main role of a government is to be democratic or republican.

No, it wasn't set out that way. Here it is again:Not: what are the three most important acts a government performs?I could say to set law and boundaries and that is a role/function of government. It's just a general one that can be further set out in particular function. And I can and did announce philosophical statements with pragmatic implications.
You are free to answer however you like. :idunno:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Because we're not talking about a movie. :rolleyes:
We're also not necessarily talking about the sort of specificity you attempted to color the question with. A philosophical answer is a good beginning because it can cover a number or lesser included acts.

A usable response is in the form of a list of functions. If you're just going to answer with a philosophy, it's kinda pointless.
Only if you view the question as a call for a specific instead of general function. Because that's the difference here.

You might as well say the main role of a government is to be democratic or republican.
Not really the parallel. Supra.

You are free to answer however you like. :idunno:
Thanks. You too...mostly. :plain:

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
We're also not necessarily talking about the sort of specificity you attempted to color the question with. A philosophical answer is a good beginning because it can cover a number or lesser included acts.
OK.

But it doesn't really help.

Only if you view the question as a call for a specific instead of general function. Because that's the difference here.
Philosophies are boring.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The point is: elections are won and lost by politicians talking about things like jobs and education. Neither of those feature on anyone's lists unless they start up Trad-talk and include medicine under justice.

Newman

The roles of government are delegated to it by those governed, correct?

Three most important? Answering that for local, state and federal governments is different. So I offer 3 for each....

Local
1. providing tax funded universal primary and secondary education.

Can you take money from others, even if your intentions are good, like building a school and paying teachers?

2. police services
3. local infrastructure and related goods and services such as roads, sewer, zoning rules and so forth.

Can you properly delegate this responsibility? Do you have this authority/responsibility as an individual?

State
1. providing free universal post secondary education. This provides for our future.

Do you educate for "free"? Can you delegate this responsibility to others?

2. providing the basic laws and regulations within which our citizens can function peacefully and equitably. This is very broad spanning such things as criminal law as well as licensing of various trades and activities.

Do you as an individual have the authority to require or even inquire the accrediting of businesses outside of your own purposes and interaction with the business?

3. Providing the pooling of resources level needed to address such things as natural disasters which strike randomly at various localities throughout the state. This too is very broad and covers such disparate activities as unemployment insurance and hurricane recovery.

Do you have the right to take money from some to give to others, even as charity? Can you properly delegate this right even if you don't have it yourself?

Federal
1. National defense. The word defense should preclude wars of foreign intervention such as the Iraq invasion.

Self defense is a right. Defending your neighbor is an honorable thing to do. But, are you responsible for your neighbor's defense?

2. Justice within the framework of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. This too is broad and would include such things as regulation of the national economic framework for the common good. This includes everything from trust busting to universal health care as well as food and drug regulations.

Do you as an individual carry this authority?

3. The national currency and banking system.

Of course, you can trade any good you own for anything somebody else owns as long as it is a voluntary transaction, but can you as an individual require your trading partner to accept what you offer in trade? It's not a voluntary transaction, then, is it? Can you properly delegate the authority to enforce/provide "legal tender" for some arbitrary geographic area, then?

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Help who? :plain:
A conversation worth engaging in. :idunno:

They're the foundation of government. But if you think talking about trash pickup is more exciting than establishing justice...:eek:
:AMR:

I had justice at the top of my list. Establishing a justice system is a role of government. An important one in my book. Defence is another. Infrastructure is another. What I'm wondering is why these sorts of roles are at the top of everyone's lists when elections revolve around things like jobs, education and medicine.

But it seems people want to avoid talking about that by calling medicine "justice".

Zeke

Eh, they failed their own principles. It's been a struggle. But eventually racial and gender inequity before the law were addressed. Today we short change the unborn, but their day will come as well.

I would say it's five though, not six, with the first on duanekline's list being more the mission statement and what follows being principles to apply toward that.

I think its time to admit its failed, and try another way, the principles have a sound ring to them but lost the power to be considered meritious when the doctrine of forced compulsion raises its ugly head and splinters the foundational (not the founders) meanings of those terms.

Plus the ability to deceive is a ever present sibling that needs to burn up resources in maintenance of those dirty little secrets, the mastery of double speak to hide the two contradictory positions of both parties, is used to confuse and deflect from the fact that they are the problem.