toldailytopic: Theistic evolution: best arguments for, or against.

genuineoriginal

Actually, I am more a fan of a good peaty single malt Scotch.

Scotch whiskey? The distilled essence of windswept upland moors and the silver flash of trout glimpsed in a swift-flowing rill, of gorse and heather and quick-winged grouse. It's a peat fire on a gelid morning, a shaft of sun in a cloud-stunted sky. "It belongs to the alchemist's den and to the long nights shot with cold, flickering beams" as Aeneas MacDonald wrote back in 1930. "It is compact of Druid spells and Sabbaths."

As for its Irish twin (fraternal, not identical), why, that'll be nothing else but bottled Blarney -- a golden-tongued tipple that'll talk your ear off with beguiling tales of brawn-backed giants and keen-eyed lasses with hair the exact color the last rays of sunset make when they glint off a well-polished gold brooch. It's a Leprechaun's laugh, a pooka's song, the dew the little folk brush off the leaves on a misty morning.
(source)
Webpage does use strong language, so be warned.

noguru

:darwinsm: Didn't take long for A4T to peg noguru.

Yeah that was reall good.

Brilliant!

:rotfl:

Exactly why no one listens to you fools. If only you would learn to get your priorities straight.

(And I sense another "What are you on about?" coming from the oh so wise Stripe.)

noguru

You should start in Genesis and read the Bible through to the end to find out.
One highlight is that the shepherds were able to walk out of Egypt with a lot of expensive gifts without the Egyptians being able to stop them.
Another highlight is that they established peace in the Middle East and were sought out for their wisdom.
Another highlight is that they migrated into all the nations of the earth and have been able to keep their cultural identity intact.
Another highlight is that they have regained their homeland after 2500 years of exile.

There are many more accomplishments listed in the Bible besides these ones.

If you have anything to match those accomplishments, let me know.

And another highlight is that the descendants of that group think people like you don't know your arse from your elbow. :rotfl:

Sum1sGruj

BANNED
Banned
Have they done it for 2500 years while Ireland has been overrun and fully occupied by other cultures?

If I'm not mistaken, that is where Halloween came from. When they adopted Catholicism, they had an age old tradition in which they would honor the dead. The Church eventually made this day All Saints Eve, or, Halloween.

Jukia

Scotch whiskey? The distilled essence of windswept upland moors and the silver flash of trout glimpsed in a swift-flowing rill, of gorse and heather and quick-winged grouse. It's a peat fire on a gelid morning, a shaft of sun in a cloud-stunted sky. "It belongs to the alchemist's den and to the long nights shot with cold, flickering beams" as Aeneas MacDonald wrote back in 1930. "It is compact of Druid spells and Sabbaths."

As for its Irish twin (fraternal, not identical), why, that'll be nothing else but bottled Blarney -- a golden-tongued tipple that'll talk your ear off with beguiling tales of brawn-backed giants and keen-eyed lasses with hair the exact color the last rays of sunset make when they glint off a well-polished gold brooch. It's a Leprechaun's laugh, a pooka's song, the dew the little folk brush off the leaves on a misty morning.
(source)
Webpage does use strong language, so be warned.

Spectacular, thanks.

noguru

Have they done it for 2500 years while Ireland has been overrun and fully occupied by other cultures?

They kept their cultural identity by not subjecting themselves to the religions which surrounded them. You know like pagans, and muslims, and christians... Is that really something you want to advertise.

noguru

If I'm not mistaken, that is where Halloween came from. When they adopted Catholicism, they had an age old tradition in which they would honor the dead. The Church eventually made this day All Saints Eve, or, Halloween.

I thought Halloween came from an ancient Gaelic celebration of the end of the harvest. It may have morphed and been synthesized from two seperate celebrations into one.

History of halloween

Sum1sGruj

BANNED
Banned
I thought Halloween came from an ancient Gaelic celebration of the end of the harvest. It may have morphed and been synthesized from two seperate celebrations into one.

History of halloween

That sounds familiar, yes. I don't know all about these things. I do know that there was something having to do with the dead, perhaps that may have been synced in there somewhere. After all, Halloween is spooky :D

I have no idea where to fit in with this thread. All I see is whiskey, scotch, shepherd, Middle-East :chuckle:

genuineoriginal

That sounds familiar, yes. I don't know all about these things. I do know that there was something having to do with the dead, perhaps that may have been synced in there somewhere. After all, Halloween is spooky :D

I have no idea where to fit in with this thread. All I see is whiskey, scotch, shepherd, Middle-East :chuckle:

Are you trying to say the thread has been hijacked?
:eek:

Here is a brief recap:
Some people believe in theistic evolution based on changing the six days of creation into millions of years. Other people say that a belief in the Bible is foolish because it was written by shepherds in the Middle East instead of good scotch drinking druids.

Got it?

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned

The Irish have been notably indifferent to high kings, which makes them relatively easy to invade. The same inclination makes it particularly hard for the invader to avoid being culturally assimilated by the more vigorous Irish culture. Vikings, Danes, Normans, and English have tried it, and ended up mostly being "more Irish than the Irish", or being tossed out when the Irish finally set aside their differences to deal with the interlopers.

eameece

crying-baby.jpg

Well Angel, I guess it just shows you don't like posting here very much. So go away. :wave:

(or stay, it doesn't matter to me)

eameece

Add to this the assumption that the Earth was rotating
If you can add that assumption, I can add the assumption that a day refers to God's time, not ours. Eons.
and we have the bible clearly stating that the days of creation were in fact days of creation. Add to that the fact that Deuteronomy and Exodus also teach six days of creation and we have repetition. Add to that the fact that nowhere in the bible does it say the creation week was not six days and we have an uncontradicted account.

Six days of creation explicitly denies evolution.
No it doesn't it all; it just says it (evolution or creation, take your pick) happened in 6 days, which can be of any length, since there was no Sun till the 4th day. The later books were just repeating Genesis as the original account.

eameece

You should start in Genesis and read the Bible through to the end to find out.
One highlight is that the shepherds were able to walk out of Egypt with a lot of expensive gifts without the Egyptians being able to stop them.
There is no evidence that the exodus even existed.
Another highlight is that they established peace in the Middle East and were sought out for their wisdom.
They were at war constantly and often committed mass murder-- according to the Bible. And are doing the same since regaining their homeland.

Sum1sGruj

BANNED
Banned
Are you trying to say the thread has been hijacked?
:eek:

Here is a brief recap:
Some people believe in theistic evolution based on changing the six days of creation into millions of years. Other people say that a belief in the Bible is foolish because it was written by shepherds in the Middle East instead of good scotch drinking druids.

Got it?

It has been said that there is a special place in Hell for people who waste good scotch :chuckle:, but I do not see how it matters. The Nords were alcoholics and their god just so happened to be, coincidentally, Odin. God of war.

Wait, what., you don't say?!
:rotfl:

Not that I don't sympathize a bit. The white man can surely drink, including myself, all of history tells it :thumb:

Sum1sGruj

BANNED
Banned
There is no evidence that the exodus even existed.

There is evidence, and the evidence is in Scripture and in that Egypt is not going to waste ample time recording how God dismissed their gods and pillaged their land. The age of information is today, not then. There is no evidence that the Mayans ever existed except through their very limited literature. But you do not deny that because it has nothing to with God.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
If you can add that assumption, I can add the assumption that a day refers to God's time, not ours. Eons.No it doesn't it all; it just says it (evolution or creation, take your pick) happened in 6 days, which can be of any length, since there was no Sun till the 4th day. The later books were just repeating Genesis as the original account.

Which means you're inventing your own definitions for words. :idunno: