toldailytopic: Theistic evolution: best arguments for, or against.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for January 26th, 2012 08:54 AM

toldailytopic: Theistic evolution: best arguments for, or against.

TheisticEvolution.jpg

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

some other dude

The best your god could come up with is a process that leads to loss of function or death more often than improvement?

:mock:your god

As did Solomon say:

Ecclesiastes 3:18
I also said to myself, “As for humans, God tests them so that they may see that they are like the animals."

Is it not humbling to know that you share common ancestors with apes? That sounds like a proper way to put the proud ways of men in their place.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
IMO, it's ridiculous. Pick one or the other: Evolution or Biblical Creation.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Theistic evolution, far as I can see, is a religious belief. Evolutionary theory is a scientific theory, which cannot comment on God at all, being unable to confirm or deny the supernatural.

One can be a theist and acknowledge the fact of evolution, of course.

And yes, capitalism is the most efficient way of allocating goods and services, much as evolution is the most efficient way of increasing fitness. Engineers now use evolutionary processes to solve complicated problems that are too difficult for design.

eameece

Well, for one thing... it's a topic that doesn't have anything to do with the Republican party.

Ha! Republicans are religious right conservatives who want schools to teach intelligent design. It's part of the culture wars.

eameece

IMO, it's ridiculous. Pick one or the other: Evolution or Biblical Creation.

IMO, THAT is what is ridiculous. It's not one or the other. It's both combined; creative evolution, and the evolution of consciousness. It's an ongoing process of emanation; of involution and evolution, as the kaballah interprets the creation story in Genesis.

The Bible already says creation took place in 7 stages. Some people say evolution took place in seven stages too. These seven stages are also within our souls as the chakras.

God Itself is evolving, growing and changing through time AS US, NOW eternally.

God is not a supernatural dictator who creates things finished once and for all. Even Genesis does not say that. God is the Absolute who was, is and ever shall be, always the same. God is ALSO the visible, changing world. Everything is God, or God would not be the Absolute.
God is not separate from God's creation.

The Big Bang is happening now. It could never have happened any other time than now. Looking for the source of creation in the past, is like saying the wake of a ship drives the ship, and that is REALLY to make the tail wag the dog!

Doesn't involve the Republican Party? The choice for and against is one of the ways the Republican Party seeks to divide us. The only viable choice is to throw away the choice.

It's time the Christians on this forum joined the 21st century, so America can advance again. Sadly, that's not going to happen any time soon. You want to stay in the past, like dinosaurs. :sigh:

eameece

Theistic evolution, far as I can see, is a religious belief. Evolutionary theory is a scientific theory, which cannot comment on God at all, being unable to confirm or deny the supernatural.

Only a combination of science and mystical religion can arrive at the truth about our one world.
And yes, capitalism is the most efficient way of allocating goods and services, much as evolution is the most efficient way of increasing fitness. Engineers now use evolutionary processes to solve complicated problems that are too difficult for design.
What happens is that design evolves, through learning. Engineers design something, by conceiving an idea usually to meet a real need in the world; then try it out in the real world, and revise it, and discover new design ideas, and try them out. Creation and evolution combined.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Because Knight forgot that it DOES have something to do with the Republican Party. Good topic though anyway.

I'm willing to bet that some people pondered origins before there even was a republican party, and if they didn't, and everyone up till then considered creation factual then I would wonder if I were you, why billions of people believed one thing for so long going back to the beginnings and why there is just now in the last 100 years or so another hypothesis especially since evolution claims we've all been around so long....

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
IMO, THAT is what is ridiculous. It's not one or the other. It's both combined; creative evolution, and the evolution of consciousness. It's an ongoing process of emanation; of involution and evolution, as the kaballah interprets the creation story in Genesis.

*I* personally do not care what you believe or don't believe. Every bible I have owned (yes, I actually owned a few) spoke of a *literal* creation.

The Bible already says creation took place in 7 stages. Some people say evolution took place in seven stages too. These seven stages are also within our souls as the chakras.

God Itself is evolving, growing and changing through time AS US, NOW eternally.

God is not a supernatural dictator who creates things finished once and for all. Even Genesis does not say that. God is the Absolute who was, is and ever shall be, always the same. God is ALSO the visible, changing world. Everything is God, or God would not be the Absolute.
God is not separate from God's creation.

The Big Bang is happening now. It could never have happened any other time than now. Looking for the source of creation in the past, is like saying the wake of a ship drives the ship, and that is REALLY to make the tail wag the dog!

Doesn't involve the Republican Party? The choice for and against is one of the ways the Republican Party seeks to divide us. The only viable choice is to throw away the choice.

It's time the Christians on this forum joined the 21st century, so America can advance again. Sadly, that's not going to happen any time soon. You want to stay in the past, like dinosaurs. :sigh:

:chuckle: Yup ... you have it all figured. My whole reason for answering as I did is because I am a Christian dinosaur.

Thanks for playing!

The Berean

Ok, I'll bite. I've been a professional engineer since 1998 and have three engineering degrees. I've never used evolutionary processes in my work. What evolutionary processes are we engineers using to solve complex problems? :idunno:

some other dude

Don't you know TB?

Engineers take something that works and then make random deletions and additions to see what makes it work better.

For example, if you start with this:

websluggy.jpg

And make random changes, you get these:

These didn't work very well.
1917+car+wreck+at+Massachusetts+Avenue-3.JPG

423727983_dac49569c5.jpg

stock-photo-vintage-photo-of-a-plane-after-crash-291909.jpg

But they led to this!

space-shuttle-launch3a.jpg