toldailytopic: Purgatory and limbo. Does such a place exist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for June 8th, 2010 10:55 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Cruciform

Purgatory and limbo. Does such a place exist?
Purgatory, yes. Limbo, no.

Purgatory isn't so much a place as it is a state of existence. It is a doctrine of the intermediate state between physical death and the general resurrection of believers which has been believed and taught in the Church from the beginning.
Limbo, on the other hand, was a pious opinion that became popular in the Church, especially during the Medieval Period, and was intended to answer the question of what happened to infants who died prior to baptism. It was never a formally defined teaching (dogma) of the Catholic faith.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

Last edited:

elohiym

Purgatory isn't so much a place as it is a state of existence.

Where is that "state of existence" described in the scriptures? :idunno:

Ec 9:5 For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing...

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
before I comment on this I want to check with AMR to see if a Catholic must believe in either one

epilogue

“All who die in God’s grace and friendship, but still imperfectly purified, are indeed assured of their eternal salvation; but after death they undergo purification, so as to achieve the holiness necessary to enter the joy of heaven”
Catechism of the Catholic Church

Purgatory is our final sanctification so we are perfect as we need to be to enter heaven.

“Nothing unclean may come into it” [the New Jerusalem, i.e. heaven] (Rev 21:27).
“You must therefore be perfect just as your heavenly Father is perfect” (Mt 5:48)

In practice Protestants have something similar in "glorification"
Glorification is the third stage of Christian development. The first being justification, then sanctification, and finally glorification. (Rom. 8:28-30) Glorification is the completion, the consummation, the perfection, the full realization of salvation.
(Wikipedia)

Added:
Jews have something similar:
“According to Judaism, the purifying process that a sullied soul undergoes to cleanse it from its spiritual uncleanliness is a temporary one, and is restorative in its intent, and not punitive, as many mistakenly believe. Ultimately, all Jews have portion in the World to Come, as do Righteous Gentiles, non-Jews who observe the Seven Noahide Commandments.” (see this link http://www.chabad.org/library/articl...-teachings.htm)

[FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
I think I saw purgatory every time I visited a nursing home
so
instead of praying for them
why not
just visit them?

epilogue

Where is that "state of existence" described in the scriptures? :idunno:

Ec 9:5 For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing...

Why not finish the verse:
......There is no recompense for them, because all memory of them is lost.

So if you take the first part literally then you must take the second part literally and deny there is any eternal reward.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame

Yes. It is a state of beings sandwiched between Alabama and Louisiana and is filled with virtuous peons...:plain:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
To be absent from the body is to be present someplace else. For those in Christ, there is one choice. Not two.

Those that are dead have once choice, not two.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame

Yes. It is a state of beings sandwiched between Alabama and Louisiana and is filled with virtuous peons...:plain:

:reals: No it is not! It is a place where Wyatt Earp is; I saw it in a picture show, or move, one of those things. Only a cowboy outlaw can stumble into Purgatory and since you have no horse, how would you know where it is?:argue:

:Shimei: Limbo, is where babies go first:jolly: Then they go:shut: muh muh!

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
To be absent from the body is to be present someplace else. For those in Christ, there is one choice. Not two.

Those that are dead have once choice, not two.

Have already been chosen too, not two:wave2:

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

There is no such thing as Purgatory or Limbo.

Paul says the following:

(Phil 1:21-24)

21 For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain.

22 But if I live in the flesh, this is the fruit of my labour: yet what I shall choose I wot not.

23 For I am in a strait betwixt two, having a desire to depart, and to be with Christ; which is far better:

24 Nevertheless to abide in the flesh is more needful for you.

Jesus said the following to the thief:

(Luke 23:43) And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, Today shalt thou be with me in paradise.

And finally, the ultimate anti-purgatory proof text:

(2 Cor 5:8) We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord.

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Or...it is living next to the Land of Enchantment.

;)

AMR
(in Arizona)

Status
Not open for further replies.