toldailytopic: Oprah Winfrey: trustworthy talk show host, or lunatic liberal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

allsmiles

I'm trying so hard to refrain from inserting myself into this conversation, allsmiles...:chuckle: (inside joke)

I have found it rather entertaining.

PS - Oprah's beliefs are easier to accept because they are cotton candy. They taste pretty good (to some people...I have never liked cotton candy), but they completely lack any substance.

No one has taken the time to prove this assertion. The only lack of substance there is is within the posts of my Christian counter parts here.

allsmiles

All right, I'm back.

It's Saturday night and I have places I need to be.

El, now you know what it's like arguing with a Christian :thumb:

His "sin" concept is simply a problem-reaction-solution setup. He created a fictitious concept called sin (the problem), that creates a reaction in his audience to desire to fix the problem that conveniently he offers the solution for.

:rotfl:

I love it when you guys see it everywhere but in your own belief system. You guys crack me up.

Gotta run :wave2:

Thunder's Muse

So he states what appears to be self-evident. The reader thinks, "hey, he's onto something."

Right. He tells you to work to "let go of all that stuff." He tells you how to do it...kinda...right? What does he tell you to do to let go of all that stuff? That's what his customers pay to learn from him, the meditations, exercises, and neurolinguistic programming techniques. They pay big bucks for it, too; but ultimately, they are merely placed on a treadmill of working to "get right" by Tolle's standard.

His "pain body" concept is simply a problem-reaction-solution setup. He created a fictitious concept called the pain body (the problem), that creates a reaction in his audience and desire to fix the problem that conveniently he offers the solution for.

At approximately 2:25 in that video he contradicts his whole "pain body" concept when he states that when you see your own drama as illusion you either laugh or smile, failing to realize that he just got through explaining that when people laugh at an illusory drama on a T.V. screen it's the "pain body" laughing, enjoying, and craving it.

His teaching on the pain body is completely incoherent. I hope you can now see that. If not, watch the video again and look for his contradiction around 2:25.

OK. I see what you are getting at.

I read his books about a year ago, when I was desperatly seeking some inner peace and the things he says about thoughts etc was quite helpful for me, because my thoughts were causing a lot of my pain. It may not be Biblical but it did help me...I can't see that being a bad thing :)

elohiym

I love it when you guys see it everywhere but in your own belief system.

Who says I don't see a similar problem in Christianity. It's called the saved by works crowd.

As for your ignorance regarding sin, and what I personally believe, it's beyond the scope of this thread.

We're here to discuss Oprah; and since her beliefs are formed based on Tolle's teachings, him, too.

Wessex Man

She believes there are many ways to "god" and if she does anything for charity she has to make it known so that people will praise her.

That does not make one wicked. The Perennialists believe the same, though probably in a different way to Oprah, and are not evil, wicked or conceited.

Wessex Man

No one has taken the time to prove this assertion. The only lack of substance there is is within the posts of my Christian counter parts here.

So what you are saying it seems is a few warm and fuzzy statements from Oprah are akin to traditional Christianity and presumably Islam, Hinduism etc with there evolved and worked out systems of metaphysics, theology, mysticism, exegesis, doctrine, ethics, symbolism, tradition, religious philosophy and so on? Seems rather dubious to me.

Wessex Man

Even the name couldn't sound more ominous! :shocked:

Really? He's obviously named after Meister Eckhart. I can't think of many greater Christian philosophers and scholars than Meister Eckhart. You might as well claim being called Aquinas Tolle or Augustine Tolle or Irenaeus Tolle is ominous.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
What makes you say that?

The sewage the comes from the hole under her nose. She is the exact definition of "anti-Christ" as described in the Bible. She denies that Jesus is God, the messiah.

And of course all the lies she tells on the show through liberal "expert" guests. Like don't eat red meat. I think it was Chris Rock who said' "more like, don't eat green meat".

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
All right, I'm back.

It's Saturday night and I have places I need to be.

El, now you know what it's like arguing with a Christian :thumb:

:rotfl:

I love it when you guys see it everywhere but in your own belief system. You guys crack me up.

Gotta run :wave2:

So, what is the out of pocket expense to be a Christian?

Persephone66

BANNED
Banned
Save for not giving me anything, I really have nothing against Oprah.

I'm not a fan, but I'll admit I think what she's done with her life is pretty amazing. She's got my respect.

allsmiles

So what you are saying it seems is a few warm and fuzzy statements from Oprah are akin to traditional Christianity and presumably Islam, Hinduism etc with there evolved and worked out systems of metaphysics, theology, mysticism, exegesis, doctrine, ethics, symbolism, tradition, religious philosophy and so on? Seems rather dubious to me.

I'm saying Oprah has achieved much in her own lifetime and she espouses beliefs that obviously work not only for herself but probably for millions around the globe. I'm saying that it has taken Christianity two thousand years to become the morbidly obese juggernaut we know and love today. The same stuff I've been saying for the past few pages.

allsmiles

So, what is the out of pocket expense to be a Christian?

In my family and at the churches I've attended in my life, the out of pocket expense was in the neighborhood of ten percent. I suppose it is whatever one wants it to be.

The Horn

BANNED
Banned
At least Oprah has never said that those who don't agree with her religious beliefs are doomed to hellfire , which is more than can be said for many Christians .

Status
Not open for further replies.