toldailytopic: Oprah Winfrey: trustworthy talk show host, or lunatic liberal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
She's accomplished more in her lifetime than Jesus allegedly did in his. She's standing as a model in the here and now and will be a model of excellence, real excellence, for generations to come. She's doing pretty much what Jesus is alleged to have done, minus the blood bath at the end. She's doing it better. It took how long for Christianity to do what it's done? She's only one woman who has achieved the status of living legend within her own lifetime. There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with following Oprah and Eckhart. What are you so scared of? Proof that people don't need Jesus except as a way of escaping punishment?

However, she is a woman who attracts those who kowtow to the therapeutic state.

MaryContrary

Hall of Fame
That accounts for the...
Far more preferable to me than the glorification of a brutal act of barbarism. Having faith in oneself, being passionate about oneself and one's talent towards a worthy cause, is what drives people to succeed. That sounds like a fantastic foundation for a religion. There's nothing counter-intuitive about it, it doesn't insult my intellect with bizarre schemes (Jesus is his own father).
...out of touch insults, the dunning-kruger syndrome and the cognitive dissonance erupting violently from your posts.
:rotfl: Dude! Seriously?! :rotfl:

elohiym

∅2L84U;2198838 said:
:doh: I should have known. :vomit:

Oh yeah. Winfrey and Tolle are both big business.

After Winfrey promoted his book, he earned over 3 million dollars according to him. She's partnered with him in business. They're raking in the cash.

Jesus didn't even have a bed to sleep in.

allsmiles

∅2L84U;2198810 said:
We're not discussing pie eating contests.

What a silly thing to say. Oprah's success is of epic proportions and no one can question that. Her success can be defined and quantified and compared to the success of others, including Jesus. The success of Jesus' alleged mission is impossible to measure.

She's an ignorant pig.

As compared to who? You?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning-Kruger

She's certainly has seduced you. Maybe you should get a big silver O to wear around your neck.

What a silly thing to say. Very much along the lines of "well why dontcha marry her?"

If you're going to redact my posts so heavily, don't respond to them at all. I make it a point to answer everyone as thoroughly as I possibly can and I expect the same thoughtful intensity from everyone who attempts to engage me.

allsmiles

Are you familiar with his specific teachings at all to claim that they are coherent? Yes or no.

I'll admit as much as MaryC admitted: Tolle's beliefs lead one on a path to the glorification of the self.

You obviously didn't even explore his website. If you had, you would know that there are none of his teachings on that website. It's purely a promotional website, not an educational website where one can learn about his specific teachings.

I've been digging deeper than his website, thanks. Give me a little credit.

What?

Share with us one of his teachings that you think is profound and coherent.

I don't understand why you think I would acquiesce to your frantic little demands. That there is something to what Tolle and Oprah preach seems to be a demonstrable fact. Why else would Open Eyes be trying to demonize them?

Sozo again

allsmiles... if you want people to take you seriously, you have to stop saying so many stupid things that all we can do is laugh and smile :D

elohiym

The success of Jesus' alleged mission is impossible to measure.

Does one third of the world population claim to follow Oprah? How many holidays celebrated throughout the world have anything to do with Oprah?

Hey, if you want to measure success by just market share and dollars, as you seem to be doing, the Jesus industry is far, far bigger than the Oprah industry.

Thunder's Muse

elohiym, can you explain to me why Tolle's teachings are bad? All I got from his books was to let go of the conflict in my mind and let God direct me.... am I missing something?

Sozo again

She's a talk show host.

You know Bozo was a great clown, but I don't see anyone worshiping him.

Oh wait... I'll bet I really hit a nerve with allsmiles this time. :zakath:

elohiym

I don't understand why you think I would acquiesce to your frantic little demands.

Frantic little demands? :chuckle:

No. You claimed that Tolle's teachings are coherent as opposed to your perception of Christian teachings, yet you can't share with us even one of Tolle's teachings to prove they are coherent. I'm simply asking you to support your claim because I think you don't know anything about Tolle's teachings.

MaryContrary

Hall of Fame
Hey, if you want to measure success by just market share and dollars, as you seem to be doing, the Jesus industry is far, far bigger than the Oprah industry.
No, no. His argument is that Christianity glorifies human sacrifice and brutal acts of barbarism while Oprah is just being passionate about herself, using her talent towards worthy causes and driving people to succeed.

Now how he can take the time to actually put that into words and type it out without instant realizing he twisted both Christianity and Oprah's new age babble out of whack, I dunno. And, more specifically, what his need to twist both so grossly out of whack here should suggest to him.

I didn't think Allsmiles lacked that much insight. :squint:

allsmiles

Does one third of the world population claim to follow Oprah? How many holidays celebrated throughout the world have anything to do with Oprah?

Good point. Months are named after emperors and days are named after pagan gods. Even Christmas and easter were originally pagan holidays. I doubt you'd attest to the veracity and efficacy of emperor worship or to the existence of greco-roman gods. Belief in Jesus is not evidence of the veracity of Christian beliefs. Belief in oneself is inescapable and when enhanced it seems to have very demonstrable and positive results.

Oprah came from nothing and she did it without Jesus. She doesn't need Jesus and I think that's why you feel so threatened.

We can imagine any number of bizarre ideas are true.

Hey, if you want to measure success by just market share and dollars, the Jesus industry is far, far bigger than the Oprah industry.

Belief in Jesus is big business. You all hope very much that you're right and there's no way to measure whether or not you are. Oprah is one woman who, within her lifetime, has achieved the status of legend and all of the grade school insults in the world can't change that. Jesus, if he existed at all, didn't reach anywhere near as much regard as Oprah within his lifetime and it has indeed taken some two thousand years to build the morbidly obese juggernaut that we have today, that being the Jesus industry.

allsmiles

Frantic little demands? :chuckle:

I see what I see. I don't tell you what you see.

No. You claimed that Tolle's teachings are coherent as opposed to your perception of Christian teachings, yet you can't share with us even one of Tolle's teachings to prove they are coherent. I'm simply asking you to support your claim because I think you don't know anything about Tolle's teachings.

I said that after only a cursory examination Tolle's beliefs seem simpler and more coherent than the beliefs of Christianity.

Do you know me at all? I think you and Tolle are both nuts. I think Tolle is less nuts than you. Get the picture?

elohiym

An example of Eckhart Tolle's incoherency....

Pain Bodies

Allsmiles calls that coherent. :chuckle:

At the same time he implies that this is incoherent...

Mat 5:44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;

MaryContrary

Hall of Fame
Belief in oneself is inescapable and when enhanced it seems to have very demonstrable and positive results.

Oprah came from nothing and she did it without Jesus. She doesn't need Jesus and I think that's why you feel so threatened.
I wouldn't trade my life for ten of hers. So pardon me if I'm unimpressed all over the place.

But I can see why you're so smitten. She represents a compelling lie that one can accomplish anything of substance without God. No wonder you're so rabid about her.

:yawn:

Oh, pardon me. Was completely underwhelmed there for a moment.

allsmiles

No, no. His argument is that Christianity glorifies human sacrifice and brutal acts of barbarism while Oprah is just being passionate about herself, using her talent towards worthy causes and driving people to succeed.

Christianity does glorify barbarism. I understand that you find my characterization distasteful. You haven't lifted a finger to show how I've been wrong about anything, so why dontcha get to it or get off my back?

Now how he can take the time to actually put that into words and type it out without instant realizing he twisted both Christianity and Oprah's new age babble out of whack, I dunno. And, more specifically, what his need to twist both so grossly out of whack here should suggest to him.

I didn't think Allsmiles lacked that much insight. :squint:

Why don't you actually point out what I've said that is so egregiously out of touch with reality? I take the time to be thorough with you people and I try not to leave too much up to your imaginations. I don't have a hard time being honest about what I think around these parts, why don't you return the courtesy? I don't care that you don't like me, but if I'm wrong, show me. I want to know so I can correct the error of my ways. I mean it.

allsmiles

I wouldn't trade my life for ten of hers. So pardon me if I'm unimpressed all over the place.

:squint:

Really?

But I can see why you're so smitten. She represents a compelling lie that one can accomplish anything of substance without God. No wonder you're so rabid about her.

There's no way to know if she's lying or not. I have no particular beliefs, I have nothing to lose. I can't get defensive, but you can and you are. You don't fool me with your coy posts in which you talk about me as if I'm not in the discussion. I've been driving this thread lady.

:yawn:

Oh, pardon me. Was completely underwhelmed there for a moment.

I feel like I'm talking to a teen aged girl. This is frustrating.

MaryContrary

Hall of Fame
An example of Eckhart Tolle's incoherency....

I couldn't get past 2:00, admittedly. But I'm left with a little :squint: here.

I watch "violent movies" because I enjoy seeing justice done to evil people. That typically involves violence and that violence is typically a just response to put an end to greater violence. I don't purposefully pic flicks for gore content nor do most people. But your average drama includes some violent justice being done.

It isn't the glorification of pain or violence or sadism. It's appreciation for justice that's at the core of this. For me and the vast majority as well.

So how can this guy not know this, when he's supposed to be a wise person? That right there discredits him, in my opinion.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
She is as I said a pop psychologist/social worker/advertiser, just more of the therapeutic state. She attracts goony birds who have not a clue as to what it means to be an adult.

This is another side issue, she is part of that compliance with perpetual adolescence.

Status
Not open for further replies.