toldailytopic: Oprah Winfrey: trustworthy talk show host, or lunatic liberal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

elohiym

As compared to what? Let's try to keep things in perspective. You folks believe some pretty wacky stuff.

Oprah's religion is what Eckhart Tolle preaches.

Are familiar with Tolle's teachings enough to claim they are coherent?

MaryContrary

Hall of Fame
Let's try to keep things in perspective. You folks believe some pretty wacky stuff.

As an atheist I wouldn't have found Oprah's beliefs any weirder than your average Christian's. And had I been looking for a religion of some sort to adopt her's would have been far, far more appealing to me. So I guess I'm very thankful I never found religion to be of any use to me or I'd have been in really big trouble. I'd prolly be an Oprahite by now. :chuckle:

:think: Come to think of it, I did get into that stuff for a short while. Wicca and Buddhism, too. But don't ask why. If you can't guess then I'm not going to admit to anything. :plain:

allsmiles

Oprah Winfrey isn't a threat to anyone, there's nothing to be scared of. She's a vibrant, thriving success story. She's intelligent, driven and has the American dream by the short hairs. She also possesses influence on the global stage. She's worth listening to and emulating.

elohiym

Oprah Winfrey isn't a threat to anyone, there's nothing to be scared of. She's a vibrant, thriving success story. She's intelligent, driven and has the American dream by the short hairs. She also possesses influence on the global stage. She's worth listening to and emulating.

Are YOU familiar enough, or at all, with Eckhart Tolle's teachings to claim they are coherent?

allsmiles

Oprah's religion is what Eckhart Tolle preaches.

Are familiar with Tolle's teachings enough to claim they are coherent?

I dunno. Who's to say when I'm familiar enough? After only a cursory examination of his web site (http://www.eckharttolle.com/home/) I haven't found anything to suggest that his beliefs are more bizarre/complex/convoluted than yours. And there seems to be something to what he teaches. Like Oprah, he seems to have found great success for himself and that's not anything to be scared of. It's to be admired and perhaps even emulated. He and Oprah must be converting quite a few people for Open Eyes Ministries to be trying to demonize them. Oprah and Eckhart are stealing their business. Open Eyes is no joke, they've got their act together.

Sozo again

I dunno. Who's to say when I'm familiar enough? After only a cursory examination of his web site (http://www.eckharttolle.com/home/) I haven't found anything to suggest that his beliefs are more bizarre/complex/convoluted than yours. And there seems to be something to what he teaches. Like Oprah, he seems to have found great success for himself and that's not anything to be scared of. It's to be admired and perhaps even emulated. He and Oprah must be converting quite a few people for Open Eyes Ministries to be trying to demonize them. Oprah and Eckhart are stealing their business. Open Eyes is no joke, they've got their act together.
You sound like someone who would have followed Jim Jones.

allsmiles

As an atheist I wouldn't have found Oprah's beliefs any weirder than your average Christian's. And had I been looking for a religion of some sort to adopt her's would have been far, far more appealing to me. So I guess I'm very thankful I never found religion to be of any use to me or I'd have been in really big trouble. I'd prolly be an Oprahite by now. :chuckle:

:think: Come to think of it, I did get into that stuff for a short while. Wicca and Buddhism, too. But don't ask why. If you can't guess then I'm not going to admit to anything. :plain:

Why would you be in trouble? What's troubling about Oprah's beliefs?

I'll name you one thing about her beliefs that make them less bizarre and more attractive to me than Christian beliefs: her beliefs do not include the glorification of human sacrifice.

allsmiles

∅2L84U;2198792 said:
Guilty. I'm only clean on the inside, and just foolish enough to follow Jesus instead of Oprah.

She's accomplished more in her lifetime than Jesus allegedly did in his. She's standing as a model in the here and now and will be a model of excellence, real excellence, for generations to come. She's doing pretty much what Jesus is alleged to have done, minus the blood bath at the end. She's doing it better. It took how long for Christianity to do what it's done? She's only one woman who has achieved the status of living legend within her own lifetime. There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with following Oprah and Eckhart. What are you so scared of? Proof that people don't need Jesus except as a way of escaping punishment?

MaryContrary

Hall of Fame
Why would you be in trouble? What's troubling about Oprah's beliefs?

I'll name you one thing about her beliefs that make them less bizarre and more attractive to me than Christian beliefs: her beliefs do not include the glorification of human sacrifice.

Then I'll name one thing about her beliefs that make them dangerous. The glorification of self.

Dude, she's a moron. Anyone who follows her advice will end up destroying themselves. She's Freelight without the bong but no less foolish. She's poetry without substance.

Sozo again

She's accomplished more in her lifetime than Jesus allegedly did in his.
We're not discussing pie eating contests.

She's standing as a model in the here and now and will be a model of excellence, real excellence, for generations to come.
She's an ignorant pig.

She's doing pretty much what Jesus is alleged to have done, minus the blood bath at the end. She's doing it better.
She's certainly has seduced you. Maybe you should get a big silver O to wear around your neck.

elohiym

I dunno. Who's to say when I'm familiar enough?

Are you familiar with his specific teachings at all to claim that they are coherent? Yes or no.

After only a cursory examination of his web site (http://www.eckharttolle.com/home/) I haven't found anything to suggest that his beliefs are more bizarre/complex/convoluted than yours.

You obviously didn't even explore his website. If you had, you would know that there are none of his teachings on that website. It's purely a promotional website, not an educational website where one can learn about his specific teachings.

And there seems to be something to what he teaches.

What?

Share with us one of his teachings that you think is profound and coherent.

allsmiles

Then I'll name one thing about her beliefs that make them dangerous. The glorification of self.

Far more preferable to me than the glorification of a brutal act of barbarism. Having faith in oneself, being passionate about oneself and one's talent towards a worthy cause, is what drives people to succeed. That sounds like a fantastic foundation for a religion. There's nothing counter-intuitive about it, it doesn't insult my intellect with bizarre schemes (Jesus is his own father).

Like I said, there's something to it. It seems like a lot of people are getting turned on by what she and Tolle teach, why else would Open Eyes be going after them?

Dude, she's a moron. Anyone who follows her advice will end up destroying themselves. She's Freelight without the bong but no less foolish. She's poetry without substance.

She's a success story. I work with morons. Oprah Winfrey is no moron. I know that you feel threatened by her, and rightfully so. I understand that you're defensive and it's about something you feel rather than think and rationalize. That accounts for the out of touch insults, the dunning-kruger syndrome and the cognitive dissonance erupting violently from your posts. Oprah doesn't need Jesus but in your mind everyone needs Jesus. I'd be having a hard time coming to grips with reality too, if I were you.

elohiym

Allsmiles said:
She's doing pretty much what Jesus is alleged to have done, minus the blood bath at the end. She's doing it better.

∅2L84U;2198810 said:
She's certainly has seduced you. Maybe you should get a big silver O to wear around your neck.

Or he can just buy an O key chain for $10 plus shipping and handling.

Status
Not open for further replies.