toldailytopic: Memorial Day Weekend: What does it represent for you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

elohiym

The deaths of men who perished in unnecessary wars started by thugs.

I am a U.S. combat veteran, and I feel the same about it.

U.S. veterans: shafted since 1776.

But to all of you who pay your respects to the fallen and your relatives who served, I salute and thank you. This time of year has always been very depressing for me because I've always felt forgotten by my own friends and kin who have never called or remembered what I was stupid enough to do for a generally ungrateful nation duped to send its youth to fight wars for the profiting global plutocracy. It's nice to see that some of you remember us.

Now, if you could all kindly raise hell with the government until we get decent VA health care and our service connected disability claims processed quicker, perhaps fewer veterans would kill themselves in despair. Our war hasn't ended.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
It's the day that we honor all those in America who thought that the business of killing people would be a good career choice. :nono:

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
I recently went on a trip with my grandparents to Branson. In many of the shows there, they ask the veterans and those currently serving in the military to stand. My grandfather, being a veteran, does so. Afterwards, he says: "I don't feel right about standing. I never was in combat." To which I said: "You've never killed an innocent person. Congrats."

bybee

I recently went on a trip with my grandparents to Branson. In many of the shows there, they ask the veterans and those currently serving in the military to stand. My grandfather, being a veteran, does so. Afterwards, he says: "I don't feel right about standing. I never was in combat." To which I said: "You've never killed an innocent person. Congrats."

Oh Trad, honestly.... My response to your remarks? The moisture accumulated behind your ears is so very evident!

elohiym

The medic's job is to get the wounded soldiers back onto the front lines so that they can go kill more people. :plain:

No. That's the doctor's job, if the soldier is medically qualified to return to duty. Hard to do with missing limbs and plenty of other combat wounds.

Regardless, that doesn't go to your original point, as to the motivation of those who voluntarily join to serve. And your point missed entirely those who were drafted and had little choice.

bybee

It's the day that we honor all those in America who thought that the business of killing people would be a good career choice. :nono:

You had better pray that you are not faced with such a choice. Pray that brave men and women are standing in front of you when the moment to stand up and be counted arrives.
Your remarks are exceedingly insensitive.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
No. That's the doctor's job, if the soldier is medically qualified to return to duty. Hard to do with missing limbs and plenty of other combat wounds.

Regardless, that doesn't go to your original point, as to the motivation of those who voluntarily join to serve.

"Then Jesus saith to him: Put up again thy sword into its place: for all that take the sword shall perish with the sword" (Matthew 26:52).

And your point missed entirely those who were drafted and had little choice.

Why should we commemorate people who were forced to kill other people? We shouldn't celebrate that. We rightfully should condemn the government that "forced them." Not that the government could have forced them. They could have refused to fight and faced imprisonment. They could have fled the country.

bybee

Regardless, that doesn't go to your original point, as to the motivation of those who voluntarily join to serve. And your point missed entirely those who were drafted and had little choice.

I salute you for your service to your fellows. You did your best to help them. Blessings to you, pat

elohiym

"Then Jesus saith to him: Put up again thy sword into its place: for all that take the sword shall perish with the sword" (Matthew 26:52).

Why should we commemorate people who were forced to kill other people? We shouldn't celebrate that. We rightfully should condemn the government that "forced them." Not that the government could have forced them. They could have refused to fight and faced imprisonment. They could have fled the country.

Ps 82:3 Defend the poor and fatherless: do justice to the afflicted and needy.

That was my motivation for volunteering to go to the Gulf War. I was sitting at home watching footage of Iraq's invasion of Kuwait, where I was fed propaganda that Kuwaiti women were being raped and babies were being thrown out of hospital incubators. My motivation was to liberate Kuwait to save the innocent people of that nation from Iraqis.

There is a time for every purpose under heaven, Trad. And it's really about time you finished reading the Old Testament.

red cardinal

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for May 28th, 2011 09:53 AM

toldailytopic: Memorial Day Weekend: What does it represent for you?

Memorial Day, for me, was time for family - picnics or camping - at least when I was growing up. Sometimes we went to a parade. Life now is a bit different and I usually spend the weekend planting flowers and doing yard work. Up in the northest USA, Memorial Day is rendered "officially" clear to plant due to no more chance of frost, although farmers and brave souls try to beat it by planting weeks earlier. I guess I like to be on the safe side.

Anyway, Memorial Day to me means to recognize and remember our fallen warriors. I know that many people have a difference of opinion on war, political influences on wars, and the innate desire of many men to fight and being part of the military seems to feed that. Although, I realize that many women and men truly do believe they are serving and sacrificing for this country. Who are we to judge a decision based on wanting to give one's life for another?

My Dad served in WWII - my Grandfather, in WW1. I was raised in a family that supported, remembered, honored those who fought for our country. I believe that most of those who serve in our military do it for good reasons, not because they like to kill people, but because they are trained to defend our country .... regardless if that is not the political agenda or popular with those who view the military as "evil".

To the men and women who have lost their lives, body parts, been blinded or become deaf, suffer from PTSD, have suffered Viet Nam syndrome where Americans decided to take out their frustrations with the govt on the military, have been tortured, imprisoned, lost friends, and generated hatred by enemies, dislike of others who feel that being in the military is un-Christian ...... we still owe it to them, for their choice to serve our country with all their hearts, respect them and give them a standing ovation for their love and service and sacrifice.

Nothing makes my day more than to be at a public event when service men and women are asked to stand, and their families, for a standing ovation. We owe them this honor, they have a right to know that they have not served in vain.

elohiym

Did your grandfather smack you in the mouth for that? :plain:

red cardinal

What would be the point of imprisonment or fleeing the country? I think your view is over simplistic.

In the OT, when Israel killed her enemies [God's idea], they celebrated ..... The enemies of the Lord will be put to death in the Day of the Lord. Is God against killing? I don't think so ..........

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
Ps 82:3 Defend the poor and fatherless: do justice to the afflicted and needy.

That was my motivation for volunteering to go to the Gulf War. I was sitting at home watching footage of Iraq's invasion of Kuwait, where I was fed propaganda that Kuwaiti women were being raped and babies were being thrown out of hospital incubators. My motivation was to liberate Kuwait to save the innocent people of that nation from Iraqis.

There is a time for every purpose under heaven, Trad. And it's really about time you finished reading the Old Testament.

How many women and children do you think died in the subsequent invasion? Also, why is it so necessary for people to kill each other in order to resolve their differences? Why can't we all just get along? :nono:

lightbringer

TOL Subscriber
I worked out of Louisiana for the better part of 20 years and actually lived there for 8...during that time I never heard anyone say the things that you so foolishly utter out loud!

Trad, I would advise that if you have plans to go out this weekend, be very careful in voicing your opinion, there are those that will show little restraint in their rebuttal.

Status
Not open for further replies.