toldailytopic: Memorial Day Weekend: What does it represent for you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Granite

Hall of Fame
for having no concept of what Memorial Day represents, it does not promote war, or the military industrial complex...

I didn't say that it did. Did you actually read my post, or just skim it?

Those who die in unnecessary wars for the benefit of big business have been sacrificed to feed the war machine. When I see rows upon rows of white crosses I see the sacrifice those men paid, all right, but it's a sacrifice they often never needed to make in the first place.

For the record, my uncle and one of my brothers are both serving currently and I come from a very long line of military tradition in my family, but I think that the ultimate price paid by so many of the fallen is an absolute tragedy and a total waste. When war is crafted simply to line pockets and pad the bottom line, what else can I feel?

If people don't like the answers I have to questions, you don't need to read my posts. And if you do, read them more carefully.

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
I'd like him to explain the differences he sees between an armored unit's movement to contact against Rommel during WWII and say, the 3rd Armored Calvary Regiment's movement to contact against Russian T-72 tanks in the Iraq during Desert Storm.

THIS time we had the superior armor. :plain:

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
I didn't say that it did. Did you actually read my post, or just skim it?

Those who die in unnecessary wars for the benefit of big business have been sacrificed to feed the war machine. When I see rows upon rows of white crosses I see the sacrifice those men paid, all right, but it's a sacrifice they often never needed to make in the first place.

For the record, my uncle and one of my brothers are both serving currently and I come from a very long line of military tradition in my family, but I think that the ultimate price paid by so many of the fallen is an absolute tragedy and a total waste. When war is crafted simply to line pockets and pad the bottom line, what else can I feel?

If people don't like the answers I have to questions, you don't need to read my posts. And if you do, read them more carefully.

Touche', I feel you have not read my responses completely either...:sigh:... I'm sorry we could not make the connectin here Granite.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Touche', I feel you have not read my responses completely either...:sigh:... I'm sorry we could not make the connectin here Granite.

I did. And it seemed like you had no idea what I was talking about.

Criticism of war isn't beyond the pale.

elohiym

THIS time we had the superior armor. :plain:

True, tank vs. tank only, not tank vs. Bradley. We also had advanced optics and fire control systems, too. But what allowed our armored forces to defeat the opposing tanks was the element of surprise and the superior training of our soldiers (using Rommel's tactics). And the technology allowing the U.S. forces to surprise on the flank were the first GPS units (called LORAN-C) that allowed the U.S. to navigate in otherwise unnavigable terrain.

The last great tank battle of the 20th century.

john w

Hall of Fame
It's Memorial Day, not Mammorial Day. :plain:

It shows. :plain:

"It shows."-ELO

"Had any sinful thoughts today?"-John W

"No. I repented of sin, long ago."-ElO.

Contrasts between a saved man, who is honest re. this issue, myself, and a dishonest man, ELO.

I like the contrasts.

elohiym

Contrasts between a saved man, who is honest re. this issue, myself, and a dishonest man, ELO.

Luke 18:11 The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican.

So are you lying about being an "honest" man, JohnW? You never lie, right?

john w

Hall of Fame
Luke 18:11 The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican.

So are you lying about being an "honest" man, JohnW? You never lie, right?

"So are you lying about being an "honest" man, JohnW?"-ELO, the savior

Slower:

I like the contrasts.

Read it, chump. I said

"honest re. this issue, myself,..."

Again:

Granite

Hall of Fame
"So are you lying about being an "honest" man, JohnW?"-ELO, the savior

Slower:

I like the contrasts.

Read it, chump. I said

"honest re. this issue, myself,..."

Again:

You get used to elo or just ignore him. The functionality's there for a reason.:smokie:

Status
Not open for further replies.