toldailytopic: Is it a sin to drink alcoholic beverages?

Status
Not open for further replies.

csuguy

But what about
"Is it a sin to drink alcohol in the presence of those who think it is a sin."
OR
"Is it a sin to drink alcohol in the presence of one who struggles with alcoholism"

I think both are situational but the second question is a bit more obvious than the first.

It is best not to drink in the presence of either. For the first, if you are seen an authoritative figure spiritually (pastor for example) - you could become a stumbling block for them, even if only temporarily. For the second, you should not go around tempting people with their weaknesses - you should not lead people to sin.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for November 20th, 2009 11:09 AM

toldailytopic: Is it a sin to drink alcoholic beverages?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Heck no, drinking is not a Biblical issue, it is a Restoration issue and became popular in America and led to the revivalist movement which had the strongest presence in the mid-western states. The puritan influence, a typical Yankee idea, came about from the same that witch hunted in old Salem. In those times drinking excessively was far more common.

This whole temperance movement clouds the issue, as drinking was common in biblical times, but the act of drunkenness was seen, in a way as sloth.

The Biblical issue was grafted on ' my brother to stumble' as a condition of this; however, that issue never applied to drinking, as we know Jesus drank wine (not grape juice you dummies) and He was without sin.

Drinking alcohol is not sinful; however, excessive drunkenness, which leads to debauchery, is sinful, as it is a vice, sin of character and example contrary to good Christian life.

So drink your Jack and relax, just do not let your kids see you make a jackass out of yourself by falling over the furniture!
Be merry without getting :dead: drunk.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
That's pretty good when it's on tap.

I prefer Newcastle to be honest. Or, Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout but that's hard to find.

Newcastle yes and Bass Ale

Keep your eye on that number, ktoyou is about to turn 68!

csuguy

I don't often drink beer, but when I do... I prefer Dos XX.

I'm still acquiring the taste for beer... So far the only ones I've tried and like are Fat Tire and Grey White. I much more prefer Whiskey and Scotch to beer.

Status
Not open for further replies.