toldailytopic: If you were going to teach only one college class ever, what would it

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for January 31st, 2013 06:00 AM

toldailytopic: If you were going to teach only one college class ever, what would it be and why?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
it should be about something about which you know better than others
if
you are going to teach or write

for me that would be the Apocalypse
and
all the history that seems to fit with it

Buzzword

A two-semester class detailing the history, literary trademarks, and writing process for comic books.

Because even at this late date, after such masterpieces as Watchmen, The Dark Knight Returns, Maus, and Persepolis, waaaay too many "academics" still treat comic books as some nebulous un-literary medium.

Also, getting to read and analyze comic books, and then write your own, is AWESOME.

Selaphiel

That would probably be a course in process theology/philosophy. Reason is simply that it is the school of theology I have spent the most time on during my studies and I find it very interesting.

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

toldailytopic: If you were going to teach only one college class ever,
what would it be and why?

Knight I'm going to give two answers and then pick one.

1) Secular college...

The class: Library Science.

Why? To teach college students all benefits and resources of the library, and hope that maybe a student or two would also want to be come a library professor.​

2) Religious College...

The class: Old Testament poetic books of the Bible. Job, Psalms, Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, and Song of Solomon.

Why? To clearly understand the term "poetical" refers only to their form. To show and teach that these books portray real human experience, and grapple with profound problems, and express big realities. Especially to they concern themselves with the experiences of the godly, in the varying degrees of this changeful life which is ours. But it is also understood that the rest of Bible is the whole written counsel of God, that the poetic books are a part of the Divine Weaver's thread in the Scriptures.​

I choose number 2.

bybee

toldailytopic: If you were going to teach only one college class ever,
what would it be and why?

Knight I'm going to give two answers and then pick one.

1) Secular college...

The class: Library Science.

Why? To teach college students all benefits and resources of the library, and hope that maybe a student or two would also want to be come a library professor.​

2) Religious College...

The class: Old Testament poetic books of the Bible. Job, Psalms, Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, and Song of Solomon.

Why? To clearly understand the term "poetical" refers only to their form. To show and teach that these books portray real human experience, and grapple with profound problems, and express big realities. Especially to they concern themselves with the experiences of the godly, in the varying degrees of this changeful life which is ours. But it is also understood that the rest of Bible is the whole written counsel of God, that the poetic books are a part of the Divine Weaver's thread in the Scriptures.​

I choose number 2.

I love this post!
It took me years to begin to understand the depth and significance of the Psalms! :first:

Ps82

I love English - especially diagramming sentences... but I would have to refresh and expand my knowledge first.

But my passion would be a class called:
"The Evidence that God Manifested His Presence with a Created Physical Form"

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
I taught psychology a few years , but did not like it. Same, I taught theories criminology a few years, and did not like that. I later, taught police science and liked it, but the pay was lousy and I only taught a few nights a week.

I also taught research methods and liked it better, as all were older graduate students.

I might like teaching mathematics, but forgot most of what is interesting.

History and theology, had i prepared for it?

Maybe finance?

PureX

I would teach a fine art seminar, because that's what I know best. In fact, I'm hoping to get the opportunity to do exactly that in the near future.