toldailytopic: If you were going to teach only one college class ever, what would it

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
Well, we might as well throw in systems engineering, aerospace structures design, power systems, and RF Antenna Design as well. :D

Lets just go ahead and build a satellite and a new and improved rocket to launch it on., we'll call it a senior project..:D

The Berean

Lets just go ahead and build a satellite and a new and improved rocket to launch it on., we'll call it a senior project..:D

Actually, there is a push to build some kind of robotic space system that would track down retired satellites, strip off components, and build new working satellites. :noway:

http://rt.com/usa/news/darpa-space-retired-orbit-539/

http://gizmodo.com/5978347/this-is-how-darpa-will-strip-old-satellites-for-parts

But I think this approach is far too complex. You need a rather robust "smart systems" or AI software and complex mechanisms to do complex manual tasks. I was thinking why not build a one man capsule and have a person do this work instead? I think a human is far better equipped to do complex manual labor intensive tasks in space like cutting welding, using wrenches, drivers, and other tools. Granted designing a manned spacecraft to travel specifically to geosynchronous orbit has never been done before as far as I know.

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
Actually, there is a push to build some kind of robotic space system that would track down retired satellites, strip off components, and build new working satellites. :noway:

http://rt.com/usa/news/darpa-space-retired-orbit-539/

http://gizmodo.com/5978347/this-is-how-darpa-will-strip-old-satellites-for-parts

But I think this approach is far too complex. You need a rather robust "smart systems" or AI software and complex mechanisms to do complex manual tasks. I was thinking why not build a one man capsule and have a person do this work instead? I think a human is far better equipped to do complex manual labor intensive tasks in space like cutting welding, using wrenches, drivers, and other tools. Granted designing a manned spacecraft to travel specifically to geosynchronous orbit has never been done before as far as I know.

Like a big space trash truck to dispose of old space hardware...or maybe build a space tanker to ferry up hypergolic fuels to refuel satellites. We could charge a hefty price at the pump...we could be like the new opec of space. :think:

noguru

Philosophy of ethics/philosophy of science. I would like to have a class that compares and contrasts both of these. Though a class in either one would also be good.

The Berean

Like a big space trash truck to dispose of old space hardware...or maybe build a space tanker to ferry up hypergolic fuels to refuel satellites. We could charge a hefty price at the pump...we could be like the new opec of space. :think:

Look what I found rocketman. :readthis:

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/20120008940_2012008725.pdf
We can absolutely do better than NASA, rocketman! All NASA seems to do these days is to solicit for "trade studies" of missions they know they can't do! :chuckle:

Last edited:

Quincy

The only thing I could really teach are some vocational classes dealing with things I did while I was working as a general contractor. I could teach people to work tile, carpentry and do finishing work. So nothing really pertaining to the usual college material.

noguru

The only thing I could really teach are some vocational classes dealing with things I did while I was working as a general contractor. I could teach people to work tile, carpentry and do finishing work. So nothing really pertaining to the usual college material.

I could also teach sheet metal mechanics. I sold and installed sheet metal roofs. I have also done many tile roofs, but only repairs. I do prefer standing seem metal roofs (without exposed fasteners). And those always take a little more skill than other roofs. I have also built metal buildings, with perlins, metal girds, and sheet metal skins on the sides and roof. I was the leader of a crew that rebuilt/reinforced all the municipal (metal) buildings in Punta Gorda, FL after Hurricane Charlie.

Quincy

I for one would love to learn to weld or work sheet metal. You guys should look into teaching those skills in your areas. That's cool stuff.

noguru

I for one would love to learn to weld or work sheet metal. You guys should look into teaching those skills in your areas. That's cool stuff.

I have found sheet metal work to be easy. There is a little bit of welding and/or soldering for the flashing valleys sometimes. But it is not anywhere near the welding I have seen at welding shops or metal beam building infrastructures I have worked on. I don't lnow enough about welding. I would love to learn that.

noguru

I can attest to that--Meet my husband. :) He's very good at fixing things electrical.

I have taken subcontracts for low voltage electrical work like video surveillance systems. I got into that from the roofing fascia and soffit work, plus my past experience in computers. Because many of those newer surveillance systems are local area networks as well as having remote access.

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
I love working steel.

Wish I was good enough to teach machining. I can work a lathe and a mill, but I'm mostly self taught

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER

I do both, plus machining. Yes, it is cool. I love it.....for about 50 years, now.

noguru

They don't use external or internal conduit that much in the northeast for residential buildings. The extreme temperature changes as opposed to constant extreme moisture might be the issue with that. Plus standing seam sheet metal roofs and tile roofs are quite rare up here, because ultraviolet degradation is not an issue with shingles here either.

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Even though I had three semesters of Calculus and a semester of Differential Equations and did average. It would be interesting to teach all those crazy things I never understood.

noguru

Even though I had three semesters of Calculus and a semester of Differential Equations and did average. It would be interesting to teach all those crazy things I never understood.

I am pretty sure some of my teachers did not understand them either.