toldailytopic: How many good works does it takes to get into heaven?

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
Do you mean "Prophets"?
Yes. My bad.

ghost said:
The Gentiles were not under the Law given unto Moses, yet they had sin.
Did they have crime? Were sins and crimes the same thing?

ghost said:
You are making no sense.
Seems pretty straight forward. Try again.
Under the Law of the Prophets, Old testament law, there was no difference between a sin and a crime. The terms were synonymous. Is it a sin today for you to work on Saturday? Why or why not. Is it a crime today for you to work on Saturday? Why or why not.

ghost

Hall of Fame
Seems pretty straight forward. Try again.
Under the Law of the Prophets, Old testament law, there was no difference between a sin and a crime. The terms were synonymous. Is it a sin today for you to work on Saturday? Why or why not. Is it a crime today for you to work on Saturday? Why or why not.
I have no idea what your point is.

Sin is lawlessness. Jesus died for our sins. The sin issue between God and man is finished. God no longer takes sin into account.

Are you trying to say that since God no longer counts adultery against you, that your wife should allow you to commit adultery? Are you saying that the state should allow you to murder?

What is your point?

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
I have no idea what your point is.

Sin is lawlessness. Jesus died for our sins. The sin issue between God and man is finished. God no longer takes sin into account.

Are you trying to say that since God no longer counts adultery against you, that your wife should allow you to commit adultery? Are you saying that the state should allow you to murder?

What is your point?
We don't have sins to contend with anymore. But the government has to punish crimes. In Israel it was both a sin and a crime to work on Sabbath. Under the New Covenant, it is not a sin to work on Sabbath, but is it still a crime?

ghost

Hall of Fame
We don't have sins to contend with anymore. But the government has to punish crimes. In Israel it was both a sin and a crime to work on Sabbath.
How do you figure that?
Under the New Covenant, it is not a sin to work on Sabbath, but is it still a crime?
I have no idea what you are asking. What Sabbath?

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
How do you figure that? I have no idea what you are asking. What Sabbath?
And you call me a blithering idiot. You seem to be a smart man, quite being obtuse and deal with the question: what is a sin and what is a crime and how do we know.

naatmi

Support your position
It is obvious if you think about it. Selfish people ruin everything and need to be removed. We all have free will. So we should fear God.

we can't obey.
Then we couldn't justly be punished. And wouldn't need an atonement.

to will is present with me, but how to perform what is good I do not find.
The bible says to love God with all of your mind, not more than all of it. If someone can't figure out how to obey God then they are not transgressing His law. "with all of your strength" not more than all of it. If it is a matter of ability then only the ability we have is required (justice).

That passage is describing a self-inflicted inner conflict. Not a literal glitch in free will. It's describing a convicted legalist who is confessing to Ray Comfort. It's saying, "In my mind I naturally want to obey God's law but, since my bottom line is that I disobey the truth by being unnaturally selfish, I can't." It's a personification of sin as a separate agent intended to vindicate the law, not intended to vindicate the person who is being figuratively split in two. Original sin is you. Sad but true.

Then He wouldn't punish us for our inability. And He wouldn't require the suffering and death of Jesus in order to accept us. He would just care and admit we couldn't help it. If your child gets a math problem wrong you don't need to kill anyone. They couldn't help it.

So it is not that we are born into a state of unrighteousness but that we are not born righteous.
You said, "in a state of unrighteousness and all unrighteousness is sin". Is the state we are born in a sin? If so, then it is a "sin" we are not the cause of. Are we the cause of the state we are born in? No one can be morally guilty for something they are not the cause of.

Has it never occurred to you that this is why grace.
I used to think Jesus must have had to die because of human inability. Now I know Jesus died because of the misuse of human ability. For His enemies not invalids. Criminals not cripples. Rebels not victims.

God does not view sin the way liberals view crime.

naatmi

No, you just are too proud to admit that YOUR version of justice is contrary to God's. God is not interested in YOUR version, and neither am I.
I can say the same things, "you just are too proud to admit that your version of justice is contrary to God's"
Disagreeing with the Gospel is proof that you do not know Him.
I don't disagree with the Gospel. I disagree with your version of it.
"So then as through one transgression there resulted condemnation to all men, even so through one act of righteousness there resulted justification of life to all men."
I agree with that verse.
Then so is [it also unwise] justifying someone for what someone else did.
Huh? Why? It's not unconditional. Why would it be unwise?
You reject the cross, and Christ's shed blood. You are a blasphemer, and an enemy of the Gospel.
I used to reject Jesus and be a blasphemer. I don't now. But you think I still do. You don't think I could disagree with you in good conscience. Because you are convinced that you correctly understand the bible.

naatmi

If somebody believes the gospel, they are admitting they are a sinner and in need of a savior.
Of course. But why does that matter?

Is admitting the truth a condition of pardon? If so why?

They won't.
Free will is incompatible with a concrete "they won't".

The action of the flesh is not the judge of the heart. Confession of the mouth is.
The mouth and larynx are made out of flesh. What do you really mean?

Anyway, when I said wicked in the heart I meant selfish. Choosing your own pleasure as your primary goal. Valuing your own happiness above that of God and neighbor. Selfish people inevitably show it. They ruin everything. Selfish people are the only problem in the whole universe.

God thinks so. So much that he sent his son to die for those horrible sins in our place.
It would not be good to have selfish people in heaven. Selfish people ruin everything. Therefore God did not send His son to make it possible to have selfish (wicked) people in heaven.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Is admitting the truth a condition of pardon? If so why?

Yes, because Goe is not an unjust judge. Some people want to be judged on their own accord, and he is going to accomidate them at the second resurection.

The mouth and larynx are made out of flesh. What do you really mean?

What you confess shows what you believe. Your actions do not show what you believe.

Selfish people are the only problem in the whole universe.

This is correct. You put it in your own words, and the Bible agrees. Paul goes to great lengths about coveting. Some people go to far. Others covet, but are not willing to steal what isn't theres. Well, all people covet, not just some.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Only once. Provided, of course, that you can prove from scripture that there is a God commanded difference between crime and sin.
Not every sin was punishable by law, for one. And some of them were either rescinded or never intended for anyone other than Israel, which is shown by Scripture. But that's actually irrelevant as ghost has shown in his quote below.

Jesus died for sin, He didn't die for crime.

Man oh man, are YOU going to be in trouble with Ghost!!
You're a bigger idiot than I thought if you think he disagrees with me.

If there is not, then man is unjust to put anyone in jail, and you would be unjust if you ever punished your child for lying.

Why are you so stupid?
Exactly.

It is obvious if you think about it. Selfish people ruin everything and need to be removed. We all have free will. So we should fear God.
Was Christ's sacrifice enough to justify immunity?

Your response still didn't answer my question; you just sound like that hippie that wrote The Message.

Then we couldn't justly be punished. And wouldn't need an atonement.
The propitiation of Christ's sacrifice was necessary because we are incapable of being 100% obedient, or righteous. It is only through His righteousness that we can be clean. He obeyed for us.

The bible says to love God with all of your mind, not more than all of it. If someone can't figure out how to obey God then they are not transgressing His law. "with all of your strength" not more than all of it. If it is a matter of ability then only the ability we have is required (justice).

That passage is describing a self-inflicted inner conflict. Not a literal glitch in free will. It's describing a convicted legalist who is confessing to Ray Comfort. It's saying, "In my mind I naturally want to obey God's law but, since my bottom line is that I disobey the truth by being unnaturally selfish, I can't." It's a personification of sin as a separate agent intended to vindicate the law, not intended to vindicate the person who is being figuratively split in two. Original sin is you. Sad but true.
You're an idiot.

Then He wouldn't punish us for our inability. And He wouldn't require the suffering and death of Jesus in order to accept us. He would just care and admit we couldn't help it. If your child gets a math problem wrong you don't need to kill anyone. They couldn't help it.

You said, "in a state of unrighteousness and all unrighteousness is sin". Is the state we are born in a sin? If so, then it is a "sin" we are not the cause of. Are we the cause of the state we are born in? No one can be morally guilty for something they are not the cause of.

I used to think Jesus must have had to die because of human inability. Now I know Jesus died because of the misuse of human ability. For His enemies not invalids. Criminals not cripples. Rebels not victims.

God does not view sin the way liberals view crime.
This is not about morality you moron.

We are not born righteous, so God sent His Son so we could be made righteous, in Him. It's that simple.

You are the one applying victim mentality to what I've posted, not me.

I never said we were incapable of not committing sins. Learn to read.

naatmi

Was Christ's sacrifice enough to justify immunity?
Is God strong enough to force someone's free choice? There is no such thing as justifying immunity. Selfish people are an intrinsic disaster. They have to be burned.

Your response still didn't answer my question; you just sound like that hippie that wrote The Message.
What don't you understand?

The propitiation of Christ's sacrifice was necessary because we are incapable of being 100% obedient, or righteous.
If we can't justly be punished then we need no atonement. God would not need a sacrifice to accept us if it was just an inability issue. You don't need a sacrifice for people in wheelchairs. There is only a legal/sacrificial problem for the misuse of ability - not for a lack of ability.

We are not born righteous, so God sent His Son so we could be made righteous, in Him.
Of course we're not born righteous. We're born innocent. If we were born with a problem then Jesus would not have had to suffer and die for it.

I never said we were incapable of not committing sins.
If sin is inevitable then we deserve immunity. But if we have free will then immunity is unjustifiable. People with free will can choose to be evil. Evil people ruin everything. Granting them immunity would be immoral.

we are incapable of being 100% obedient
I never said we were incapable of not committing sins.
What? You think there is a difference between sinning and disobeying God?

naatmi

Yes, because God is not an unjust judge.
Why would failing to require honesty as a condition of pardon be unjust?

What you confess shows what you believe. Your actions do not show what you believe.
This made me think of lie detectors. But I think you basically agree that believers are capable of being selfish? Because you believe in free will?

all people covet, not just some.
There is a difference between selfish coveting and natural temptations or desires. Not everyone is selfish.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Is God strong enough to force someone's free choice? There is no such thing as justifying immunity. Selfish people are an intrinsic disaster. They have to be burned.
Idiot.

What don't you understand?
Did I say I didn't understand, ignoramus?

If we can't justly be punished then we need no atonement. God would not need a sacrifice to accept us if it was just an inability issue. You don't need a sacrifice for people in wheelchairs. There is only a legal/sacrificial problem for the misuse of ability - not for a lack of ability.
Who is punished? The propitiation is not in response to punishment.:nono:

Of course we're not born righteous. We're born innocent. If we were born with a problem then Jesus would not have had to suffer and die for it.
You have no idea what the truth is.

If sin is inevitable then we deserve immunity. But if we have free will then immunity is unjustifiable. People with free will can choose to be evil. Evil people ruin everything. Granting them immunity would be immoral.
Immunity is only applied to those who repent toward Christ. It is not for evil people.

What? You think there is a difference between sinning and disobeying God?
No, you moron.

naatmi

@Lighthouse

naatmi: No atonement could justify immunity.
Lighthouse: Support your position.
naatmi: Selfish people ruin everything and need to be removed. We all have free will.
Lighthouse: Was Christ's sacrifice enough to justify immunity?
naatmi: There is no such thing as justifying immunity.

Why do you disagree?

- Allowing unnecessary ruin and misery is inherently unjustifiable. Do you agree?
- Allowing selfishness can not be justified because selfish people cause - ruin and misery. Do you agree?
- Selfishness is possible wherever there is free will. Do you agree?
- Granting immunity would make universal selfishness possible. Do you agree?

Who is punished? The propitiation is not in response to punishment.
I meant if we did not actually deserve punishment, then we would not need any atonement. If we could not avoid punishment, because of an inability or because of a state we are born in, or anything that is not our choice, then our punishment would not be just. We would not deserve punishment. Then we would not need an atonement. We only need an atonement if we deserve punishment. Not if we were born that way. Not if we couldn't avoid the whole situation.

Lh: We are all, apart from Christ. in a state of unrighteousness and all unrighteousness is sin
Lh: there are two states of being and not being born into one we are automatically born into the other. So it is not that we are born into a state of unrighteousness but that we are not born righteous.

Why is the state we are born in a problem? What is wrong with me by birth? Maybe you did not know I was "Immaculately Conceived". I am even fearfully and wonderfully made. God was never far from me until I rebelled against Him.

Immunity is only applied to those who repent toward Christ. It is not for evil people.
Selfish people are the only people who are evil. (If you don't like this use of the word evil then I can just stick with the word selfish.) People who repent still have free will. They are capable of being selfish.

we are incapable of being 100% obedient
God's law requires 100% percent of our ability. So by definition we are able to be 100% obedient.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
@Lighthouse

naatmi: No atonement could justify immunity.
Lighthouse: Support your position.
naatmi: Selfish people ruin everything and need to be removed. We all have free will.
Lighthouse: Was Christ's sacrifice enough to justify immunity?
naatmi: There is no such thing as justifying immunity.

Why do you disagree?

- Allowing unnecessary ruin and misery is inherently unjustifiable. Do you agree?
- Allowing selfishness can not be justified because selfish people cause - ruin and misery. Do you agree?
- Selfishness is possible wherever there is free will. Do you agree?
- Granting immunity would make universal selfishness possible. Do you agree?

I meant if we did not actually deserve punishment, then we would not need any atonement. If we could not avoid punishment, because of an inability or because of a state we are born in, or anything that is not our choice, then our punishment would not be just. We would not deserve punishment. Then we would not need an atonement. We only need an atonement if we deserve punishment. Not if we were born that way. Not if we couldn't avoid the whole situation.

Lh: We are all, apart from Christ. in a state of unrighteousness and all unrighteousness is sin
Lh: there are two states of being and not being born into one we are automatically born into the other. So it is not that we are born into a state of unrighteousness but that we are not born righteous.

Why is the state we are born in a problem? What is wrong with me by birth? Maybe you did not know I was "Immaculately Conceived". I am even fearfully and wonderfully made. God was never far from me until I rebelled against Him.

Selfish people are the only people who are evil. (If you don't like this use of the word evil then I can just stick with the word selfish.) People who repent still have free will. They are capable of being selfish.

God's law requires 100% percent of our ability. So by definition we are able to be 100% obedient.
You don't know what immunity for the believer means. You falsely assume people will take advantage of it. It never occurred to you that those who would seek to do so are not the ones who have received immunity. Immunity goes to those who are a new creation in Christ, they are filled with His love, and 1 Corinthians explains perfectly what the result of that is.

God's law requires 100% and we are incapable of that, which is why Christ died, you fool.

And there is no punishment.

naatmi

You falsely assume people will take advantage of it.
No I didn't. I only said it is possible because we all have free will. I can't say it definitely would happen for the same reason you can't say it definitely wouldn't happen: free will.

It never occurred to you that those who would seek to do so are not the ones who have received immunity.
That's not the premise of my argument. The argument was that we all have free will. Not just unbelievers. Christians have free will therefore Christians are able to turn back to selfishness. You can only say a concrete "they would not / will not" if you deny their free will.

God's law requires 100% and we are incapable of that
God's law requires 100% percent of our ability. So by definition we are able to be 100% obedient. A law that required more than we are able to do would be a bad law. Pharaoh made a law for the Hebrew people that was too hard for them to keep. God didn't congratulate Pharaoh. He killed Pharaoh. Wicked rulers make impossible laws - not God. Impossible laws are unjust because threatening punishment for inability is unjust.

which is why Christ died
If we were incapable then we would not need an atonement. We would only need to appeal to our inability in order to be accepted. The devil wants you to think you were unable because he knows it erodes personal accountability.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
No I didn't. I only said it is possible because we all have free will. I can't say it definitely would happen for the same reason you can't say it definitely wouldn't happen: free will.

That's not the premise of my argument. The argument was that we all have free will. Not just unbelievers. Christians have free will therefore Christians are able to turn back to selfishness. You can only say a concrete "they would not / will not" if you deny their free will.

God's law requires 100% percent of our ability. So by definition we are able to be 100% obedient. A law that required more than we are able to do would be a bad law. Pharaoh made a law for the Hebrew people that was too hard for them to keep. God didn't congratulate Pharaoh. He killed Pharaoh. Wicked rulers make impossible laws - not God. Impossible laws are unjust because threatening punishment for inability is unjust.

If we were incapable then we would not need an atonement. We would only need to appeal to our inability in order to be accepted. The devil wants you to think you were unable because he knows it erodes personal accountability.
We are unable to be 100% obedient which is why Christ died.

But those indwelt with Christ are slaves to righteousness. You do understand that, right? Righteousness is our master. I can say, with 100% certainty, that no one who is in Christ would ever take advantage of His grace and mercy which gives us immunity to the wages of sin.

naatmi

We are unable to be 100% obedient which is why Christ died.

But those indwelt with Christ are slaves to righteousness. You do understand that, right? Righteousness is our master. I can say, with 100% certainty, that no one who is in Christ would ever take advantage of His grace and mercy which gives us immunity to the wages of sin.
God's law requires 100% of our ability not 101%. Only 101% or greater would be more than we are able to do. We are able to obey God's law by definition because it requires 100% of our ability. "All of your strength" not "more than all" like you are saying.

A concrete "no one ... would ever" is contrary to free will. If any man has free will then he has the power to do those things he "would never" do. There is no metaphysical "would not" without a metaphysical "could not". Knowledge can't turn out more than one way, but free choice can. It's mutually exclusive.