toldailytopic: How many good works does it takes to get into heaven?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for November 15th, 2011 09:24 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

chickenman

a-atheist
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for November 15th, 2011 09:24 AM

All of them.

And since none of us can live up to that, that only leaves one choice. Since we can't do what's required, why not give up and trust in the One Man who did what was required?

Believe that Jesus Christ died for your sins and rose again, and you will be placed into Christ where you will be forevermore made righteous, holy and blameless in the eyes of our heavenly Father.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Only one.

The good work of the Lord Jesus Christ giving his life for the world.

You stole my thunder.
:p

I was going to say only one on your part:
Accepting the Lord Jesus Christ as your Personal Savior.
Jesus does the rest in giving His life for you...

lucaspa

That's one of the better Strawman and Red Herring logical fallacies I have seen lately. Congratulations on combining them both within one short question.

The issue within Christianity is whether we are saved by works or saved by faith. Catholicism and Orthodox hold that we are mainly saved by works. Jesus described being saved by works in Matthew 25 and Revelations describes it in chapter 20. Neither tries to quantify the works.

So, make a strawman about the quantity as a red herring to distract from the basic disagreement. Not honest or ethical, but clever.

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
That's one of the better Strawman and Red Herring logical fallacies I have seen lately. Congratulations on combining them both within one short question.

The issue within Christianity is whether we are saved by works or saved by faith. Catholicism and Orthodox hold that we are mainly saved by works. Jesus described being saved by works in Matthew 25 and Revelations describes it in chapter 20. Neither tries to quantify the works.

So, make a strawman about the quantity as a red herring to distract from the basic disagreement. Not honest or ethical, but clever.

57893_ORIG-U_Mad2.jpg

lucaspa

:first:

[/threadender]
Not really. Christians are faced with the problem of the fate of people who died before Jesus was crucified. Obviously they could not get into Heaven based on his "good work." Did they get into Heaven based on their good works of obeying the Law? Did they get into Heaven based on their faith in Yahweh? That too would be very limiting since very few people ever heard of Yahweh? Or did they get into Heaven because God decided to let them in?

Knight based his question within Christianity and the "saved by works" vs the "saved by faith alone" division. However, for Christians to broadly consider the question, they can't stop with the facile answer of "Jesus' good work".

lucaspa

More "disgusted" than angry. It doesn't appear you are disagreeing with my analysis, but instead are employing the Fallacy of Ridicule. Let's see, 2 wrongs don't make a right, but do 3 fallacies make a valid argument? :)

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
More "disgusted" than angry. It doesn't appear you are disagreeing with my analysis, but instead are employing the Fallacy of Ridicule. Let's see, 2 wrongs don't make a right, but do 3 fallacies make a valid argument? :)

oh-i-know-u-mad-cuz-im-stylin-on-you-ec2124.jpg

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Funny, those of us who were actually given the law don't worry about this stuff.

Don't worry about heaven, or don't worry about keeping any of the law?

I am not setting you up, just proving a point to clowns that claim they are "Spiritual Israel".

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Not really. Christians are faced with the problem of the fate of people who died before Jesus was crucified. Obviously they could not get into Heaven based on his "good work." Did they get into Heaven based on their good works of obeying the Law? Did they get into Heaven based on their faith in Yahweh? That too would be very limiting since very few people ever heard of Yahweh? Or did they get into Heaven because God decided to let them in?

See chairs answer to my question, and remember the promises made to them. Hint: they had bone boxes.