toldailytopic: Christian Counceling: Good or Bad?

Thunder's Muse

For me, I wasn't so much concerned with the personal belief of my therapist but whether or not I could trust him and if he knew what he was talking about.

But I'm strange like that....

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for August 3rd, 2012 01:48 PM

toldailytopic: Christian Counceling: Good or Bad?

Depends. If the counseling is scripture based than it is good. If it is a bunch of liberal psychobabble then it is totally worthless.

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
"Good" is my answer, with a few caveats.[FONT=&quot] My view of Biblically-based counseling is defined by seven core elements (adapted from Counseling: How to Counsel Biblically, John MacArthur, et al.):[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]1. God is at the center of counseling.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]God is sovereign, active, speaking, merciful, commanding, and powerful. The Bible is authoritative, relevant, and comprehensively sufficient for counseling. God has spoken truly to every basic issue of human nature and to the problems in living.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]2. Commitment to God has epistemological consequences. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]First, other sources of knowledge must be submitted to the authority of Scripture. The sciences, personal experience, literature, and so forth may be useful, but may not play a constitutive role in counseling.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]3. Sin, in all its dimensions (motives, behaviors, acts done, acts received), are the consequences of the Fall and our own actions. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Sin includes wrong behavior, distorted thinking, an orientation to follow personal desires, and bad attitudes. Sin is habitual and deceptive, and much of the difficult in counseling consists in bringing specific sin to awareness and breaking its hold.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]4. The Gospel of Jesus Christ is the answer.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Forgiveness of sin and the power to change into His image.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]5. The biblical change process which counseling must aim at is progressive sanctification.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Change is metaphorically, not actually, healing. The metaphor captures ongoing repentance, renewal of the mind to Biblical truths, and obedience in the power of the Holy Spirit.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]6. The situational difficulties people face are not the random cause of problems in living. These difficulties operate within the sovereign design of God.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]They are contexts in which hearts are revealed and faith and obedience are purified through the battle of the Spirit and the flesh.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]7. Counseling is fundamentally a pastoral activity and must be church-based.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]It must be regulated under the authority of God's appointed church leaders.[/FONT]

AMR

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Is it possible to have better Counselling than the Counselling of the Gospel???

Paul -- 080412

If a brother is stuck in the mud without his Bible, is it OK if I help him out of the mud? Or should I just tell him to trust in what the Bible says?

MaryContrary

Hall of Fame
Depends. If the counseling is scripture based than it is good. If it is a bunch of liberal psychobabble then it is totally worthless.
I'd say I'm proof that it's not....
The counseling you received was a bunch of liberal psychobabble? :idunno:

I assume what you meant was that counseling that isn't scripture based could be therapeutic. I agree with you, and for the same reason any other thing could be therapeutic in that manner. But it is a little troubling that you jumped so quickly to defend the concept that you unwittingly conceded that the counseling you received was "a bunch of liberal psychobabble". I get the impression from this that it's important to you that counseling not be scripture based. Is it?

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I gave ((( the only ))) account of (( Counselors )) and (( Counselling )) ((( Described in all of the Scriptures ))).
I think not

Colossians 3:16
16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom, teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.
(((( NO ))))!!!! -- I just gave the (( Truth ))!! - Truth matters, and words matter. Words have meaning, and give "reason"...
Words do matter indeed!

admonish
tr.v. ad·mon·ished, ad·mon·ish·ing, ad·mon·ish·es
1. To reprove gently but earnestly.
2. To counsel (another) against something to be avoided; caution.
3. To remind of something forgotten or disregarded, as an obligation or a responsibility
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/admonish

ragTagblues

I don't understand why counselling has to be scripture based?

If it works, it works - End of story.

Would anyone honestly condemn someone for imparting great advice and wisdom that truly helped another, because of the core values that person held to?

Letsargue

I think not

Colossians 3:16
16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom, teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.
Words do matter indeed!

admonish
tr.v. ad·mon·ished, ad·mon·ish·ing, ad·mon·ish·es
1. To reprove gently but earnestly.
2. To counsel (another) against something to be avoided; caution.
3. To remind of something forgotten or disregarded, as an obligation or a responsibility
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/admonish

You just quoted from God's Counseling!! - Counseling is the giving of instructions for living well; not in accordance to man!! -- Proverbs 24:6-7 KJV - “For by (wise counsel ) thou shalt make thy war: and ( in multitude of counselors ) there is safety. 7- (( Wisdom is too high for a fool )): he openeth not his mouth in the gate”.

Yes, - you found the Word “Counselor”, and ( Its ) many uses in the Word of God, but they all are referring to the same (( Counsel )), or the counsel of man, and his phony doctrine, trying to fill some troubled person’s head with nonsense. – I know the word is in the Scriptures many times, but that doesn’t mean that it stands for good every time. -- Just who do you think ( All the Counselors of God are )?? – They are ( All ) the Prophets of God, starting with Righteous Abel, to John in the Revelations. – They all are the counselors of God that we are Counseled by. – Proverbs 11:14 KJV ----//-- ( Any other Counselors are from the other false god )!! - To God, Counseling is done by the Gospel / the Word of God (( Period ))
How do you guys do, and say the things you do, and say???

Paul – 080512

Letsargue

"Good" is my answer, with a few caveats.[FONT=&quot] My view of Biblically-based counseling is defined by seven core elements (adapted from Counseling: How to Counsel Biblically, John MacArthur, et al.):[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]1. God is at the center of counseling.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]God is sovereign, active, speaking, merciful, commanding, and powerful. The Bible is authoritative, relevant, and comprehensively sufficient for counseling. God has spoken truly to every basic issue of human nature and to the problems in living.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]2. Commitment to God has epistemological consequences. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]First, other sources of knowledge must be submitted to the authority of Scripture. The sciences, personal experience, literature, and so forth may be useful, but may not play a constitutive role in counseling.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]3. Sin, in all its dimensions (motives, behaviors, acts done, acts received), are the consequences of the Fall and our own actions. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Sin includes wrong behavior, distorted thinking, an orientation to follow personal desires, and bad attitudes. Sin is habitual and deceptive, and much of the difficult in counseling consists in bringing specific sin to awareness and breaking its hold.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]4. The Gospel of Jesus Christ is the answer.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Forgiveness of sin and the power to change into His image.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]5. The biblical change process which counseling must aim at is progressive sanctification.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Change is metaphorically, not actually, healing. The metaphor captures ongoing repentance, renewal of the mind to Biblical truths, and obedience in the power of the Holy Spirit.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]6. The situational difficulties people face are not the random cause of problems in living. These difficulties operate within the sovereign design of God.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]They are contexts in which hearts are revealed and faith and obedience are purified through the battle of the Spirit and the flesh.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]7. Counseling is fundamentally a pastoral activity and must be church-based.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]It must be regulated under the authority of God's appointed church leaders.[/FONT]

AMR

How simple does it have to be to be ( Simple)??

2 Timothy 3:16-17 KJV - All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, (((( For “Instruction” )))) in righteousness: 17- That the man of God may be ( perfect, throughly furnished ) unto all good works". ---

Let’s make it impossible for others to understand with your (( Counseling ))!!

Paul – 080512

oatmeal

Of course Christian counseling is wonderful!

What are the alternatives?

a. Buddhist counseling?

b. Communist/liberal counseling?

c. Muslim counseling?

d. atheist counseling?

e. other?

Sound doctrine is scripture.

oatmeal

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
You just quoted from God's Counseling!! - Counseling is the giving of instructions for living well; not in accordance to man!! -- Proverbs 24:6-7 KJV - “For by (wise counsel ) thou shalt make thy war: and ( in multitude of counselors ) there is safety. 7- (( Wisdom is too high for a fool )): he openeth not his mouth in the gate”.

Yes, - you found the Word “Counselor”, and ( Its ) many uses in the Word of God, but they all are referring to the same (( Counsel )), or the counsel of man, and his phony doctrine, trying to fill some troubled person’s head with nonsense. – I know the word is in the Scriptures many times, but that doesn’t mean that it stands for good every time. -- Just who do you think ( All the Counselors of God are )?? – They are ( All ) the Prophets of God, starting with Righteous Abel, to John in the Revelations. – They all are the counselors of God that we are Counseled by. – Proverbs 11:14 KJV ----//-- ( Any other Counselors are from the other false god )!! - To God, Counseling is done by the Gospel / the Word of God (( Period ))
How do you guys do, and say the things you do, and say???

Paul – 080512
According to Colossians 3:16 a good Christian counselor is a person in whom "word of Christ dwells richly". A bad Christian counselor or an UnChristian counselor is a person who lives his life and gives advice "in accordance to man". I am finished with you on the subject. Play all the word games you wish.

Thunder's Muse

The counseling you received was a bunch of liberal psychobabble? :idunno:

I assume what you meant was that counseling that isn't scripture based could be therapeutic. I agree with you, and for the same reason any other thing could be therapeutic in that manner. But it is a little troubling that you jumped so quickly to defend the concept that you unwittingly conceded that the counseling you received was "a bunch of liberal psychobabble". I get the impression from this that it's important to you that counseling not be scripture based. Is it?

Not at all.

It was actually meant as a dig at all those saying that only Christian based counselling is any good. Clearly, that is the stupid statement based on nothing more than religious brainwashing.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Not at all.

It was actually meant as a dig at all those saying that only Christian based counselling is any good. Clearly, that is the stupid statement based on nothing more than religious brainwashing.
Did anyone say that? I saw people say that Christian counseling needs to be Biblical in it's basis but I am not sure anyone stated that secular counseling was of no value to anyone. That, I think would be a different thread entirely.

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Let’s make it impossible for others to understand with your (( Counseling ))!!
I genuinely hesitated posting anything in this thread seeing you here and about, LA. Somehow I knew you would turn your attention in my direction. Sigh.

Letsargue....no, let's not.

AMR