Tides Caused by the Moon?

This Charming Manc

Daniel if the tidal movement in the Atlantic ocean is a couple of meters in depth when its 310,410,900,000,000,000 cubic meters, what level of shift would you expect of see in a pond which is about 1 cubic meter of water?

And do you think that level of tidal shift would be observable?

Tides exist, sure. I've seen the ocean. But I've never seen tides in a pond. You say we can't see it measure them, but they're there. You have faith that they're there. I'm saying they aren't there. I'm basing my opinion on what I observe. You're basing your opinion on what you believe in.

Daniel1611

Daniel if the tidal movement in the Atlantic ocean is a couple of meters in depth when its 310,410,900,000,000,000 cubic meters, what level of shift would you expect of see in a pond which is about 1 cubic meter of water?

And do you think that level of tidal shift would be observable?

So, you believe their is a tidal effect on ponds even though you can't measure it. You believe in it. You attribute it to the moon's gravity based on the ocean tides. Rather than considering an explanation that may explain why there is a tide in the ocean and not ponds, you just assume that it is the moon because you believe in something you can't test. That was my point. People keep saying that we can't measure it because it is just that small...so they're basically saying believe in it with no evidence.

noguru

So, you believe their is a tidal effect on ponds even though you can't measure it. You believe in it. You attribute it to the moon's gravity based on the ocean tides. Rather than considering an explanation that may explain why there is a tide in the ocean and not ponds, you just assume that it is the moon because you believe in something you can't test. That was my point. People keep saying that we can't measure it because it is just that small...so they're basically saying believe in it with no evidence.

What is the explanation you think is superior for why there are tides in the ocean?

Daniel1611

What is the explanation you think is superior for why there are tides in the ocean?

Pretty much any natural explanation is better than the mystical magical gravity. The land and whatever is below it probably sits on top of the oceans, and gently rocks on it. Could be that. Could be some kind of pressure under the ocean floor. I'm not positive but it isn't magic, or "gravity" as it's know.

noguru

Pretty much any natural explanation is better than the mystical magical gravity. The land and whatever is below it probably sits on top of the oceans, and gently rocks on it. Could be that. Could be some kind of pressure under the ocean floor. I'm not positive but it isn't magic, or "gravity" as it's know.

What is the natural explanation you think is superior that the one we have?

You think that solid ground floats on water and "gently rocks on the water", that is what you claim causes tides?

The theory of gravity does not use "magic" as the explanation or even part of the explanation. You are lying about that, again. And then you wonder why you have no credibility.

Daniel1611

What is the natural explanation you think is superior that the one we have? The theory of gravity does not use "magic" as the explanation or even part of the explanation. You are lying about that, again. And then you wonder why you have no credibility.

Gravity is the cure all for heliocentrism. Sometimes it pulls everything to the earth, except when it makes things orbit the earth. It is strong enough to hold the oceans on the globe but weak enough to be easily escaped or over powered by the weaker gravity of the moon. You name it, gravity does it.

Why don't we feel the spin? Gravity.
Why do we fall back to earth? Gravity.
Why does the moon orbit us? Gravity
The tides? Gravity.

It's magic. It can make things stick to the earth or orbit it depending on what heliocentrists need it to do. If they don't have an answer for it, it's gravity.

noguru

Gravity is the cure all for heliocentrism. Sometimes it pulls everything to the earth, except when it makes things orbit the earth. It is strong enough to hold the oceans on the globe but weak enough to be easily escaped or over powered by the weaker gravity of the moon. You name it, gravity does it.

The tides? Gravity.

It's magic. It can make things stick to the earth or orbit it depending on what heliocentrists need it to do. If they don't have an answer for it, it's gravity.

All of this has been explained to you and is explained by the current naturalistic theoretical model. That is exactly why the current model of gravity is a robust theoretical model. It has been supported through a vast amount of empirical verification.

If you think your model is superior then by all means let's here the details of your model so we can compare your model to the evidence and verify the veracity of your claim. If you have no explanation from which you can format a formalized hypothesis, then you are just reciting empty rhetoric.

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned

There ARE tidal effects on ponds and puddles, and we CAN measure it. With GPS. Tide goes up, land goes up. Tide goes down, land goes down. GPS measures it.

Mocking You

The tides? Gravity.

Daniel1611 Did you know that friction is caused by miniature demons?

Skeptic I don't believe in demons.

Daniel1611 I do.

Skeptic Anyway, I don't see how demons can make friction.

Daniel1611 They just stand in front of things and push to stop them from moving.

Skeptic I can't see any demons even on the roughest table.

Daniel1611 They are too small, also transparent.

Skeptic But there is more friction on rough surfaces.

Daniel1611 More demons.

Skeptic Oil helps.

Daniel1611 Oil drowns demons.

Skeptic If I polish the table, there is less friction and the ball rolls further.

Daniel1611 You are wiping the demons off; there are fewer to push.

Skeptic A heavier ball experiences more friction.

Daniel1611 More demons push it; and it crushes their bones more.

Skeptic If I put a rough brick on the table I can push against friction with more and more force, up to a limit, and the block stays still, with friction just balancing my push.

Daniel1611 Of course, the demons push just hard enough to stop You're moving the brick; but there is a limit to their strength beyond which they collapse.

Skeptic But when I push hard enough and get the brick moving there is friction that drags the brick as it moves along.

Daniel1611 Yes, once they have collapsed the demons are crushed by the brick. It is their crackling bones that oppose the sliding.

Skeptic I can not feel them.

Daniel1611 Rub your finger along the table.

Skeptic Friction follows definite laws. For example, experiment shows that a brick sliding along a table is dragged by friction with a force independent of velocity.

Daniel1611 Of course, the same number of demons to crush however fast you run over them.

Skeptic If I slide a brick along a table again and again, the friction is the same each time. Demons would be crushed on the first trip.

Daniel1611 Yes, but they multiply incredibly fast.

Skeptic There are other laws of friction: for example, the drag is proportional to the pressure holding the surfaces together.

Daniel1611 The demons live in the pores of the surface: more pressure makes more of them rush out and be crushed. Demons act in just the right way to push and drag with the forces you find in your experiments.

(adapted from Eric Rogers "A demon theory of friction" .)

Last edited:

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame

In your world, what keeps the water on the land? Since land is composed largely of rocks and rocks are denser than water, what keeps your flat disk floating on the ocean?

Sitamun

Just because you still can't understand the concept doesn't make it magic.

Daniel1611

In your world, what keeps the water on the land? Since land is composed largely of rocks and rocks are denser than water, what keeps your flat disk floating on the ocean?

Just buoyancy itself. I'm denser than water but I can lay in my back and float. It's just buoyancy. The land probably sits on top of the oceans and rocks gently causing tides.

Here's where I might blow your mind. I don't know what is under the earth more than 8 miles down because that is as far as anyone has dug. When the text book shows you the gobstopper earth with the layers and the spinning candy center, it is all speculation. No one knows what is way down there so water is just as plausible as the crunchy candy center you see in textbooks. If everyone were honest and only made statements based on what we know, no one would claim to know what us under the earth more than 8 miles down. Because no one knows.

Jonahdog

BANNED
Banned
Just buoyancy itself. I'm denser than water but I can lay in my back and float. It's just buoyancy. The land probably sits on top of the oceans and rocks gently causing tides.

Here's where I might blow your mind. I don't know what is under the earth more than 8 miles down because that is as far as anyone has dug. When the text book shows you the gobstopper earth with the layers and the spinning candy center, it is all speculation. No one knows what is way down there so water is just as plausible as the crunchy candy center you see in textbooks. If everyone were honest and only made statements based on what we know, no one would claim to know what us under the earth more than 8 miles down. Because no one knows.

One can only hope that you are ineligible to vote.

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
The human body is actually slightly less dense than water which is why you float. Rocks are far more dense than you are so why would they float?

There is a huge difference between not having seen and not knowing. While we don't know with 100% certainty, we have very good ideas because we have done the science. We have observed and studied and found that the layer model most accurately matches what we observe.