Tides Caused by the Moon?

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
Daniel,
Let's compare your pond to an ocean. Compared to the surface of the earth, how much area does your pond cover? Does your pond have currents that constantly flow from warmer water to cold water? Does your pond have cold areas and warm areas or is it actually a uniform temperature?

The only thing that your pond has in common with the ocean is that it is water, it is not an ocean. Is it reasonable for you to expect something that is not an ocean to behave like an ocean?

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
That answer is absurd. A human allowing a poodle to lead them is not the same as the human being dragged by one. But I'm not surprised by the answer. Heliocentrism uses magic to fix holes in the theory

What holes would those be?

Daniel1611

Daniel,
Let's compare your pond to an ocean. Compared to the surface of the earth, how much area does your pond cover? Does your pond have currents that constantly flow from warmer water to cold water? Does your pond have cold areas and warm areas or is it actually a uniform temperature?

The only thing that your pond has in common with the ocean is that it is water, it is not an ocean. Is it reasonable for you to expect something that is not an ocean to behave like an ocean?

If the gravity of the moon is moving the water, it should affect all bodies of water. It does not. The moon doesn't know what temperature it us. Under the accepted theory, gravity is moving the water. If it is strong enough to move the entire ocean, it should be strong enough to move lakes and ponds. It doesn't. Gravity magically affects only oceans and some lakes. It just doesn't make sense. One minute the tides are there but we can't measure them. Now nonuniform temperature has something to do with how gravity affects it? It just doesn't make objective sense. It has to have magic involved for it to work out.

gcthomas

If it is strong enough to move the entire ocean, it should be strong enough to move lakes and ponds.

Gravity pulls on larger masses with more force than smaller masses. It really is as simple as F = GMm/r² in the case of tides. The mechanism has been known about and tested for three centuries, and apart from Einstein's small corrections it has survived unscathed by all experimental challenges.

Do you have a quantitative challenge with the theory, or do you just not like it?

gcthomas

Why are there waves in the ocean but not in my puddle?

Surely, because the universe revolves around the Earth! Geocentrism provides special (read 'magical') protection for small bodies of water. It would be a weird universe if puddles were affected by the wind and gravity.

;)

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Why are there waves in the ocean but not in my puddle?

In fluid dynamics, wind waves, or wind-generated waves, are surface waves that occur on the free surface of oceans, seas, lakes, rivers, and canals or even on small puddles and ponds. They result from the wind blowing over an area of fluid surface. Waves in the oceans can travel thousands of miles before reaching land. Wind waves range in size from small ripples, to waves over 100 ft (30 m) high.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wind_wave

Daniel1611

Gravity pulls on larger masses with more force than smaller masses. It really is as simple as F = GMm/r² in the case of tides. The mechanism has been known about and tested for three centuries, and apart from Einstein's small corrections it has survived unscathed by all experimental challenges.

Do you have a quantitative challenge with the theory, or do you just not like it?

So gravity knows how massive something is then determines how much force it will exert? Gravity should act on everything indiscriminately, not pick what it will act on and how much it will affect it. It's like magic.

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
In fluid dynamics, wind waves, or wind-generated waves, are surface waves that occur on the free surface of oceans, seas, lakes, rivers, and canals or even on small puddles and ponds. They result from the wind blowing over an area of fluid surface. Waves in the oceans can travel thousands of miles before reaching land. Wind waves range in size from small ripples, to waves over 100 ft (30 m) high.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wind_wave

Well...I was thinking more along the line of waves with whitecaps. Why are there whitecaps in the ocean but not in my puddle?

gcthomas

So gravity knows how massive something is then determines how much force it will exert? Gravity should act on everything indiscriminately, not pick what it will act on and how much it will affect it. It's like magic.

No. Gravity pulls on each kilogram the same. More kilograms, more pull. Completely indiscriminate.

Daniel1611

Why measurable?

Because if it cannot be measured, you don't know that it happens. This is stepping from science to belief without evidence. If you believe in it, fine. I can't prove via the scientific method all of my theological beliefs, but I don't call them science. Science is about what we can observe and test. If the tide of a pond is not observable or measurable, you don't know that it exists. You believe in it.

gcthomas

Because if it cannot be measured, you don't know that it happens. This is stepping from science to belief without evidence. If you believe in it, fine. I can't prove via the scientific method all of my theological beliefs, but I don't call them science. Science is about what we can observe and test. If the tide of a pond is not observable or measurable, you don't know that it exists. You believe in it.

Gravitational theory had been tested to a degree of exquisite precision that to not believe it would be perverse. That it predicts that some effects are to small to measure with common equipment is not evidence against it.

Do you have a single observation that does not match the detailed predictions from the theory?

Just one verifiable observation?

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
If the gravity of the moon is moving the water, it should affect all bodies of water. It does not. The moon doesn't know what temperature it us. Under the accepted theory, gravity is moving the water. If it is strong enough to move the entire ocean, it should be strong enough to move lakes and ponds. It doesn't. Gravity magically affects only oceans and some lakes. It just doesn't make sense. One minute the tides are there but we can't measure them. Now nonuniform temperature has something to do with how gravity affects it? It just doesn't make objective sense. It has to have magic involved for it to work out.

Do you even read what people post? I'm serous. I have posted the reasons why at least the times. Others have posted as well. You seem to be ignoring things and I would like to know why.

Daniel1611

Gravitational theory had been tested to a degree of exquisite precision that to not believe it would be perverse. That it predicts that some effects are to small to measure with common equipment is not evidence against it.

Do you have a single observation that does not match the detailed predictions from the theory?

Just one verifiable observation?

Just because everything can be attributed to a magical force doesn't mean it is real. Gravity is only needed in a heliocentric globe model.

This Charming Manc

Daniel,

You've got us bang to rights, evil Liberal NIV readers have invented gravity and newton and all science is a satanic attempt to disprove the KJV.

We send evil satanic pixies out at night to swish the oceans round so that we can claim weird effects such as gravity, to undermine the KJV by introducing doubt into the mind of the believer

In fact all science since 1611 is a satanic liberal conspiracy designed to undermine the KJV because it defines things not talked about in the good book.

Im gutted you worked this out.