The Imaginary Covenant of Grace

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
There is a misguided idea out there that God has two Covenants, one being the Law and the other being the imaginary Covenant of Grace found nowhere in scripture. Lol

I have a problem with this. Because this 2 covenant theory implies that God saved people by works in one part of the history of mankind and now God saves people by grace.

God has only saved anyone who has ever been saved by grace alone.

If this is not how the 2 covenant theory is supposed to be soteriologically understood then tell me what is meant by a covenant of law and a covenant of grace (that is found nowhere in scripture).

The bible doesn't need to spell out a covenant of grace because grace has always been the method of salvation.

See Avatar

@brian j

way 2 go

David was saved by grace. He was not executed as he should have been according to the law.

David was given grace in that instance of adultery and murder

you can add grace to a covenant of law

but you can't add law to a covenant of grace

Wick Stick

There are 8 Covenants in the Bible
Ok, I'll buy that. But they aren't all for "salvation," even as nebulous as that word is.

For instance, the promise of Abram's covenant was for an heir, descendants, and posterity.

The promise of the Mosaic covenant was a tract of land in the Middle East, prosperous farming, and military assistance against the neighboring countries.

Now, I'd love to own a hectare or so of real estate in the Mediterranean, but that isn't exactly my eternal soul, is it?

Jarrod

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
Ok, I'll buy that. But they aren't all for "salvation," even as nebulous as that word is.

For instance, the promise of Abram's covenant was for an heir, descendants, and posterity.

The promise of the Mosaic covenant was a tract of land in the Middle East, prosperous farming, and military assistance against the neighboring countries.

Now, I'd love to own a hectare or so of real estate in the Mediterranean, but that isn't exactly my eternal soul, is it?

Jarrod

The content of faith changed. But salvation was thru faith by grace in that which was revealed up to that time. Abe = a son
Moses = blood sacrifice covered sins etc

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
The idea of the law was to so magnify sin that the people in being unable to perform the requirements of it would be thrown on to God's mercy [Grace]

Wick Stick

No. You have the terms of the covenant confused with the role of the priesthood who mediates it.

The covenant demands obedience to the 600 or so commandments, and contains terms of blessing and cursing, as articulated from Mount Ebal and Mount Gerizim, respectively. See Deuteronomy 11:29. The blessings primarily deal with the granting of the land, continued rainfall, and prosperity in general. The cursings are roughly the opposite - invasion, famine, diaspora, and death.

The Levitical priesthood was installed as a mediator of that covenant. Without a mediator, every individual who violated the terms (aka everyone) would have to be stoned to death, or expelled from the nation (depending on the violation).

The mediation of the priest allowed for the possibility of a substitution on the penalties. The sin/transgression was laid on animals, who then were killed or expelled into the wilderness.

Hence, the book of Hebrews has it as "better covenant," "better mediator," and "better High Priest."

Jarrod

Ben Masada

The idea of the law was to so magnify sin that the people in being unable to perform the requirements of it would be thrown on to God's mercy [Grace]

The only things that magnify sins are crimes; and the reason is for sinners to find out that they have broken the Law.

way 2 go

Jarrod

The content of faith changed. But salvation was thru faith by grace in that which was revealed up to that time. Abe = a son

covenant with works

Gen 17:5 No longer shall your name be called Abram, but your name shall be Abraham, for I have made you the father of a multitude of nations.
Gen 17:6 I will make you exceedingly fruitful, and I will make you into nations, and kings shall come from you.
Gen 17:7 And I will establish my covenant between me and you and your offspring after you throughout their generations for an everlasting covenant, to be God to you and to your offspring after you.

bloodshed and covenant confirmed each time the
work of circumcision is done.

Gen 17:10 This is my covenant, which you shall keep, between me and you and your offspring after you: Every male among you shall be circumcised.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Hebrews 8:13 In speaking of a new covenant, He makes the first one obsolete. And what is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready to vanish away.

Hebrews 10:16 "This is the covenant I will make with them after that time, says the Lord. I will put my laws in their hearts, and I will write them on their minds."
17 Then He adds: "Their sins and lawless acts I will remember no more."
18 Now where there is forgiveness of these things, there is no longer any offering for sin.

Luke 22:20 And likewise the cup after they had eaten, saying, “This cup that is poured out for you is the new covenant in my blood.

2 Corinthians 3:6 Who has made us competent to be ministers of a new covenant, not of the letter but of the Spirit. For the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life.

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
Hebrews 8:13 In speaking of a new covenant, He makes the first one obsolete. And what is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready to vanish away.

Hebrews 10:16 "This is the covenant I will make with them after that time, says the Lord. I will put my laws in their hearts, and I will write them on their minds."
17 Then He adds: "Their sins and lawless acts I will remember no more."
18 Now where there is forgiveness of these things, there is no longer any offering for sin.

Luke 22:20 And likewise the cup after they had eaten, saying, “This cup that is poured out for you is the new covenant in my blood.

2 Corinthians 3:6 Who has made us competent to be ministers of a new covenant, not of the letter but of the Spirit. For the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life.

Sure. That's the Mosaic C

But Hebrews says that that C was added to the A C and did not change nor do away with the Abrahamic C, it was added and it was temporal.

The other conditional C was the Edenic C.

The New C is made with Israel for Israel and we have been made partakers.

Surely the Mosaic C was not a way of salvation. Not a way to work for salvation.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned

But Hebrews says that that C was added to the A C and did not change nor do away with the Abrahamic C, it was added and it was temporal.

Surely the Mosaic C was not a way of salvation. Not a way to work for salvation.

ur imaginary

way 2 go

I have a problem with this. Because this 2 covenant theory implies that God saved people by works in one part of the history of mankind and now God saves people by grace.

God has only saved anyone who has ever been saved by grace alone.
King Saul saved not saved ?

1Sa 16:14 Now the Spirit of the LORD departed from Saul, and a harmful spirit from the LORD tormented him.

1Sa 28:16 And Samuel said, "Why then do you ask me, since the LORD has turned from you and become your enemy?

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame

2 Corinthians was written to the church.

Danoh

Nothing a shot of Vitamin B "12 Out" can't cure, lol