The Imaginary Covenant of Grace

fishrovmen

Thanks.

I don't see the covenants as "many covenants" just 8.

Edenic Adamic Noahic Abrahamic Land Mosaic Davidic and New.

But I like the passages you shared.

Salvation was by grace with Adam. Adam hid himself and was sought after by God. Was there a Covenant of Grace made with Adam? If there was it wasn't spelled out. The blood of the animals became a covering for Adam. At least their skins covered him. The proto-evangelion was given in Gen 3. Did I spell that right?

I believe one valid option of rightly dividing the word is thru the 8 covenants. So of course having "many covenants" or a covenant of grace that is never made throws a wrench in that machine.

What I mean by not being spelled out is I don't find in the bible a place where God tells man he is saved by grace via a covenant or contract. The truth of this grace salvation is taught throughout the bible beginning with Adam and emphasized by the writers of scripture but no God - Man covenant is recorded. I agree that the New Covenant was made with Yeshua's blood but it says that the New Covenant would be different from the old one that was added to the other covenant, the Mosaic Covenant added to the Abrahamic Covenant.

The confusing thing about the two covenant theory is in the soteriology. Tell me, please where I am misguided in my observation concerning this. Perhaps only some extremes of 2 Cov theology are guilty of my perception of their belief?

Where were the Edenic and Adamic covenants given in Scripture? or are they assumed?

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
COVENANTS TWO COVENANTS(TESTAMENTS)
Gal 4:22-24
22 For it is written that Abraham had two sons: the one by a bondwoman, the other by a freewoman.
23 But he who was of the bondwoman was born according to the flesh, and he of the freewoman through promise,
24 which things are symbolic. For these are the two covenants: the one from Mount Sinai which gives birth to bondage, which is Hagar--
Gal 4:28-5:4
28 Now we, brethren, as Isaac was, are children of promise.
29 But, as he who was born according to the flesh then persecuted him who was born according to the Spirit, even so it is now.
30 Nevertheless what does the Scripture say? "Cast out the bondwoman and her son, for the son of the bondwoman shall not be heir with the son of the freewoman."
31 So then, brethren, we are not children of the bondwoman but of the free.
CHAPTER 5
1 Stand fast therefore in the liberty by which Christ has made us free, and do not be entangled again with a yoke of bondage.
2 Indeed I, Paul, say to you that if you become circumcised, Christ will profit you nothing.
3 And I testify again to every man who becomes circumcised that he is a debtor to keep the whole law.
4 You have become estranged from Christ, you who attempt to be justified by law; you have fallen from grace.
Heb 8:6-7
6 But now He has obtained a more excellent ministry, inasmuch as He is also Mediator of a better covenant, which was established on better promises.
7 For if that first covenant had been faultless, then no place would have been sought for a second.
Heb 8:13
13 In that He says, "A new covenant," He has made the first obsolete. Now what is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready to vanish away.
Heb 7:18-19
18 For on the one hand there is an annulling of the former commandment because of its weakness and unprofitableness,
19 for the law made nothing perfect; on the other hand, there is the bringing in of a better hope, through which we draw near to God.
Heb 7:22
22 by so much more Jesus has become a surety of a better covenant.
Heb 9:15-17
15 And for this reason He is the Mediator of the new covenant, by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions under the first covenant, that those who are called may receive the promise of the eternal inheritance.
16 For where there is a testament, there must also of necessity be the death of the testator.
17 For a testament is in force after men are dead, since it has no power at all while the testator lives.
Heb 10:9-10
9 then He said, "Behold, I have come to do Your will, O God." He takes away the first that He may establish the second.
10 By that will we have been sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.
Luke 16:16
16 "The law and the prophets were until John. Since that time the kingdom of God has been preached, and everyone is pressing into it.
(NKJ)
Matt 11:12-13
12 "And from the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven suffers violence, and the violent take it by force.
13 "For all the prophets and the law prophesied until John.
2 Cor 3:11-17
11 For if what is passing away was glorious, what remains is much more glorious.
12 Therefore, since we have such hope, we use great boldness of speech--
13 unlike Moses, who put a veil over his face so that the children of Israel could not look steadily at the end of what was passing away.
14 But their minds were blinded. For until this day the same veil remains unlifted in the reading of the Old Testament, because the veil is taken away in Christ.
15 But even to this day, when Moses is read, a veil lies on their heart.
16 Nevertheless when one turns to the Lord, the veil is taken away.
17 Now the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.
Gal 4:19-21
19 My little children, for whom I labor in birth again until Christ is formed in you,
20 I would like to be present with you now and to change my tone; for I have doubts about you.
21 Tell me, you who desire to be under the law, do you not hear the law?
Gal 4:25-26
25 for this Hagar is Mount Sinai in Arabia, and corresponds to Jerusalem which now is, and is in bondage with her children--
26 but the Jerusalem above is free, which is the mother of us all.
Gal 4:27
27 For it is written: "Rejoice, O barren, you who do not bear! Break forth and shout, you who are not in labor! For the desolate has many more children than she who has a husband."
Gal 3:20-23
20 Now a mediator does not mediate for one only, but God is one.
21 Is the law then against the promises of God? Certainly not! For if there had been a law given which could have given life, truly righteousness would have been by the law.
22 But the Scripture has confined all under sin, that the promise by faith in Jesus Christ might be given to those who believe.
23 But before faith came, we were kept under guard by the law, kept for the faith which would afterward be revealed.
Gal 4:6-7
6 And because you are sons, God has sent forth the Spirit of His Son into your hearts, crying out, "Abba, Father!"
7 Therefore you are no longer a slave but a son, and if a son, then an heir of God through Christ.
Gal 3:12
12 Yet the law is not of faith, but "the man who does them shall live by them."
Gal 3:15
15 Brethren, I speak in the manner of men: Though it is only a man's covenant, yet if it is confirmed, no one annuls or adds to it.
Gal 3:17-18
17 And this I say, that the law, which was four hundred and thirty years later, cannot annul the covenant that was confirmed before by God in Christ, that it should make the promise of no effect.
18 For if the inheritance is of the law, it is no longer of promise; but God gave it to Abraham by promise.
Acts 13:39
39 "and by Him everyone who believes is justified from all things from which you could not be justified by the law of Moses.
Luke 22:35-36
35 And He said to them, "When I sent you without money bag, knapsack, and sandals, did you lack anything?" So they said, "Nothing."
36 Then He said to them, "But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one.
Rom 8:13
13 For if you live according to the flesh you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live.
Rom 9:30-32
30 What shall we say then? That Gentiles, who did not pursue righteousness, have attained to righteousness, even the righteousness of faith;
31 but Israel, pursuing the law of righteousness, has not attained to the law of righteousness.
32 Why? Because they did not seek it by faith, but as it were, by the works of the law. For they stumbled at that stumbling stone.
James 2:10
10 For whoever shall keep the whole law, and yet stumble in one point, he is guilty of all.
Heb 9:22
22 And according to the law almost all things are purified with blood, and without shedding of blood there is no remission.
(NKJ)
xxxx There are two covenants(testaments). Just as Abraham had to send one son away so we have to send one covenant away. You cant let them grow together inside you. One or the other not both. The old testament is the law of sin and death, first covenant. The new testament is the law of Christ second covenant.

Heb 10:9
9 then He said, "Behold, I have come to do Your will, O God." He takes away the first that He may establish the second.
(NKJ)

Rom 7:4-9
4 Therefore, my brethren, you also have become dead to the law through the body of Christ, that you may be married to another-- to Him who was raised from the dead, that we should bear fruit to God.
5 For when we were in the flesh, the sinful passions which were aroused by the law were at work in our members to bear fruit to death.
6 But now we have been delivered from the law, having died to what we were held by, so that we should serve in the newness of the Spirit and not in the oldness of the letter.
7 What shall we say then? Is the law sin? Certainly not! On the contrary, I would not have known sin except through the law. For I would not have known covetousness unless the law had said, "You shall not covet."
8 But sin, taking opportunity by the commandment, produced in me all manner of evil desire. For apart from the law sin was dead.
9 I was alive once without the law, but when the commandment came, sin revived and I died.
(NKJ)

Luke 16:16
16 "The law and the prophets were until John. Since that time the kingdom of God has been preached, and everyone is pressing into it.
(NKJ)

Matt 11:12-13
12 "And from the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven suffers violence, and the violent take it by force.
13 "For all the prophets and the law prophesied until John.
(NKJ)

Gal 6:2
2 Bear one another's burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ.
(NKJ)

rainee

Oh man, what a great thread.

And I think I see pretty clearly why Nang says women like me should shut the heck up.

But may I simply say that I trust I will not mess anything up after these very solid and informative posts.

And I would like to ask doesn't Squeaky show in some verses that there are only two covenants on one level?

The First, was to Israel (Exodus 3:6, 7)
And the New one, or Everlasting one, was to Israel.
(as was stipulated in the First one.. And we the gentiles are part of that.)
(yes?)

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
Where were the Edenic and Adamic covenants given in Scripture? or are they assumed?

I. THE EDENIC COVENANT:

A. Scripture: Genesis 1:28-30: And God blessed them: and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it; and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the birds of the heavens, and over every living thing that moves upon the earth. And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb yielding seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for food: and to every beast of the earth, and to every bird of the heavens, and to everything that creeps upon the earth, wherein there is life, I have given every green herb for food: and it was so.

Genesis 2:15-17: And Jehovah God took the man, and put him into the garden of Eden to dress it and to keep it. And Jehovah God commanded the man, saying, Of every tree of the garden you may freely eat: but of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, you shall not eat of it: for in the day that you eat thereof you shall surely die.

Hosea 6:7: But they like Adam have transgressed the covenant: there have they dealt treacherously against me.

B. The Participants in the Covenant The Edenic Covenant was made between God and Adam in which Adam stood as the representative head of the human race. Thus the actions of Adam are attributed to the whole of humanity.

C. The Provisions of the Covenant All together, there were a total of seven provisions in the Edenic Covenant. First: man was told: Be fruitful, and multiply and replenish the earth (Gen. 1:28a). The earth was created for the purpose of being the habitation of man, and then man was created on the sixth day. Man was told to populate the earth; so the increase in population is part of his commission. The earth was to be filled with humanity .

Second: man was told to subdue the earth (Gen. 1:28b). Previously, authority over the earth had been given to Satan (Ezek. 28:11-19). But when Satan fell, he lost his authority over this earth. That is the reason Genesis 1:2 describes the earth as being covered by water and darkness being over the face of the deep. Hence, God began to form and fashion the earth anew to make it habitable for man, and this time He would give man the authority over the earth. Man was to subdue it; he was to use the natural resources and energies of the earth that God had provided for him. However, this did not mean he was allowed to pollute it!
Third: man was given dominion over all living things (Gen.1:28c). The earlier provision gave man authority over the earth as far as non living things were concerned. This provision extended man's authority over all living creatures. The entire animal kingdom on the earth, in the air, and in the sea was put under the authority of man. The first exercise of this authority was man's naming of the animals (Gen. 2:19-20).

The fourth provision concerned man's diet (Gen. 1:29-30; 2:16). At this point man was to be a vegetarian. There is nothing in this covenant that allowed him to eat of the animal kingdom although he was to exercise authority over it. No blood of any kind was to be shed.

A fifth provision directed man to dress and to keep the Garden of Eden (Gen. 2:15). Even in his unfallen state, man was not to lead a life of pure leisure; work was part of the human ethic even before the Fall. However, labor was easy and the land would produce easily; it was not toilsome.

The sixth provision was that man was forbidden to eat of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil (Gen. 2:17a). This was the only negative commandment in the entire Edenic Covenant and was the one point that would test man's obedience. He was free to eat of all the other trees of the garden but was to refrain from eating of that one. This was the one test to see how man would respond to the will of God; it was a test of the recognition of and the submission to the will of God. Man was not to assume that, because he was given authority over the earth and the animal kingdom, he himself was independent of God and exempt from God's law. The question that raises is, “Will man, like Satan before him, reject God's right to rule and declare himself independent of God?”

The seventh provision contained a penalty for disobedience: spiritual death (Gen. 2:17b). This cannot refer to physical death because man did not die on the very day that he disobeyed the commandment. So the death spoken of here must be spiritual death. In the day that he eats of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, he will be separated from God and will die spiritually.

D. The Status of the Covenant The Edenic Covenant was the basis for the Dispensation of Innocence. The record of the Edenic Covenant's being broken is found in Genesis 3:1-8.

Satan appeared in the Garden of Eden as a fallen creature. This shows that man was not created in a perfect universe, for sin was already in existence. Although it was not yet existent in man, it was already present in Satan. The devil did his work of tempting man in the same three areas as set forth in I John 2:16.

The first phrase of Genesis 3:6: And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, corresponds to the first phrase of I John 2:16: the lust of the flesh.The second phrase of Genesis 3:6:and that it was a delight to the eyes, corresponds to the second phrase of I John 2:16:the lust of the eyes. And the third phrase of Genesis 3:6:and that it was a delight to the eyes, corresponds to the second phrase of I John 2:16: and the vainglory [pride] of life

Eve gave in to the temptation and disobeyed the one negative commandment. Adam recognized what had happened, but he still chose to join his wife in disobedience. Their first reaction was an attempt to hide from the presence of God, which only illustrated the truth of Genesis 2:17. Man at that very moment died spiritually and could no longer share the same communion with God he had experienced before his disobedience. With that act, the Edenic Covenant, being conditional, came to an end.

Dr Fruchtenbaum

way 2 go

There is a misguided idea out there that God has two Covenants, one being the Law and the other being the imaginary Covenant of Grace found nowhere in scripture. Lol

The bible doesn't need to spell out a covenant of grace because grace has always been the method of salvation.

Lev 4:27 "If anyone of the common people sins unintentionally in doing any one of the things
that by the LORD's commandments ought not to be done, and realizes his guilt,
Lev 4:28 or the sin which he has committed is made known to
him, he shall bring for his offering a goat, a female without blemish, for his sin which he has committed.
Lev 4:31 And all its fat he shall remove, as the fat is removed from the peace offerings,
and the priest shall burn it on the altar for a pleasing aroma to the LORD. And the priest shall make atonement for him, and he shall be forgiven.

are you saying in the old testament
God was wasting his breath
telling people to make atonement for there sin ?

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
No but you are calling the entire Old Testament the old covenant aren't you?

What are you doin' son?

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
I thought you were calvinist? :think:

No. I am a moderate. But my view can be defined as a four pointer.

I'm a Christian. Thx for praying for my granpop. They switched his meds from morphine to oxycodone.

I'm able to be with him w/out his mind being fearful. Thank you

rainee

Please excuse me, excuse me, excuse me. I do not want to be a stir-er up of confusion. I just like to challenge your mind the way you challenge mine. But somehow I fear I can be trouble because I 'm female - somehow I may have the power of persuasion... I'm sorry for that - do not be easily moved.

Ready?

Where is the blood?

With a pact known as a covenant shouldn't there be a number of things present?
Like a blood sacrifice?

AS an example I offer Noah and God's covenant with him and all living things.
Noah sacrificed and God gave the covenant and then a sign of the covenant, yes? Or no?

Same with Abraham - there is sacrifice (blood) at that time too.

And do you count the covenant that started with Abraham
but got more and more whatever you want to call it, complex, difficult, and hard - then do you call this covenant as plurals? When it is same Two Participants - God and Abe and his offspring?

But as for Adam. God did kill an animal and made skins to cover man - but was man given a covenant at that time? Man was thrown out of the garden then. (But it was after he was given good and bad news, like promises and curses, right?)
Also - when God set man up in the garden and the fall that came after is that like an example of why God started making covenants maybe?

ps:
My apologies to Dr Fruchtenbaum

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
Please excuse me, excuse me, excuse me. I do not want to be a stir-er up of confusion. I just like to challenge your mind the way you challenge mine. But somehow I fear I can be trouble because I 'm female - somehow I may have the power of persuasion... I'm sorry for that - do not be easily moved.

Ready?

Where is the blood?

Like a blood sacrifice?

Noah sacrificed and God gave the covenant and then a sign of the covenant, yes? Or no?

but got more and more whatever you want to call it, complex, difficult, and hard - then do you call this covenant as plurals? When it is same Two Participants - God and Abe and his offspring?

But as for Adam. God did kill an animal and made skins to cover man - but was man given a covenant at that time? Man was thrown out of the garden then. (But it was after he was given good and bad news, like promises and curses, right?)
Also - when God set man up in the garden and the fall that came after is that like an example of why God started making covenants maybe?

ps:

http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96035

rainee

Thank you for showing me the thread, Intojoy.

I am a bit embarrassed...

Here is the deal: Some women are argumentative. In fact some women are so argumentative they are down right contentious. I think Solomon might feel very sorry for you if you were in the presence of one of those.

And here on the internet how can you tell ?

So maybe in the future you could be on the safe side and just answer either "Yes" (not "yes dear", which is for wives only) or, "Hmm,
food for thought, thanks."
Especially after a female tries to give a sisterly help in a humble way.

But instead you send me away to see something about men and their wedding rings?

Now then you can think about that while I put together my comparison of Adam and Noah...

Oh and the moment you wrote Noah represented you and other men - you should've known something was wrong, imho.

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
David was saved by grace. He was not executed as he should have been according to the law.

Yet he was.

David was an example of a Christian in that he had received something of God's Spirit before the time.

Most important to recognize when reading of David.

Mat 12:1 At that time Jesus went on the sabbath day through the corn; and his disciples were an hungred, and began to pluck the ears of corn, and to eat.
Mat 12:2 But when the Pharisees saw it, they said unto him, Behold, thy disciples do that which is not lawful to do upon the sabbath day.
Mat 12:3 But he said unto them, Have ye not read what David did, when he was an hungred, and they that were with him;
Mat 12:4 How he entered into the house of God, and did eat the shewbread, which was not lawful for him to eat, neither for them which were with him, but only for the priests?
Mat 12:5 Or have ye not read in the law, how that on the sabbath days the priests in the temple profane the sabbath, and are blameless?
Mat 12:6 But I say unto you, That in this place is one greater than the temple.
Mat 12:7 But if ye had known what this meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice, ye would not have condemned the guiltless.
Mat 12:8 For the Son of man is Lord even of the sabbath day.

LA

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned

Ready?

Where is the blood?

Like a blood sacrifice?

ps:

God help you

Last edited:

Nang

TOL Subscriber
Because dispensational delusion got dishonorably discharged

My "Dispensational Delusion" thread was rudely interrupted and corrupted by an enemy of the Gospel of Jesus Christ, by the poster, John W., who is designated by the inner circle of TOL TO DISTRACT threads that present the true Gospel of Grace, with his ungodly nonsense.

Rather than letting him potentially harm "little ones" who might be reading to find God'sTruth, by his constant references to drug use, and by every other distraction he could think of to deflect young minds from considering biblical discussion, I closed my thread against his presence.

Nang