Theology Club: The Beginning of the Present Dispensation Was at Acts 13

heir

TOL Subscriber
Why did you not quote verses one and two?
It only affirms that it is the gospel of God:

Romans 1:1 Paul, a servant of Jesus Christ, called to be an apostle, separated unto the gospel of God,

Romans 1:2 (Which he had promised afore by his prophets in the holy scriptures,)

Romans 1:3 Concerning his Son Jesus Christ our Lord, which was made of the seed of David according to the flesh;

Romans 1:4 And declared to be the Son of God with power, according to the spirit of holiness, by the resurrection from the dead:

Both of them preached it. It was foundation for both

1 Thessalonians 2:8 So being affectionately desirous of you, we were willing to have imparted unto you, not the gospel of God only, but also our own souls, because ye were dear unto us.

1 Peter 4:17 For the time is come that judgment must begin at the house of God: and if it first begin at us, what shall the end be of them that obey not the gospel of God?

heir

TOL Subscriber
Why did you not quote verses one and two?:

"Paul, a servant of Jesus Christ, called to be an apostle, separated unto the gospel of God, (Which he had promised afore by his prophets in the holy scriptures,)" (Ro.1:1-2).​

The gospel Paul preached was not based on prophecy but instead it was a secret or "mystery":

"Now to him who is able to establish you in accordance with my gospel, the message I proclaim about Jesus Christ, in keeping with the revelation of the mystery hidden for long ages past" (Ro.16:25-26).​

Have you not yet learned to distinguish between "prophecy" and "mystery"?
You are showing a verse about the gospel of God (Romans 1) "which he had promised afore by his prophets in the holy scriptures" and then a verse about Paul's gospel (Romans 16:25) "which was kept secret since the world began,..." You are SOOOOOO confused. Put down the commentary and pick up the KJ Bible! It will GREATLY help you!

Jerry Shugart

You are showing a verse about the gospel of God (Romans 1) "which he had promised afore by his prophets in the holy scriptures" and then a verse about Paul's gospel (Romans 16:25) "which was kept secret since the world began,..." You are SOOOOOO confused. Put down the commentary and pick up the KJ Bible! It will GREATLY help you!

You cannot even keep up with a simple argument. The argument of STP was that the gospel of God applied to both churches of Acts.

You are so lacking in spiritual discernment that you continue to insist that the Jews who lived under the law could not be saved apart from works DESPITE the fact that the Lord Jesus told those Jews that all they had to do was to "believe" in order to be saved:

"Very truly I tell you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be judged but has crossed over from death to life" (Jn.5:24).​

Of course those of us who actually believe the Bible KNOW that the Lord Jesus says nothing about works being necessary for salvation for the Jews who lived under the law.

But since you are blind to what the Scriptures say you cling to the false teaching within the Psuedo-MAD community that contradict the Lord Jesus' own words. The Bible is not your final authority but instead the teaching within the Psuedo-MAD community.

heir

TOL Subscriber
You cannot even keep up with a simple argument. The argument of STP was that the gospel of God applied to both churches of Acts.
It did!

As mentioned before, they both preached it. It was the foundation for both

1 Thessalonians 2:8 So being affectionately desirous of you, we were willing to have imparted unto you, not the gospel of God only, but also our own souls, because ye were dear unto us.

1 Peter 4:17 For the time is come that judgment must begin at the house of God: and if it first begin at us, what shall the end be of them that obey not the gospel of God?

I think you should take a step back and reexamine what's already been stated. You are confused.

Danoh

You are so lacking in spiritual discernment that you continue to insist that the Jews who lived under the law could not be saved apart from works DESPITE the fact that the Lord Jesus told those Jews that all they had to do was to "believe" in order to be saved:

"Very truly I tell you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be judged but has crossed over from death to life" (Jn.5:24).​

Of course those of us who actually believe the Bible KNOW that the Lord Jesus says nothing about works being necessary for salvation for the Jews who lived under the law.

But since you are blind to what the Scriptures say you cling to the false teaching within the Psuedo-MAD community that contradict the Lord Jesus' own words. The Bible is not your final authority but instead the teaching within the Psuedo-MAD community.

Why does this idiot - Jerry Shugart the blow hard - continue to turn every subject, post, thread into the above - lost Jews - pet peeve of his while insulting others with "You are so lacking in spiritual discernment..." and "those who actually believe the Bible KNOW..." and "since you are so blind..."

He must get a real kick out of treating sisters in the Lord so shabbily. I can just imagine the guy's poor wife.

Jerry should be banned.

Jerry Shugart

Can't wait til Jerry is either banned forever, gets a life, or drops dead.

You are out of control and obviously in need of professional help.

I will no longer respond to anything new which you say because my remarks just make your condition worse.

I pray in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ that you will seek help.

Danoh

heir,

You are right and I was indeed confused about what Paul said in the first verses found in the epistle to the Romans.

Thanks!

Jerry calls that that an acknowledgement that heir was.

Jerry is an arrogant, bullying, blow hard.

Jerry Shugart

Here are three quotes from the pen of Paul where he speaks of a "dispensation" that has been committed or given to him:

"If ye have heard of the dispensation of the grace of God which is given me toward you" (Eph. 3:2).​

"Whereof I am made a minister, according to the dispensation of God which is given to me for you, to fulfil the word of God" (Col.1:25).​

"...a dispensation of the gospel is committed unto me" (1 Cor.9:17).​

The "dispensation" which was committed to Paul is in regard to "God's grace," a "ministry", and a "gospel." Here Paul sums up his dispensational responsibility:

"But none of these things move me, neither count I my life dear unto myself, so that I might finish my course with joy, and the ministry, which I have received of the Lord Jesus, to testify the gospel of the grace of God" (Acts 20: 24).​

The present dispensation began when the dispensational responsibility was first exercised by Paul. And since the following verse is speaking about Paul's gospel we can know that the present dispensation did not begin until he began to preach that gospel to Gentiles:

"But when God, who set me apart from my mother’s womb and called me by his grace, was pleased to reveal his Son in me so that I might preach him among the Gentiles, my immediate response was not to consult any human being" (Gal.1:15-16).​

I believe that Paul first preached the gospel of the grace of God to the Gentiles here:

"Then Paul and Barnabas waxed bold, and said, It was necessary that the word of God should first have been spoken to you: but seeing ye put it from you, and judge yourselves unworthy of everlasting life, lo, we turn to the Gentiles. For so hath the Lord commanded us, saying, I have set thee to be a light of the Gentiles, that thou shouldest be for salvation unto the ends of the earth. And when the Gentiles heard this, they were glad, and glorified the word of the Lord: and as many as were ordained to eternal life believed" (Acts 13:46-48).​

Paul's dispensational responsibility to preach the gospel of the grace of God to the Gentiles is spoken of here:

"As they ministered to the Lord, and fasted, the Holy Ghost said, Separate me Barnabas and Saul for the work whereunto I have called them. And when they had fasted and prayed, and laid their hands on them, they sent them away" (Acts 13:2-3).​

Danoh

I have moved my post on my own understanding of that to post #17 below:

http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4441510#post4441510

Shasta

Hi and IF you would see what the Greek text says , you will find 6 Gospels !!

#1 , Rom 1:1 uses the Greek word for Gospel , EVAGGELION !!

1 Paul, a servant of Christ Jesus, called to be an apostle, set apart for the gospel of God, 2 which he promised beforehand through his prophets in the holy Scriptures, 3 concerning his Son, who was descended from David according to the flesh (Romans 1:1-3)

Paul says the content of his Gospel consisted of the person, work, and message of the Son as it was foretold by the prophets in the scriptures. The disciples knew this as well because after the resurrection Jesus had come and explained to them the reasons he had to suffer and how he had fulfilled the scriptures.

#2 , Gal 2:7 uses thre Greek word for Gospel / EVAGGELION only for PAUL'S Gospel and most do not see that in verse 7 Peter's message is not called a gospel , do you know WHY ??:bang::bang:

Same Greek word used here EVAGGELION !!

It is the same word that is used in the OT prophesies too.

What Peter preached IS called THE gospel (singular) in other passages.

Acts 8:25
25 When they had testified and proclaimed the word of the Lord, Peter and John returned to Jerusalem, preaching the gospel in many Samaritan villages.

Acts 8:40
40 Philip, however, appeared at Azotus and traveled about, preaching the gospel in all the towns until he reached Caesarea.

Acts 15:7
7 After much discussion, Peter got up and addressed them: "Brothers, you know that some time ago God made a choice among you that the Gentiles might hear from my lips the message of the gospel and believe.

As to your question, I realize that in Galatians 2:7 the second mention of the word “gospel” is not in the original Greek text. This presents no problem to me, however. Taking the verse as it stands it is evident that the ONE Gospel message was to be sent out via two teams of emissaries to two audiences - the Jews and the Gentiles. This is consistent with all the other scriptures which speak of ONE Gospel which is efficacious for the salvation of Jews as well as Gentiles.

#3 , In Gal 3:8 The Greek for Gospel is PRFO EUAGGELIZO MAI or PROEUAGGELIZOMAI means , to announce before hand , see G4283 !!

dan p

Yes, the gospel was announced beforehand in that it was prefigured but this was only a foreshadowing OF the gospel not the preaching OF the gospel. You might classify Isaiah as a preacher of good news but neither he nor the people understood his message until the events were upon them. Even after the cross Jesus had to come back and explain to the disciples what had happened. I guess I do not see your point unless you are trying to add another "gospel" to your list by smuggling one in from the OT.

musterion

Why does this idiot - Jerry Shugart the blow hard - continue to turn every subject, post, thread into the above - lost Jews - pet peeve of his while insulting others with "You are so lacking in spiritual discernment..." and "those who actually believe the Bible KNOW..." and "since you are so blind..."

He must get a real kick out of treating sisters in the Lord so shabbily. I can just imagine the guy's poor wife.

Jerry should be banned.

I have Jerry on semi-permanent ignore but you've gone well over the top again. Allow me to humbly advise you to reign it and do likewise with Jerry, before a Mod puts you on TOL-wide ignore.

glorydaz

Looks to me that he honestly admitted to an error, as many of us do. What's the problem?

You haven't seen how Jerry has ruined every thread Danoh has started? I have. You haven't watched Jerry attack other posters whether they are responding to him or not? I have. Jerry needs a smack down and I call that a tough job that someone needs to take on. Danoh has attempted to do that. That's the problem.....

Jerry Shugart

You haven't seen how Jerry has ruined every thread Danoh has started?

According to you and your comrades if I quote Scriptures to support my beliefs then the thread is ruined. And it is especially ruinous to you all because you usually just run and hide from those verses!

musterion

You haven't seen how Jerry has ruined every thread Danoh has started? I have. You haven't watched Jerry attack other posters whether they are responding to him or not? I have. Jerry needs a smack down and I call that a tough job that someone needs to take on. Danoh has attempted to do that. That's the problem.....

"Ruin" is a relative term but I make no defense of anything Jerry's done...except this. I just saw the man appear to make an honest admission of error (a TOL first as far as I know) but he was not given the simple grace that that deserves. Instead his face was rubbed in it. That's my only issue here.