Self defense systems

The Berean

It's not super dangerous here, but there is some crime. I live in a city right outside Pittsburgh so it's worth it to have one. That being said, anywhere can be dangerous. It doesn't matter where you are. I'd rather have a gun and not need it than not have one and wish I did.

The reason I originally bought a hand gun, to be quite honest, was because of the things I was doing at the time. I thought it was a good idea to carry because of the people I was dealing with and things I was doing. And I was also living with a girlfriend who has an ex-husband who was getting paroled after a convicted rape who wanted to meet up Old West style. For all these reasons, I decided to get a carry permit. But regardless, I still want one just because of how dangerous America is anymore. I'd rather be able to sufficiently defend myself and my family than not.
I see. That makes sense with the ex-con being released from prison. Have you decided or considered in what situations you would actually draw and fire your firearm? The reason I ask is because self defense laws are quite narrow and specific aren't they? You may shoot and maybe kill someone because you felt your life was in serious danger at that moment but the police and district attorney's office may decide otherwise and press felony charges against you? How would you feel about that?

Daniel1611

I see. That makes sense with the ex-con being released from prison. Have you decided or considered in what situations you would actually draw and fire your firearm? The reason I ask is because self defense laws are quite narrow and specific aren't they? You may shoot and maybe kill someone because you felt your life was in serious danger at that moment but the police and district attorney's office may decide otherwise and press felony charges against you? How would you feel about that?

I would only draw my firearms if I felt it were necessary to use it, and if I were going to actually use it. A few things to remember about guns are 1. Only use it if your life is in danger. If your life is in danger, it would be better to stand trial than to just be dead. It's better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6 as they say. 2. Don't draw your firearm unless you are not positive that you will pull the trigger if necessary. 3. If you shoot someone, shoot to kill. As far as I have read, you have a better legal standing for self defense if you shoot to kill than if you shoot to injure. Which makes sense. If you are only shooting to injure, was your life really in danger? If your very life were at risk, you would have shot to kill.

The Berean

I would only draw my firearms if I felt it were necessary to use it, and if I were going to actually use it. A few things to remember about guns are 1. Only use it if your life is in danger. If your life is in danger, it would be better to stand trial than to just be dead. It's better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6 as they say. 2. Don't draw your firearm unless you are not positive that you will pull the trigger if necessary. 3. If you shoot someone, shoot to kill. As far as I have read, you have a better legal standing for self defense if you shoot to kill than if you shoot to injure. Which makes sense. If you are only shooting to injure, was your life really in danger? If your very life were at risk, you would have shot to kill.

I see. This makes sense. I agree on the shoot to kill part. I guess the hard part is gauging the intent of the other person? :idunno: What if the other person just wants to give you a beat down but had no intention of killing you? Of course knowing that beforehand is probably not easy to determine.

Daniel1611

I see. This makes sense. I agree on the shoot to kill part. I guess the hard part is gauging the intent of the other person? :idunno: What if the other person just wants to give you a beat down but had no intention of killing you? Of course knowing that beforehand is probably not easy to determine.

I suppose some personal judgment would be necessary. I would have to feel my life is in danger to draw my weapon. It's probably just one of those things where you'd have to be in the situation at the time to know what you would do. Unfortunately, everything isn't always black and white. Things would be easier if they were. Do you carry or thinking about it?

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame

People can be killed by "beat downs" and killing someone trying to beat you down, is self defense.

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
I was wondering what are the best self defense fighting systems to defend yourself in a real world situation? Have you had to defend yourself from a would be attacker? If so how did it go?

Since you stipulated 'systems', I prefer Wing Chun....in close explosion, game over. For distance, one best have a hand gun.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Never really had a serious threat. All the people who have wanted to beat me up were relatively incompetent.

Which is my choice of self-defense. Never anger someone who's tougher than you are.

"And never scare a little man. He'll kill you."
Robert Heinlein

99lamb

I give'm a daisy

girl-giving-daisy.jpg

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
It's not how hard you get hit but how clean. Weight plus speed equals power. When hit in the chin either direct, up or across the swivel effect causes the brain to wiggle inside the skull and when this happens a shock is sent down the nervous system to the knees causing a buckling effect.

The theory of landing a punch cleanly is best done in boxing. Because emphasis is on controlling speed by regulating power. In other words a well placed punch can drop an assailant with just 35-50% of power behind it.

Weight plus speed is like this, if a throw a bullet at you nothing will happen but if it's chambered and fired from a gun it can cause devastation.

Learning to throw proper punches is the best defense system available to anyone who is not a fighter. Plus if one takes it to a level of sparring against others that will acclimate him to realtime experience.

I learned to box as a young man and although I can be dragged down and out wrestled by an MMA fighter, I have no lack of confidence that if I catch anyone cleanly on the chin they're done.

This type of striking is what I teach girls for self defense. Even at 130lbs a woman can drop a 220lb man by sinking her knuckles into his chin. Other than that it's a 50/50 chance for anyone in a street fight.

JosephR

It's not how hard you get hit but how clean. Weight plus speed equals power. When hit in the chin either direct, up or across the swivel effect causes the brain to wiggle inside the skull and when this happens a shock is sent down the nervous system to the knees causing a buckling effect.

The theory of landing a punch cleanly is best done in boxing. Because emphasis is on controlling speed by regulating power. In other words a well placed punch can drop an assailant with just 35-50% of power behind it.

Weight plus speed is like this, if a throw a bullet at you nothing will happen but if it's chambered and fired from a gun it can cause devastation.

Learning to throw proper punches is the best defense system available to anyone who is not a fighter. Plus if one takes it to a level of sparring against others that will acclimate him to realtime experience.

I learned to box as a young man and although I can be dragged down and out wrestled by an MMA fighter, I have no lack of confidence that if I catch anyone cleanly on the chin they're done.

This type of striking is what I teach girls for self defense. Even at 130lbs a woman can drop a 220lb man by sinking her knuckles into his chin. Other than that it's a 50/50 chance for anyone in a street fight.

U teach women to throw jabs to the button? the throat would seem to be a better target or eye.

JosephR

If you have a gun on you and get into violence,, use it... most ppl are killed by taking away there gun and used on themselves,,, I would never get in a fist fight if I was carrying a gun.. its just dangerous..

Daniel1611

Hip rotation in key to a strong punch or kick. I trained with women, just average size women, that could hit hard as hell because of the technique. Any good martial arts or self defense instructor is going to teach strikes, take downs, submissions, etc. that take no strength.

There was one young woman I trained with who was pretty small. She could and would knock you down when sparring. There was a rapist here a few years back that was finally caught because he attacked this particular girl and she put him in the hospital. Technique is much more important that brute strength.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
WELL THIS IS A WEIRD THREAD

WELL THIS IS A WEIRD THREAD

Self defense without a weapon? Training very young in basic judo and Jujitsu, with Kempo were the most available forms of instruction years ago. There have been later styles, Okinawan, Chun Kuk Do Japanese,Shotokan, and Bruce lee, Jeet Kune Do, and Silat Malaysian martial defense.

The best would probably be 50A&E

This Charming Manc

technique and brute force helps :)

Hip rotation in key to a strong punch or kick. I trained with women, just average size women, that could hit hard as hell because of the technique. Any good martial arts or self defense instructor is going to teach strikes, take downs, submissions, etc. that take no strength.

There was one young woman I trained with who was pretty small. She could and would knock you down when sparring. There was a rapist here a few years back that was finally caught because he attacked this particular girl and she put him in the hospital. Technique is much more important that brute strength.

Sealeaf

I would strike for the throat and then when my attacker broke his attack to protect his throat, run like heck. Everyone will protect their throat.
But if you know you are in danger and you have the choice, carry a gun and shoot to kill. As a cop told me, "better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6".

If I knew I was really going into a dangerous place and had my choice, I would be carrying my pump action 12guage.

lightbringer

TOL Subscriber
I would strike for the throat and then when my attacker broke his attack to protect his throat, run like heck. Everyone will protect their throat.
But if you know you are in danger and you have the choice, carry a gun and shoot to kill. As a cop told me, "better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6".If I knew I was really going into a dangerous place and had my choice,

?

I'd go somewhere else!