Self defense systems

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
This is an article about a study on the way people walk and the way assailants assess our motion in choosing victims:

BBC Future: How the way we walk can increase risk of being mugged

It's interesting that you can learn to "walk the walk" that can help keep you from being targeted:

Worth a read, it's really interesting.

i don't get bothered at all when i'm walking around

5661954-adult-man-carrying-a-shotgun.jpg

kmoney

Hall of Fame
I was wondering what are the best self defense fighting systems to defend yourself in a real world situation? Have you had to defend yourself from a would be attacker? If so how did it go?
This one seems pretty cool. ;)

ngScygC.gif

xAvarice

BANNED
Banned
The Solomon System.
A gentle answer turns away wrath...

:rotfl: Sure.

- - - - - -

The best self defense system is a well-experienced one - which one is irrelevant against the average attacker.

My huge dog helps [a lot]. But if you have naturally good balance and can keep calm under pressure, keep your hands up... then with a little knowledge of anatomy - there's little doubt you'll be in real danger. (Unless against someone armed)

I think krav maga is overrated macho nonsense that you'd never remember or be able to apply properly and that it's the experience of conflict that is actually useful.

So much improvisation goes into a fight that unless it's muscle memory [krav maga could be useful there with ENOUGH training] its natural intelligence, problem-solving, endurance and strength that usually comes out on top.

I think it's unwise to recommend martial arts or a system to someone who just is not capable regardless of experience/knowledge of defending themselves, especially in the face of death.

xAvarice

BANNED
Banned
Do you know anyone who's experienced in krav maga?

My father, my uncle and my other uncle in Afghanistan. - it became popular in my country when the SAS started using it or said they did.

My dad was attacked by 3 people and he didn't use any of it, I'd like to know what he used. My uncle prefers to hit people with hammers and my other uncle... With his 6'4 and drooping eye lid... I don't think anybody would ever be stupid enough.

Krav Maga is overrated. If you don't believe me - ask any guy what defense he uses - most of them will pick that one out of the air.

If what they say is true... Krav Maga isn't very good.

Posted from the TOL App!

xAvarice

BANNED
Banned
Did they have black belts in it? Or learn it as part of military training?

I don't know. I think they started teaching it to the military but I know the soldiers prefer boxing competitions.

I know extremely little about self defence besides life and reading cheesy Jack Reacher books.

Posted from the TOL App!

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
I don't know. I think they started teaching it to the military but I know the soldiers prefer boxing competitions.

I know extremely little about self defence besides life and reading cheesy Jack Reacher books.

For knowing extremely little you've got some pretty strong opinions.

xAvarice

BANNED
Banned
For knowing extremely little you've got some pretty strong opinions.

I don't say more than I know. I know that Krav Maga is overrated due to the fact that people who know nothing about anything always claim to know or use it.

Unlike PureX I don't claim to know something about something I can't know about.

Posted from the TOL App!

Buzzword

I don't say more than I know. I know that Krav Maga is overrated due to the fact that people who know nothing about anything always claim to know or use it.

That's a big blanket to toss.

How do you judge what a person knows and doesn't know?

My friend the Krav instructor had to defend himself when he got caught between two rival gangs on his way home two weeks ago

(I should add that he lives in Oakland. It's a fairly regular occurrence.)

He smashed groins and throats and ran like a bat outta hell.
Which he learned, and teaches, as a part of Krav.

"Knees to groin, elbows to throat. Then use your feet."
-The Krav Maga bible

xAvarice

BANNED
Banned
That's a big blanket to toss.

How do you judge what a person knows and doesn't know?

My friend the Krav instructor had to defend himself when he got caught between two rival gangs on his way home two weeks ago

(I should add that he lives in Oakland. It's a fairly regular occurrence.)

He smashed groins and throats and ran like a bat outta hell.

Which he learned, and teaches, as a part of Krav.

-The Krav Maga bible

By what they say.

And Krav Maga is useful... I agree with you. :idunno:

Supercars are overrated, they're still fast.

Posted from the TOL App!

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass

Unlike PureX I don't claim to know something about something I can't know about.

Except that's what you just did. :plain:

This Charming Manc

-The Krav Maga bible

I think its been round longer than a Krav maga but its hard to argue with.

Its what we were taught in the self defense lessons in of kick boxing.

Always apply your hard parts to their soft parts.

Just be careful with elbows to throat unless you can justify using lethal force, its always a risk.

xAvarice

BANNED
Banned
Except that's what you just did. :plain:

:nono:

My opinion is that Krav Maga's reputation precedes its usefulness (and I was talking about the average unexperienced/slightly experienced individual.

When I say very I know very little, I'm speaking the truth - but I've read enough about it... I have the SAS guide to it on my desk (that's how overrated it is, I own one)... so I can justify my mild opinion that you consider strong.

People shouldn't be encouraged to use self-defence when there's no hope of them defending themselves. Krav maga can't be of any use to many (perhaps most but I'm unsure) people.

Just be careful with elbows to throat unless you can justify using lethal force, its always a risk.

I've seen people get away with that without justification (usual self-defence or bar fight).

Buzzword

I think its been round longer than a Krav maga but its hard to argue with.

Its what we were taught in the self defense lessons in of kick boxing always apply your hard parts to their soft parts.

Unless it's a situation on the street where you're facing an unknown assailant.
Especially if you're taken from behind.
Hit whatever you have to to break away, then get away.

People shouldn't be encouraged to use self-defence when there's no hope of them defending themselves. Krav maga can't be of any use to many (perhaps most but I'm unsure) people.

Which is why Krav emphasizes GETTING AWAY as first priority.
Also, most instructors will tell you that if held at gunpoint, your money's not worth your life.

Krav contains techniques for disarming a gun-armed opponent because it was designed for military hand-to-hand combat, where a gun is not the end of the situation but the beginning.

This Charming Manc

Always

but always apply the hard to soft principle when you hit anything.

• Finger bite
  • back headbutt to nose.
  • Foot stamp
  • Shin stamp
  • Elbow to solar plexus
  • Gonad Twist

All to get you a break free and run and/or scream time.

Unless it's a situation on the street where you're facing an unknown assailant.
Especially if you're taken from behind.
Hit whatever you have to to break away, then get away.