Self defense systems

The Berean

I was wondering what are the best self defense fighting systems to defend yourself in a real world situation? Have you had to defend yourself from a would be attacker? If so how did it go?

Spitfire

Jiu jitsu? The personal/hand-to-hand combat taught by most militaries is a form of jiu jitsu or based heavily on it and judo. But aikido is probably the most purely defensive form of martial art. I would argue that shinkage ryu is the most fearsome kind of martial arts, though maybe not quite practical nowadays? :p Unless your life is like a Kill Bill movie?

Else I'd say there's no one way that's best for every situation and it would depend on specifically what you're defending yourself against!

Last edited:

Buzzword

A friend of mine teaches Krav Maga, the system developed by/for the IDF.

It seems to be the most practical, given that traditional martial arts have had to pare down much of their historical training due to real-world limitations.

Krav Maga has none, so there's no need for a "now this move wouldn't be advisable in case of a mugging" disclaimer.

KM Overview

This Charming Manc

I think there is significant difference between martial arts and self defense, they are two different things and it also depends how aggressive you want 'defense' to be.

Buzzword

I think there is significant difference between martial arts and self defense, they are two different things and it also depends how aggressive you want 'defense' to be.

This is why Krav Maga is so focused on neutralizing the assailant as fast as possible, by focusing on weak points of the body and applying a large amount of force in a few seconds.

Krav trainers teach defending against a knife attack, disarming or neutralizing an attacker armed with a handgun, how to spot potential improvised weapons when you're caught off-guard, etc.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Best defense:

filepicker%2FIhfVbEDvRMCGrcqaAS8w_pistol_m9_500.jpg

Doormat

I was wondering what are the best self defense fighting systems to defend yourself in a real world situation?

Mace. Police use it more than guns and it stops bears. It can give you the chance to retreat, which under U.S. law is generally your duty. When there is no duty to retreat, such as in castle doctrine, mace would be less damaging to property and create less risk of innocents being injured compared to a gun.

And in light of the effect of the stress of shooting "in combat," which is the impairment of fine motor skills, it would be easier for most people to hit a target in any light with mace than with a gun. Also, if you have to defend someone with a knife or gun to their throat, spraying mace at both the perpetrator and victim could save the victim's life, but shooting at the attacker you could hit the victim, or wrestling with the attacker he could kill the victim in the process.

Have you had to defend yourself from a would be attacker? If so how did it go?

I have been robbed three times in my life. Once at gunpoint. Two of the times I talked my way out of the situation and retreated at the first opportunity. The time I had a gun to my head and couldn't retreat, I just begged for my life (I was an unbeliever at the time). There was nothing I could have done in that situation with the gun pressed to my head and my friends lives at risk standing right next to me. If I had been alone and known Krav Maga at the time, perhaps I could have disarmed the guy and fled.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I was wondering what are the best self defense fighting systems to defend yourself in a real world situation? Have you had to defend yourself from a would be attacker? If so how did it go?

Can I assume you are thinking of being unprepared and things like a stabbing weapon are not a part of the system?

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Mace. Police use it more than guns and it stops bears.

Shut up with that already. The police should always use non-lethal force if somebody is not trying to murder or a threat like the North Hollywood shootout. Although I agree about the mace and people. Your wives, mothers and daughter should all have it and not be afraid to shoot in the face with it.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Shut up with that already. The police should always use non-lethal force if somebody is not trying to murder or a threat like the North Hollywood shootout.

You're more of a pill than usual lately. Eat some bran or something.

The best self defense "system" is to do your utmost to avoid situations where you put yourself in harm's way. If push comes to shove, well...

This is an extremely illuminating discussion.

http://www.samharris.org/blog/item/self-defense-and-the-law

Doormat

Shut up with that already. The police should always use non-lethal force if somebody is not trying to murder or a threat like the North Hollywood shootout.

Your comment is pointless (in light of the OP) and rude.

Although I agree about the mace and people. Your wives, mothers and daughter should all have it and not be afraid to shoot in the face with it.

:rolleyes:

Doormat

NickM said:
Can I assume you are thinking of being unprepared and things like a stabbing weapon are not a part of the system?

You can get the Commando Krav Maga DVD series. It covers knife attacks in depth. After you learn all those moves, and the ins and outs of knife fighting, mace and retreat will still seem like a better option I bet. Even the instructor on the Commando Krav Maga DVDs states first that when threatened with a knife you should retreat. All his instruction is if you can't retreat ... and don't have mace.

JosephR

Reall, krav? If your going to really take the time to study that then you wil def be prepared to defend yourself;)

A well rounded mix of western boxing and some anti choke moves like BJJ or my fave sambo will keep most attackers at bay. Pure self defense should be a thoughtfull mind, aware of your surroundings and a gun, ur not Gona out train a 230 lb man by buying a krav video...

Posted from the TOL App!

JosephR

Jiu jitsu? The personal/hand-to-hand combat taught by most militaries is a form of jiu jitsu or based heavily on it and judo. But aikido is probably the most purely defensive form of martial art. If would argue that shinkage ryu is the most fearsome kind of martial arts, though maybe not quite practical nowadays? :p Unless your life is like a Kill Bill movie?

Else I'd say there's no one way that's best for every situation and it would depend on specifically what you're defending yourself against!

BTW Buzzword Im not saying Krav is not great , but if your going to put the time in to learn a art I suggest getting a qualified instructor, not a DVD,,,

Spitfire I have practiced alot of the nerve strikes taught in ninjitsu and like you say , unless you live and train it like in kill bill it wont work to well... yes when you hit them they will shut down the nervous system but if you miss you would have been better of with a good palm to the nose to stop them from seeing and make your getaway :)

PureX

Fear and stupidity worked for me, but I don't think I would recommend it to anyone else, as it could just as easily have gotten me killed.

But the SOB didn't get my money!

Doormat

... ur not Gona out train a 230 lb man by buying a krav video...

True. But my "self-defense" strategy is to be able to outrun a 230lb man and outwit him. :)

My recommending the Commando Krav Maga DVDs was for poster The Berean to see what it takes to stand and defend against a knife attack.

JosephR

Fear and stupidity worked for me, but I don't think I would recommend it to anyone else, as it could just as easily have gotten me killed.

But the SOB didn't get my money!

My hard head got me through plenty as well :) and lack of fear.. jeez I should be dead by now...

And yeah doormat Krav is great for that but I just suggest a instructor.

Buzzword

BTW Buzzword Im not saying Krav is not great , but if your going to put the time in to learn a art I suggest getting a qualified instructor, not a DVD,,,

I wasn't advocating that particular dude's instructional series.

I just wanted to find a vid that showed some basic krav techniques without the blurriness of the usual camera-phone vids that too many instructors make.

With any martial art or self-defense system or whatever, a person taking you through the drills and sparring is always preferable to anything else.