Self defense systems

One Eyed Jack

I've had no formal training, but I find tackling followed by repeated punching to be pretty effective.

I've had some formal training (goju-ryu and taekwondo), but for some reason, it usually all goes out the window, and I just wade in there and take them to the ground. That seems to be my element. I should probably study some Brazilian jiu-jitsu, as it seems pretty similar to my natural way of doing things.

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
Reall, krav? If your going to really take the time to study that then you wil def be prepared to defend yourself;)

A well rounded mix of western boxing and some anti choke moves like BJJ or my fave sambo will keep most attackers at bay. Pure self defense should be a thoughtfull mind, aware of your surroundings and a gun, ur not Gona out train a 230 lb man by buying a krav video...

BTW Buzzword Im not saying Krav is not great , but if your going to put the time in to learn a art I suggest getting a qualified instructor, not a DVD,,,

Spitfire I have practiced alot of the nerve strikes taught in ninjitsu and like you say , unless you live and train it like in kill bill it wont work to well... yes when you hit them they will shut down the nervous system but if you miss you would have been better of with a good palm to the nose to stop them from seeing and make your getaway :)

This man has wisdom. :plain:

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
I've had some formal training (goju-ryu and taekwondo), but for some reason, it usually all goes out the window, and I just wade in there and take them to the ground. That seems to be my element. I should probably study some Brazilian jiu-jitsu, as it seems pretty similar to my natural way of doing things.

It's been my experience that TKD has kind of evolved into a tournament "martial art" and not much good for anything regarding self-defense. Now mind you I'm not talking about the Martial Art in and of itself but rather how/what it has evolved into in the U.S. and how it's taught by the vast majority of instructors. This being the case it could provide a good base for beginners...It's excellent for kids (both for the base and the discipline/exercise/self-esteem it builds)...Seriously lacking in tight spaces too.

BJJ is probably the best ground fighting system on the earth right now IMHO. There is not too much that scares me but going to the ground with a serious BJJ practioner does.
It is however weak on striking and one has to remember that applying it in a self-defense situation there are going to be differences that you will have to be mindful of...like the fact your attacker will probably not be wearing a gi. ;)

Combining BJJ and Krav (not from a DVD) is the gold standard in easily available self defense instruction IMHO. :plain:

No-one should have any real problem finding instruction in both....I can remember back when no-one knew what Krav was....Now schools seem to be everywhere. :chuckle:

zoo22

I was wondering what are the best self defense fighting systems to defend yourself in a real world situation? Have you had to defend yourself from a would be attacker?

With TSF, I like to do slow motion karate moves on her. I mostly just make them up as I go. Sometimes I do the crane.

If so how did it go?

Not bad. Pretty much she just spins out and falls over herself, so there's not really all that much involved. But doing slow-mo karate makes it better.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I've had no formal training, but I find tackling followed by repeated punching to be pretty effective.

In some circles putting your knees upon his shoulders, assuming you can get in that position, is called the power position.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
You're more of a pill than usual lately. Eat some bran or something.

The best self defense "system" is to do your utmost to avoid situations where you put yourself in harm's way. If push comes to shove, well...

This is an extremely illuminating discussion.

http://www.samharris.org/blog/item/self-defense-and-the-law

That was a great interview.

This part here:
Sam Harris: I completely agree that avoidance is almost the whole story when it comes to self-defense. I also agree that it is very easy to lose sight of this truth, because people don’t really train for avoidance or de-escalation. Rory talks about this a lot in his work. And there is a very unhappy valley between knowing nothing about self-defense and knowing a lot, where the average martial artist is probably more likely to get into a violent altercation than he otherwise would have been. His ego has become bound up in being someone who can handle violence and who doesn’t have to take **** from anyone, and his training has probably given him some unrealistic ideas about his own competence. However, granting that a person can be anywhere from really foolish to impeccable on this front, there is still a subset of cases where violence is simply unavoidable. Hence the importance of this conversation.

One of my son's black belts is in Krav Maga and his favorite long-time instructor's mantra was always that the best defensive weapon was a good pair of running shoes.

PureX

Having lived in some rough areas of Chicago for many years, I will agree 100% with the idea that avoidance is by far our best "defense" against aggression. It's one of the first and most important things I learned when I first moved there, from friends who had already been living there for a while.

Here's some of the things I learned:

1. Trust your gut instincts. If a place or person "feels wrong", even though you don't see any immediate threat, get away. Head towards lights, people, businesses, etc.

2. Walk fast, and with confidence, but keep your eyes AND EARS open in all directions.

3. Keep your attention focussed on your environment, and on the people in it. Don't daydream, and don't walk around with music in your ears.

4. Give blind corners (there are a lot of these in a city) a wide berth.

5. Don't go out partying and then walk at night in the city. And don't go out partying and then take the subway home. Call for a cab.

6. Be polite. The world is full of people just looking for an excuse to explode. Don't give them one.

7. Don't wear, carry, or otherwise display anything of value. Your life is worth far more than your ego.

8. Women, unfortunately, you have something of value by nature, so you have to be extra cautious. That's just the reality of it. I know that you've been trained from birth to "be sexy", but find ways to hide it when you're out on the street. It may well save your life.

9. Guns won't save you. Not on the streets of Chicago, anyway. Every two-bit gang-banger punk in the city is carrying a gun and traveling with buddies who are also carrying guns. The wild west is a nice fantasy. But in real life, you're probably going to be outnumbered and out gunned. Keep the gun at home where it could actually save you in case of a robbery/assault. Especially you women. But know how to use it and how to hit what you're aiming at, or they'll take it from you and use it on you.

And keep it locked up and well hidden when you aren't home. Otherwise they'll just steal it and shoot someone else with it.

10. If you see ANY indication upon returning home that someone may have broken in, DO NOT GO INSIDE. If you are already inside, GET OUT! Leave the scene and call the cops (in that order). They are happy to come and check out your place for you, believe me. They would love nothing more than to catch someone robbing you, than to have to see you after you've been hurt or killed.

I'm sure there's more, but It's been a while, now, since I lived there.

This Charming Manc

Yep our classes were similar...

• run
  • give them a no loss of face way out
  • give them your wallet
  • if all those fail apply complete and unreasonable force
  • then run

That was a great interview.

This part here:
Sam Harris: I completely agree that avoidance is almost the whole story when it comes to self-defense. I also agree that it is very easy to lose sight of this truth, because people don’t really train for avoidance or de-escalation. Rory talks about this a lot in his work. And there is a very unhappy valley between knowing nothing about self-defense and knowing a lot, where the average martial artist is probably more likely to get into a violent altercation than he otherwise would have been. His ego has become bound up in being someone who can handle violence and who doesn’t have to take **** from anyone, and his training has probably given him some unrealistic ideas about his own competence. However, granting that a person can be anywhere from really foolish to impeccable on this front, there is still a subset of cases where violence is simply unavoidable. Hence the importance of this conversation.

One of my son's black belts is in Krav Maga and his favorite long-time instructor's mantra was always that the best defensive weapon was a good pair of running shoes.

zoo22

This is an article about a study on the way people walk and the way assailants assess our motion in choosing victims:

BBC Future: How the way we walk can increase risk of being mugged

It's interesting that you can learn to "walk the walk" that can help keep you from being targeted:

But the most impressive part of Johnston’s investigations came next, when she asked whether it was possible to change the way we walk so as to appear less vulnerable. A first group of volunteers were filmed walking before and after doing a short self defence course. Using the point-light technique, their walking styles were rated by volunteers (not prisoners) for vulnerability. Perhaps surprisingly, the self-defence training didn't affect the walkers’ ratings.

In a second experiment, recruits were given training in how to walk, specifically focusing on the aspects which the researchers knew affected how vulnerable they appeared: factors affecting the synchrony and energy of their movement. This led to a significant drop in all the recruits' vulnerability ratings, which was still in place when they were re-tested a month later.

Worth a read, it's really interesting.

zoo22

I read the actual study and noted that even those classified as "non-victims" because they had higher average scores generally still fell into the range of fairly easy targets on the scale the prisoners were given. Just not as easy as others.

I don't think anyone's going to get confused and believe that the way someone walks will turn away all assailants.

This Charming Manc

General size and appearance helps.

Apart from some instances in SA which were die race and relative wealth, i've always managed to be trouble free in some very bad neighborhoods alone, a lot by presence and minding my own business.

But i'm over 6 foot over 210 lbs, and don't look the gentle sort. If your were 5 foot 2 and 120 lbs i'm sure the same walk wont keep you out of trouble.

This is an article about a study on the way people walk and the way assailants assess our motion in choosing victims:

BBC Future: How the way we walk can increase risk of being mugged

It's interesting that you can learn to "walk the walk" that can help keep you from being targeted:

Worth a read, it's really interesting.

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
General size and appearance helps.

Apart from some instances in SA which were die race and relative wealth, i've always managed to be trouble free in some very bad neighborhoods alone, a lot by presence and minding my own business.

But i'm over 6 foot over 210 lbs, and don't look the gentle sort. If your were 5 foot 2 and 120 lbs i'm sure the same walk wont keep you out of trouble.

That's always (Well, aside from some isolated incidents.) been my blessing. I'm not over 6' (5'11) but I am rather bulky and (Although my wife and grandchildren find the concept very amusing.) I'm told I look "intimidating as hell".
:idunno: