Proof from the Bible that God is In Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

sky.

BANNED
Banned
Just how stupid are you?

If there was a verse wherein God said, "Now I know...," or one wherein He said, "It never entered my mind..," you would still argue that we can't know what He meant or what was in, or on, His mind at the time, wouldn't you?

What are you talking about, dimhouse?

Mix it up enough and you CAN know the mind of God?

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
What are you talking about, dimhouse?

Mix it up enough and you CAN know the mind of God?
You're a moron.

If God specifically states what He is thinking, or that He changed His mind can we then believe Him or would we still be ignorant of the mind of God?

sky.

BANNED
Banned
You're a moron.

If God specifically states what He is thinking, or that He changed His mind can we then believe Him or would we still be ignorant of the mind of God?

Where in the Bible does it say that God specifically states what He is THINKING?

In other words. Where in the Bible does it say that we know THE MIND of God?

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Where in the Bible does it say that God specifically states what He is THINKING?

In other words. Where in the Bible does it say that we know THE MIND of God?
And He said, “Do not lay your hand on the lad, or do anything to him; for now I know that you fear God, since you have not withheld your son, your only son, from Me.”
-Genesis 22:12

Are you going to tell me that we can't know if God knew Abraham feared Him?

sky.

BANNED
Banned
And He said, “Do not lay your hand on the lad, or do anything to him; for now I know that you fear God, since you have not withheld your son, your only son, from Me.”
-Genesis 22:12

Are you going to tell me that we can't know if God knew Abraham feared Him?

I don't know what you are asking. Did God know what Abraham would do? All I know is that Abraham did the right thing.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
I don't know what you are asking. Did God know what Abraham would do? All I know is that Abraham did the right thing.
"...now I know..." indicates a lack of knowledge prior to "now." God was stating, clearly, that He did not know what Abraham would do, or that he feared Him.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
"...now I know..." indicates a lack of knowledge prior to "now." God was stating, clearly, that He did not know what Abraham would do, or that he feared Him.

God would know with some degree of probability based on perfect past/present knowledge, but for the test to be genuine and necessary, God did not know as a certainty before the choice was freely made (element of uncertainty in a non-deterministic universe).

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
God would know with some degree of probability based on perfect past/present knowledge, but for the test to be genuine and necessary, God did not know as a certainty before the choice was freely made (element of uncertainty in a non-deterministic universe).
Translation::blabla:

God made it clear that He did not have perfect present knowledge in several instances, thereby precluding Him from perfect past knowledge. Let it go.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Translation::blabla:

God made it clear that He did not have perfect present knowledge in several instances, thereby precluding Him from perfect past knowledge. Let it go.

I am supporting the gist of what you are saying. Denying God's perfect past and present knowledge makes creatures more knowing than God at times. You are denying omniscience even by Open Theism standards. I will not let it go when you open our great view up to unnecessary attack. You are the one out of step with most Open Theists, not me.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
I am supporting the gist of what you are saying. Denying God's perfect past and present knowledge makes creatures more knowing than God at times. You are denying omniscience even by Open Theism standards. I will not let it go when you open our great view up to unnecessary attack. You are the one out of step with most Open Theists, not me.
Knowing something God doesn't know doesn't make us more knowledgeable than God; He still knows much more than we could ever dream to know.

sky.

BANNED
Banned

Genesis 22:12

------------------------

Really then why did God provide a ram already waiting in that very place to be slain in the place of Isaac?

Genesis 22:13
13 Then Abraham looked up and saw a ram caught by its horns in a bush. So he took the ram and sacrificed it as a burnt offering on the altar in place of his son.

------------------------

rbdeli

Time is one of God's creations. God can be in time when and as he wants to be to communicate with his creation and that's what we read in the bible. But, to suggest that he can only live right along in time with us would mean he is somehow limited by his own creation. In that case, who, then is really the creator? God or Time?

C.S Lewis has a great chapter on this in his book, Mere Christianity.
He explains it beautifully and how it relates to the Trinity: Holy Spirit, Son and Father. Also, happens to coincide beautifully and perfectly with the 2000 + year belief of the Catholic Church. :)

chatmaggot

Hall of Fame
Time is one of God's creations. God can be in time when and as he wants to be to communicate with his creation and that's what we read in the bible. But, to suggest that he can only live right along in time with us would mean he is somehow limited by his own creation. In that case, who, then is really the creator? God or Time?

C.S Lewis has a great chapter on this in his book, Mere Christianity.
He explains it beautifully and how it relates to the Trinity: Holy Spirit, Son and Father. Also, happens to coincide beautifully and perfectly with the 2000 + year belief of the Catholic Church. :)

How long did God exist before He created time?

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Knowing something God doesn't know doesn't make us more knowledgeable than God; He still knows much more than we could ever dream to know.

I get that, but how can you and I read and know this post and God be ignorant of it?! How can God judge if He does not know all of reality? Classical views of omniscience are flawed, but you compromise even an Open Theist understanding. Your view is not biblically, logically defensible.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Genesis 22:12

------------------------

Really then why did God provide a ram already waiting in that very place to be slain in the place of Isaac?

Genesis 22:13
13 Then Abraham looked up and saw a ram caught by its horns in a bush. So he took the ram and sacrificed it as a burnt offering on the altar in place of his son.

------------------------

God was providential and provided for every contingency. He knew with probability, but not certainty. Abe could have totally disobeyed and failed the test. The final result was not in until the test was over. God knows reality as it is and does not see the non-existent future the same way He sees the extant past/present.

sky.

BANNED
Banned
God was providential and provided for every contingency. He knew with probability, but not certainty. Abe could have totally disobeyed and failed the test. The final result was not in until the test was over. God knows reality as it is and does not see the non-existent future the same way He sees the extant past/present.

Really? all talk and no Scripture again?

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Really? all talk and no Scripture again?

You have been given links with Scripture to support the principles. You would also just read your own preconceived ideas into proof texts anyway. Somethings are more philosophical than explicitly biblical (Scripture does not touch on every issue of knowledge possible).

sky.

BANNED
Banned
You have been given links with Scripture to support the principles. You would also just read your own preconceived ideas into proof texts anyway. Somethings are more philosophical than explicitly biblical (Scripture does not touch on every issue of knowledge possible).

Oh, so admit that you add philosophy to your understanding of Biblical text? hmm....as if I didn't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.