Proof from the Bible that God is In Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

sky.

BANNED
Banned
:yawn:

Why can't you just plainly state that your argument is that the 40 days was God's way of telling them they could repent and change their circumstances?

Well now you admit that Jonah was sent to tell them to repent. Fine and good that is part of what the Book of Jonah says.

What it doesn't say is that God didn't know that they would.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Well now you admit that Jonah was sent to tell them to repent.
No I didn't, you moron.

I just know that was your argument.

Now let's put some intelligence toward your argument: They would not need 40 days to repent. If God merely wanted to give them time to repent He would not have made ti 40 days; it would have been much less. So your argument that a chance for repentance was the reason for the 40 days is a failure.

Fine and good that is part of what the Book of Jonah says.
No it isn't.

What it doesn't say is that God didn't know that they would.
It also doesn't say that God knew they would.

sky.

BANNED
Banned
No I didn't, you moron.

I just know that was your argument.

Now let's put some intelligence toward your argument: They would not need 40 days to repent. If God merely wanted to give them time to repent He would not have made ti 40 days; it would have been much less. So your argument that a chance for repentance was the reason for the 40 days is a failure.

Well there you go again. Knowing how many days God should have given them. My you're smarter than God.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Well there you go again. Knowing how many days God should have given them. My you're smarter than God.
I didn't say anything about how many days they should have been given, only how many days they needed; which is evidenced by the fact that they repented less than a week after Jonah made the proclamation.

sky.

BANNED
Banned
I didn't say anything about how many days they should have been given, only how many days they needed; which is evidenced by the fact that they repented less than a week after Jonah made the proclamation.

Really, so was it a week that it took Jonah to go a days journey into the city?

-------------
4 Jonah began by going a day’s journey into the city,

--------------

Nice dodge to what you actually claimed.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Really, so was it a week that it took Jonah to go a days journey into the city?
What?

No!

How completely and utterly stupid are you?!

4 Jonah began by going a day’s journey into the city,

Nice dodge to what you actually claimed.
You're an idiot.

I said that it was less than a week after Jonah made the proclamation that the Ninevites repented.

Are you illiterate? I mean, you've already made it obvious you can't read the Bible, but now we know you can't read posts here on TOL.

sky.

BANNED
Banned
What?

No!

How completely and utterly stupid are you?!

You're an idiot.

I said that it was less than a week after Jonah made the proclamation that the Ninevites repented.

Are you illiterate? I mean, you've already made it obvious you can't read the Bible, but now we know you can't read posts here on TOL.

And so what God gave Jonah a message to tell them that they had 40 days. Does that change the message? does it change the FACT that within the entire book of Jonah. It NEVER says that God didn't know?

You're the idiot. Trying to prove that God didn't know something with a book of the Bible that never even touches that idea.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
And so what God gave Jonah a message to tell them that they had 40 days. Does that change the message?
Seeing as the message was that God was going to destroy Nineveh in 40 days it not only doesn't change the message, it's integral to the message.

You're dumb.

does it change the FACT that within the entire book of Jonah. It NEVER says that God didn't know?
Does it change the fact that it never says God did know?

You're the idiot. Trying to prove that God didn't know something with a book of the Bible that never even touches that idea.
The fact that God gave them the message and didn't make it conditional, implies that He didn't know they would repent. And the fact that it tells us God changed His mind [repented/nacham] when they repented further cements that He didn't know they would, else He would not have changed His mind regarding their destruction. If He knew they would repent then there would be no changing of His mind, for you cannot change from something to the exact same thing.

Shasta

Is it blissful being you?[/QUOTE

Blissful being me? You have no idea how far off you are about that.

You believe these things because you've been told they were true when the theories have never been proven. Time has never been sped up or slowed down.

We have all been told something by someone. That is neither here nor there.

I should have been more clear. I meant that the duration of each "event" in the sequence of events is not the same but varies according to such things as speed and gravity.

They have only theorized that it would under certain conditions, but those conditions are not ones we can ever meet in order to test them.

Originally Einstein's theory was pure mathematics.

Avoiding thoughts is contrary to our God-given natural desire explore and understand the world which began by observing and classifying all creatures. Your idea is warmed over Logical Positivism.

Let me ask you a question - if reliable measurements COULD be made that showed that time-space-matter are inseparable would that make any difference at all to your beliefs?

I think you need a new brain.

You are right I do need one, not like you think though. Still I can't help wondering why you made this statement

Nowhere in this verse can you get the idea that time is a thing; it's not even tangible. You can't see it, touch/feel it, taste it, hear it or smell it. There is nothing tactile about time. It's an idea, and nothing more, to explain experience.

Well the same might be asked of you. "Speed" is not something tangible that can be felt and touched nor nor is it absolute. It is a concept representing something else. It is the same with numbers.

Shasta

The imperfect 'was' does convey duration. The reality is that the Word was not always flesh, but became flesh. There is no reason to think that God is timeless, whatever that means for a personal being.

It does not show interactions but a state of being. Duration applies to an ongoing state of being which is both active and unchanging - this is the state we are discribing. The idea of inter-Trinitarian transaction imports concept of time and sequence not actually in the verse

How can we say that any present moment could last for any length of time in such a way as to differentiate it from all others the concept of time has no coherence. A universe could not operate in such a temporal model. If you think time could exist that way then please explain

If God could alter His own perception of time, slowing down the movie as much as He wants It would I suppose give Him endless moment to figure out the next move in the chess board of time using His skillful omni-competant counter-strategies.

I noticed that you have still not resolved Zeno's paradox. If God's past were everlasting it would never have ended and He would never have a present in which to create the universe. The paradox does not apply to "imaginary" events but to actual ones like a series of Trinitarian interactions.

It is a logical problem to discriminate between rationality and nonsense and like Lewis said even God cannot do nonsense.

Shasta

It does not show interactions but a state of being. Duration applies to an ongoing state of being The idea of "time as a series of inter-Trinitarian" transaction imports concept of time from your view. Sequences not in the verse

Time is about duration How else could we differentiate can we say any present moment from any other. The duration of ever sequential even might be all different which would make it incoherent. If God could alter His own perception of time, (which you have not yet excluded as a possibility) slowing down the movie as much as He wants It would I suppose give Him endless durations of time to figure out the next move in the chess board of time using His skillful omni-competant counter-strategies.

I noticed that you have still not resolved Zeno's paradox. If God's past were everlasting it would never have ended and He would never have a present in which to create the universe. The paradox does not apply to "imaginary" events but to actual ones like a series of Trinitarian interactions.

It is a logical problem to discriminate between rationality and nonsense and like Lewis said even God cannot do nonsense.

sky.

BANNED
Banned
Seeing as the message was that God was going to destroy Nineveh in 40 days it not only doesn't change the message, it's integral to the message.

You're dumb.

Does it change the fact that it never says God did know?

No, the Book of Jonah doesn't tell us the mind of God, period.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Blissful being me? You have no idea how far off you are about that.
And you clearly have no idea what I meant.

We have all been told something by someone. That is neither here nor there.
:doh:

I should have been more clear. I meant that the duration of each "event" in the sequence of events is not the same but varies according to such things as speed and gravity.
No they don't.

Originally Einstein's theory was pure mathematics.
So what?

Avoiding thoughts is contrary to our God-given natural desire explore and understand the world which began by observing and classifying all creatures.
Avoiding logic is contradictory to the Logos.

Your idea is warmed over Logical Positivism.
Then prove your position.

Let me ask you a question - if reliable measurements COULD be made that showed that time-space-matter are inseparable would that make any difference at all to your beliefs?
Yes.

You are right I do need one, not like you think though. Still I can't help wondering why you made this statement
Because you're a moron.

Well the same might be asked of you. "Speed" is not something tangible that can be felt and touched nor nor is it absolute. It is a concept representing something else. It is the same with numbers.
Yet each can be measured. For instance, I have two eyes.

No, the Book of Jonah doesn't tell us the mind of God, period.
Idiot.

sky.

BANNED
Banned

Look, dimhouse. You can call me an "idiot" all you want. All I am looking for is respect for God in the totality of His attributes.

You want to say that "you KNOW God changed His mind" well good for you. I will never go so far as to say that I know the mind of God in the first place.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Look, dimhouse. You can call me an "idiot" all you want. All I am looking for is respect for God in the totality of His attributes.

You want to say that "you KNOW God changed His mind" well good for you. I will never go so far as to say that I know the mind of God in the first place.
I know He changed His mind because the Bible tells us He did. Maybe if you learned to read...

sky.

BANNED
Banned
I know He changed His mind because the Bible tells us He did. Maybe if you learned to read...

Only a fool would say that they KNOW the mind of God. Sorry about your luck.

When you meet God some day I dare you tell Him that YOU KNEW His mind.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Only a fool would say that they KNOW the mind of God. Sorry about your luck.

When you meet God some day I dare you tell Him that YOU KNEW His mind.
For “who has known the mind of the Lord that he may instruct Him?” But we have the mind of Christ.
-1 Corinthians 2:16

sky.

BANNED
Banned
For “who has known the mind of the Lord that he may instruct Him?” But we have the mind of Christ.
-1 Corinthians 2:16

1 Corinthians 2:16

For “who has known the mind of the Lord that he may instruct Him?” But we have the mind of Christ

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
1 Corinthians 2:16

For “who has known the mind of the Lord that he may instruct Him?” But we have the mind of Christ
Just how stupid are you?

If there was a verse wherein God said, "Now I know...," or one wherein He said, "It never entered my mind..," you would still argue that we can't know what He meant or what was in, or on, His mind at the time, wouldn't you?

Status
Not open for further replies.