ECT Our triune God

Arsenios

The express image OF a hypostasis is NOT another hypostasis.

Well, the stamped impress of a cookie cutter is another cookie...

The Hypostasis of the Father being the mold exactly shaping the Son...

The express image is the impressing of God's singular hypostasis upon His literal Logos to proceed forth from uncreated phenomenon into created phenomena as the eternal Son.

This would seem to make the Son into God's Means of creation... Which itself would degrade the Son in terms of the Son being God... And then what do you do with Genesis saying: "Let US make man in OUR image..." Is this a multi-phenomenal conversation?

The re-presentation of God's uncreated Self-Noumenal Self-Phenomenal hypostasis in created phenomena of heaven and, by pre-Incarnate Theophanies and then Incarnation, the cosmos.

IF it is indeed a re-presentation, I do not see how you can escape modalism by calling it multi-phenomenal...

Maddening, I tell ya. Stop somewhere and get some 3D glasses, Bro. Yer killin' me here.

I love you too, my Brother...

Arsenios

Arsenios

However he was not omniscient before he incarnated either.

Then He is NOT God...

But you see, He IS God...

AND...

He IS man...

Indivisibly divided in one Person...

The resolution is in Him keeping His human nature separated from
[while still hypostatically united to]
His Divine Nature [Kenosis]
during the incarnation.

Speaking as man, He is not omniscient...

There are other times He speaks as God...

And IS...

Christ, you see, could suffer change without changing...

He is, after all, God...

Who being the Creator of Change...
Does not Himself change...
While creating Change...

You kinda have to get over it...

We did so by use of this term...

Mysterion...

Arsenios

Reactions: Lon

PneumaPsucheSoma

TOL Subscriber
Well, the stamped impress of a cookie cutter is another cookie...

But character (express image) is not a cookie cutter and cookies. It's the tool and its exact impress as a carving, engraving, or stamping. Not the object being impressed.

It's the royal signet ring and its stamp in the wax to seal the parchment. It's NOT the parchment. The parchment is the means of conveying the royal decree. The stamped impression in the wax seals that with the impress. The King is not the parchment, but He exactly impresses Himself in the seal on the parchment and all it says as His Word.

You're not even equating cookie cutter to cookie cutter or cookie to cookie. A cookie cutter is not a cookie, and a cookie is not a cookie cutter. So the express image can't be an exact impress as cookie cutter and cookie. And that would require a verb anyway, cutting a cookie. Since when are cookies the same as cookie cutters? God isn't even a cookie with the Son being another alleged cookie.

FAIL!!!! Nearly two MILLENNIA of fail. Sigh.

The Hypostasis of the Father being the mold exactly shaping the Son...

No. Character is not a mold to subordinate the Son as some internal created clone of Himself. It's the tool and its exact impress, and not the stone or wood or parchment or scroll receiving the imprint.

A cowboy branding a cow doesn't make the cow another hypostasis as the same ousia. The branded stamp is the exact impress re-presenting the wealth of the cowboy. The wealth (ousia) of his personal substance as existence. The cow is not the stamp.

Better yet, a jeweler's engraving is not the ring or necklace. The inscription is the character.

This would seem to make the Son into God's Means of creation...

No, that would be the Classical Trinity problem. It is God's literal Self-Phenomenal Logos by which He creates.

Which itself would degrade the Son in terms of the Son being God...

This is what your Classic Trinity does, yes. Not me.

then what do you do with Genesis saying: "Let US make man in OUR image..." Is this a multi-phenomenal conversation?

First of all, it's a grammatical construct that doesn't translate well or literally into English.

Second, God the Father and the eternal Son are both functioning within the same phenomenality post-creation, as is the Holy Spirit.

IF it is indeed a re-presentation, I do not see how you can escape modalism by calling it multi-phenomenal...

Yes, I know you don't. You still only see one side of the Rubik's Cube, just like the Modalists... and Binitarians, Semi-Sabellians, Semi-Arians, Arians, Pneumatomachians, and many others.

The Son has a distinct prosopon from the Father's transcendent prosopon. The Son's prosopon verifies the re-presentation of God's singular hypostasis from uncreated phenomenon into creation.

The Father and Son are not each other, nor the Holy Spirit. And they're eternally concurrent. Not one hint of Modalism whatsoever.

I love you too, my Brother...

Arsenios

I'm'onna findya summa dem 3D glasses, mkay?

Last edited:

Soror1

...You suppose that we cannot grasp the distinctness of creation from creator, but you are ignoring the matter of vectoring, wherein of course creation cannot be distinct from its Creator, but the Creator is distinct from that which he created...

The Mr. Ford is distinct from his Edsel, but the Edsel is saturated in its being with Mr. Ford... That is why the Edsel is a Ford car... Ford knows his Edsel, but the Edsel cannot know Ford... The very ability to know is directional... We cannot know God except by and through God, and this is Grace that only God can give, because only God HAS it to give, and which cannot be earned or merited, yet which God is eager to give, in His wanton Love for mankind, whom He created in His Own Image and Likeness...

The Ford Edsel analogy is good because you are describing external relations which is exactly the relation God has to creation. To make it better, we need to use living substances/substances which generate.

And this gentleman--who writes on an Aristotelian primary/secondary substance reading of the Cappadocian ousia/hypostases--explains it as follows--

First some background on the difference:

...we must look at the difference between internal and external relations.

Internal relations are similar to essential properties: If x would no longer be x were a property, P, removed from x, then P is an essential property of x. Internal relations take on this same character. They are relations that are essential to the identity of a thing. For example, if it is essential to the identity of the state of Maine to be north of Boston, then the relation of Maine to Boston is an internal relation for Maine. Yet, not all things north of Boston are defined by their geographic position. A car driving from Maine to Grand Rapids is presumably not defined by its geographical position. Therefore,
being north of Boston is an external relation for the car.​

Now, applying it to generating things:

Let us begin with a paternal example of an internal relation: Jill is John’s daughter. Presumably, Jill’s daughterhood is a personal property that examples an internal relation—Jill’s identity is wrapped up in her relation to John. Yet, John’s paternity of Jill is not an internal relation for John. John may not have married Joan, and John and Joan may not have bore Jill. Therefore, John’s paternity of Jill is an external relation for John.​

So, creation is an external relation for God (He would continue to be just as He is in Himself regardless if He created) but God is an internal relation for creation--its identity and being all wrapped up in its relation to God.

This reading of the Fathers which I believe to be substantially correct also explains the Hypostatic Union and why the Word doesn't change when "made flesh" for it only has its being and identity as a result of the Word of God--God the Son. That's not to say that all the Fathers were Aristotelian (Jacobs doesn't say that either), but that in using Aristotle's metaphysical concepts we can draw out what they were articulating as perfectly consistent and descriptive of the relationship between God and creation, the Father and the Son, the Word and flesh, etc.

And if that isn't Divine providence in the protection of His church, I don't know what is...

God is all about relation...ships! Ontologically and economically so.

Last edited:

Soror1

What you've said here is that there is no requirement for uncreated phenomenon to be distinct from created phenomenon.

No, I haven't at all. God is the initial and sustaining cause of creation at every second. That's one way how He is present to it. He is in continual causation of it. A distinction: the deistic god caused creation and "walked away" (LOL) letting things unfold from there. The theistic God is in constant contact by upholding everything there is at all times by His power--causing to be in the present everything there currently is.

This means you don't understand the difference and presume multi-phenomenality to be something other than what it is.

I do--you are placing great emphasis on the difference between eternal-ity, everlasting, and Edenic/fallen creation (not the words you'd use) and I get it--I really do. Everlasting is still creation and time-"bound" and not-God. He is not "living" in everlasting as if He gave up His attribute of eternal-ity and subject Himself to space or time. This is the default position of Open Theists because they cannot conceive of a way God can be active and present to and communicating with His creation without being subject to it. And there are way too many arguments against Open Theism out there to discuss them here but they apply.

PneumaPsucheSoma

TOL Subscriber
You remind me of that game on the price is right.

You can flip or you can flop or you can flip-flop. :chuckle:

Rigorously and consistently representing both lexicography and dictionary definitions is not flip-flopping.

You constantly jacking up basic grammar is beyond flip-flopping.

Have you recently had a stroke or something? You've been drifting way wide in every corner for the last few months.

(I was headed through Missouri a month or so ago, and thought about trying to meet up; but I thought you might tase me, Bro.)

Soror1

Think more androgenous. No drawl at all.:dizzy:

Love the smilie. Never noticed it. Plan to use it. :dizzy:

I'm not referring to a salvific threshold relative to theological knowledge. I'm referring to the results of faulty theology in hearts and minds and lives.

In our cushy Western world, we have the advantage of thinking these things out and through and via metaphysical analysis. Most of the Christian world is not the cushy Western world, though, and even in the Western world most people don't have the resources or background or inclination to think these things through and yet they still are led by the Holy Spirit and are Christ's own.

And incompleteness or error CAN be salvific. There IS a salvific threshold somehow related to whatever is believed.

Jesus is God and was raised from the dead as in Romans 10:9-10 (to which the NET has a translation note, "Or “the Lord.” The Greek construction, along with the quotation from Joel 2:32 in v. 13 (in which the same “Lord” seems to be in view) suggests that κύριον (kurion) is to be taken as “the Lord,” that is, Yahweh. Cf. D. B. Wallace, “The Semantics and Exegetical Significance of the Object-Complement Construction in the New Testament,” GTJ 6 (1985): 91-112."

I'm surprised you haven't encountered this epidemic pervasive unaddressed presumption. It's mostly just never a subject.

Really, only in Open Theists--and I don't consider them the majority at all. They're fringe.

Musterion is being behind the veil. Mystery revealed. I agree it's a great revealed mystery. I cannot agree that it isn't revealed. God, by His Logos, didn't stutter when He spoke forth the Logos as Ho Huios, the eternal uncreated Son.

I agree that few have ever understood the ontological Gospel, Anthropology Proper, and Theology Proper. And that's partly because the Classic Trinity doctrine has gotten in the way as mandatory indoctrination, including among Protestants.

It may be revealed but that doesn't mean we have a solid grasp of exactly how if Paul didn't.

Mastery and mystery are a false dichotomy. What if there is more revealed in exegesis and lexicography than has been historically presented? What if EVERYBODY missed something? One thing. And yet all presumed to have included it.

Accounting for multi-phenomenality with a uni-phenomenal filter is fallacious. It's the most difficult obstacle to recognizing (re-cognizing) the depth, breadth, and height of Theology Proper and dispelling false and prematurely-declared "mystery".

Well no orthodox Trinitarian has missed it but if we knew exactly how two are one then we've solved the Problem of Universals or the One Over Many (which, btw, I think Trinitarianism has done to an extent) and it wouldn't be a live issue today (inside or outside Theology), 2400 years from when the problem was first articulated.

Nor would anyone, really. I love the Easterns, though.

Most especially our dear Arsenios!

Meh. But I'm not fond of the Latinisms.
Just a lack of familiarity and/or usage. But the concepts can be mapped. I meant more though that Catholic thought is much more open to thinking from those outside their tradition. For instance, Karl Barth--Protestant Reformed Swiss--is fairly considered to have resurrected Trinitarian theologizing from the ash heap of the "Enlightenment" and Catholics read his work, even working with it in their own tradition. Pope Pius XII called Barth "the greatest theologian since Thomas Aquinas"--that's the kind of open-mindedness I mean.

(And when Barth heard that he replied "This proves the infallibility of the Pope." :D)

Right. But STILL not according to uni-phenomenality, which is all that has been historically presented.

Then, PPS, you are simply not understanding what I'm saying. So ask away so as I can clarify.

That's oida. Intuitive knowledge. Access, which was abrogated and resigned to internal functionality by Edenic spiritual death. And then Augustine jacked up any real understanding of it, inisisting man is conceived in sin.

It's more than intuitive knowledge. It's to the degree that He is "clearly seen and understood" in the things that have been made. So much so that those who don't acknowledge that "suppress the truth" and are without excuse.

That knowledge doesn't bring you to a knowledge of the Christian God--Father, Son, and Holy Spirit--which is revelation but it brings you to a knowledge of some of the listed attributes (which the Greeks reached--some more, some less).

We'll have to. So far, it's only snorkeling in uni-phenomenality.

Your "everlasting" is, as I understand it sempiternity and this is defined as "existence within time but infinitely into the future." Time is creation. So why don't you explain how you don't have a time-bound God if He's in time and CT--with and without sempiternity--does.

Well... sorta, but not really. Realism is a philosophical system of epistemology for created consciousness and perception.

No, they're related (epistemology is always somewhat related) but I mean it as in a mind-independent reality. As in books, apples, etc. They're real and objective apart from what anyone thinks about them or whether anyone is thinking about them at all (understanding they exist only because God exists.) (More here, but in essence we agree.)

I'm not an indirect realist, and this has nothing to do with realism.

We'll see! :)

A uni-phenomenal assertion.

Not with "center of action". God's Word and God's Spirit do things and are effective in all that they do.

Almost impossible, as I see it. The scabbard and sword are homogenous. (And should dispel any notion that I'm an indirect realist, yes?)

We can isolate and expand later. We should be able to consider the Word and the Spirit distinctly (or there's no reason to call them that and we and Scripture would just say "God".) (And not necessarily--but not by necessity, either. :dizzy: )

A nice personal sit-down would be productive, efficient, and expeditious. This format is very limited and becomes tedious.

I very much agree... but no one has the benefit of being present to everyone at all times which is why we must write!

I don't know if you have anything formally written, PPS, but if not, you should--methodologically and systematically.

Who knows, maybe (even posthumously), Pope Pius LXXXVIII will say, "PPS, the greatest theologian since Karl Barth."

:)

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
In regard to omniscience, why did you run and hide from this verse:

"But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only" (Mt.24:36).​

The Father knew something which the Son did not know. So if you would actually use your brain for a change you would know that the Lord Jesus did not possess the quality of "omniscience" while He walked the earth.

The incarnation did not result in a single theanthropic nature, wherein the divine and the human natures are blended together in such a way that the divine is not really divine and the human is not really human.

Each nature retained its own attributes, meaning that in the incarnation, the attributes of deity remained in the divine nature, and the attributes of humanity remained in the human nature.

Accordingly, when Jesus said He did not know the day and the hour of His coming, Jesus Christ, the Person, was speaking with regards to His humanity.

...in eternity He was always Man and He was always God.
No. How is a man born in heaven, Jerry? This is the stuff of Mormonism. The mystical union of the divine and human natures did not exist prior to the birth of Jesus—the Word, the eternal Son of God became flesh.

Became does not mean that the Son of God ceased to be God. In becoming man, He did not forsake His divine nature. It means that He became man by taking on human nature in addition to His divine nature. It is essential to the incarnation—and very helpful throughout all theology—to recognize that divinity and humanity are not mutually exclusive. The Son of God didn’t have to choose between being God and being man. He could be both at the same time.

But you say that He originally had only one nature and then at some point He acquired another nature.
Jesus Christ is a divine person (not a human person) with divine and human natures. We must never say Jesus Christ is a divine person and a human person. There is but one person, the Second Person of the Trinity. When God the Son, the Second Person of the Trinity, assumed a human nature, God the Son, who is personal already as the eternal Son, took upon Himself the impersonal nature of a human being. This human nature was not a separately existing person, for this would mean two persons existed in the incarnation. The humanity taken up into the Second Person of the Trinity is not a personal man but human nature without personal subsistence. The personhood of the human nature is in the personhood of the eternal Second Person of the Trinity. In other words, although the humanity assumed is not itself an individual, it is individualized as the human nature of the Son of God.

In doing so the God the Son assumed the human nature (which encompasses its assumption). That does not mean God the Son absorbed the human nature into His divine nature. The divine nature did not change, but rather assumed (took up) the flesh of the human nature.

AMR

Jerry Shugart

I said:

And here is your response:

No. How is a man born in heaven, Jerry?

Are you really this dense?

Since the Lord Jesus was ALWAYS Man and He was also God thus He had no beginning; therefore, He was ALWAYS Man and His existence as man did not begin when He was born of Mary.

When God the Son, the Second Person of the Trinity, assumed a human nature, God the Son, who is personal already as the eternal Son, took upon Himself the impersonal nature of a human being.

You always revert back to your foolishness. You assert that the Lord Jesus originally had only one nature and then He assumed a Human nature. But that means that He underwent a radical change. But that idea is contradicted by the Scriptures:

"Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever" (Heb.13:8).​

"And, Thou, Lord, in the beginning hast laid the foundation of the earth; and the heavens are the works of thine hands: They shall perish; but thou remainest; and they all shall wax old as doth a garment; And as a vesture shalt thou fold them up, and they shall be changed: but thou art the same, and thy years shall not fail" (Heb.1:10-12).​

You refuse to believe both of those verses because of your preconceived idea that a flesh and blood body is essential to being a human. And you refuse to the believe the Lord Jesus' words that He was Man even before He came down to earth and was born of Mary:

"What and if ye shall see the Son of man ascend up where he was before?" (Jn.6:62).​

The Lord Jesus was in heaven as Man before He descended and was born of Mary.

Arsenios

I said:

"What and if ye shall see the Son of man ascend up where he was before?" (Jn.6:62).​

Oh He was in heaven before He became man, no question...

But you are re-writing the Bible to add here: "AS MAN..."

The text does not say He was in heaven from eternity as Man...

You cannot re-write what you have not authored, Jer'...

He came down God,
and
He became man born of Mariam...
and
He Ascended as both God AND Man

One Person did this...
The Pre-Incarnate Logos of God did this...

You don't get to re-write the Bible, Jer'...

Arsenios

Jerry Shugart

Oh He was in heaven before He became man, no question...

But you are re-writing the Bible to add here: "AS MAN..."

The text does not say He was in heaven from eternity as Man...[/quote]

He is now a Man and the Scriptures say that He does not change. that means that He has always been Man.

You cannot re-write what you have not authored, Jer'...

He came down God

You are the one who refuses to believe that He came down as Man, as witnessed by His own words here:

Those are the Lord's words while He was on the earth and He says that before He came down to earth He was in heaven as Man.

Your problem is the fact that you continue to think that a flesh and blood body is essential to being human. You put your preconceived ideas over what the Scriptures say.

The Christians who have passed away and their natural bodies are in the grave remain human despite the fact that they have no flesh and blood body now.

This proves that a flesh and blood body is not essential to being a human.

Arsenios

You are the one who refuses to believe that He came down as Man, as witnessed by His own words here:

NO "AS MAN" HERE

There you have it - The words AS MAN are NOT in your Bible quote...

YOU have RE-WRITTEN the Bible!!

It does not say He DESCENDED as man...

Those are the Lord's words while He was on the earth and He says that before He came down to earth He was in heaven as Man.

There, you added them again...

Very consistent of you...

But you do not get to add these words to the Bible, Jer'...

It does not say He came down AS MAN...

It only says He came down...

I know that seems hurtful and unfeeling on my part...

And I know that your feelings are fragile...

But you do not get to re-write the Bible...

Would a spanking help you?

Or maybe a nice ice cream cone?

How about your very own "I AM GOD" T-Shirt?

But you really MUST, dear Jer'...

You MUST STOP RE-WRITING the Bible...

Bad things will happen...

Not good for you...

Really...

A.

Jerry Shugart

There you have it - The words AS MAN are NOT in your Bible quote...

YOU have RE-WRITTEN the Bible!!

It does not say He DESCENDED as man...

He was in heaven as "Son of Man" before He descended to earth:

And here it says that the Lord Jesus descended from heaven as "Son of Man.

"And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven" (Jn.3:13).​
"

It does not say He came down AS MAN...

It only says He came down...

Do you deny that He came down as Son of Man with John 3:13 in view?

And I never expected that you would even attempt to address what I said here:

Your problem is the fact that you continue to think that a flesh and blood body is essential to being human. You put your preconceived ideas over what the Scriptures say.

The Christians who have passed away and their natural bodies are in the grave remain human despite the fact that they have no flesh and blood body now.

This proves that a flesh and blood body is not essential to being a human.

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I said:

From your past posts you always struck me as a confused brother. But these posts of yours of late, declaring the Lord Jesus to have existed as a man from the beginning, have taken a turn such that no Christian worthy of the label can count you as a brother in the Lord.

Repent Jerry and show yourself willing to be corrected versus this strident and entrenched error you have embraced. We are here to help you understand the wonderful mystery of the incarnation of the Lord, but you will have to drop the strident and vitriolic tone and be willing to learn.

I have asked and asked if you have spoken with your Pastor about these views of yours. You do not answer. Why? Are you actually a member of a visible vestige of our Lord's bride? If so, what is the denomination of your church or independent assembly? I can understand how those that refuse to assemble with others under the authority of its ordained leaders can be caught up in all manner of error. But there is no one who has covenanted their membership with a local church that its leaders would permit the spread these false teachings as you have done.

AMR

Jerry Shugart

Repent Jerry and show yourself willing to be corrected versus this strident and entrenched error you have embraced.

You are the one who refuses to believe the Scriptures and therefore you remain totally confused. You said earlier:

When God the Son, the Second Person of the Trinity, assumed a human nature, God the Son, who is personal already as the eternal Son, took upon Himself the impersonal nature of a human being.

You always revert back to your foolishness. You assert that the Lord Jesus originally had only one nature and then He assumed a Human nature. But that means that He underwent a radical change. But that idea is contradicted by the Scriptures:

"Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever" (Heb.13:8).​

"And, Thou, Lord, in the beginning hast laid the foundation of the earth; and the heavens are the works of thine hands: They shall perish; but thou remainest; and they all shall wax old as doth a garment; And as a vesture shalt thou fold them up, and they shall be changed: but thou art the same, and thy years shall not fail" (Heb.1:10-12).​

You refuse to believe both of those verses because of your preconceived idea that a flesh and blood body is essential to being a human. And you refuse to the believe the Lord Jesus' words that He was Man even before He came down to earth and was born of Mary:

Last edited:

PneumaPsucheSoma

TOL Subscriber
No, I haven't at all.

Since you've insisted multi-phenomenality is not necessary for all I've outlined, there's really no way we can be referring to the same thing. I think you're equating prosopon with phenomenon in some manner.

God is the initial and sustaining cause of creation at every second.

Of course. Yes.

That's one way how He is present to it.

Well... That's really not much of a "how". What goes unrealized is how much we can know of the "how" when the "what" of the formulaic is correct... which is multi-phenomenality (that you're somehow understanding as something other than what it is).

He is in continual causation of it.

Absolutely. "...upholding (present active participle) all things by the rhema of His dunamis...".

A distinction: the deistic god caused creation and "walked away" (LOL) letting things unfold from there.

Deism is absurd.

The theistic God is in constant contact by upholding everything there is at all times by His power--causing to be in the present everything there currently is.

Indeed.

In some sense, yes; but not really, as evidenced by your following perceptions.

you are placing great emphasis on the difference between eternal-ity, everlasting, and Edenic/fallen creation (not the words you'd use) and I get it--I really do.

You get the basic fact of there being a distinction between eternal, everlasting, and temporal. Not the significance of what I'm saying. You still have a linear mentality that is uni-phenomenal. It's nearly impossible to see what I'm representing, especially when presuming one does by various caricatures.

Everlasting is still creation and time-"bound" and not-God.

That's part of my point.

He is not "living" in everlasting as if He gave up His attribute of eternal-ity and subject Himself to space or time.

Of course not. That would be uni-phenomenality.

This is the default position of Open Theists because they cannot conceive of a way God can be active and present to and communicating with His creation without being subject to it. And there are way too many arguments against Open Theism out there to discuss them here but they apply.

Open Theism is a blight on the Faith, paralleled only by Dispensational Futurism, Universal Atonement, Hegelian Kenoticism, and the modern dilutions of the Trinity doctrine into "three guys" as multiple beings.

Love the smilie. Never noticed it. Plan to use it. :dizzy:

It's... Dizzifying. :dizzy:

In our cushy Western world, we have the advantage of thinking these things out and through and via metaphysical analysis. Most of the Christian world is not the cushy Western world, though, and even in the Western world most people don't have the resources or background or inclination to think these things through and yet they still are led by the Holy Spirit and are Christ's own.

I'd hope everyone could agree that salvation is a matter of the heart, and would make neither a blanket statement of inclusion or exclusion.

A simple faith is lack rather than error. It's error with adamance that is dangerous. But over-simplification is as fallacious as tedium of doctrine.

It certainly isn't a relativistic free-for-all. And even if it varies by hearts and divine revelation, there is a salvific threshold.

Jesus is God and was raised from the dead as in Romans 10:9-10 (to which the NET has a translation note, "Or “the Lord.” The Greek construction, along with the quotation from Joel 2:32 in v. 13 (in which the same “Lord” seems to be in view) suggests that κύριον (kurion) is to be taken as “the Lord,” that is, Yahweh. Cf. D. B. Wallace, “The Semantics and Exegetical Significance of the Object-Complement Construction in the New Testament,” GTJ 6 (1985): 91-112."

So all Unitarians are out? What about Arians and their created deity of the Son? Pneumatomachians? Adoptionists? Ebionists?

Where are the lines? Even "deity of Christ" can mean multiple things.

LDS? JW? Where do such stand in light of "simplicity"?

Really, only in Open Theists--

What I'm referring to is a common majority-held perception amongst most I've encountered, even if they ultimately agree heaven is created. I'm talking about pew-dwellers, not theologians and metaphysical (argh) analysts. Everyday folks who don't give much thought to studying. The average nominal professing Christian.

and I don't consider them the majority at all. They're fringe.

Agreed, though "fringe" needs a very pejorative descriptor added. It (Open Theism) impugns the sovereignty of God.

It may be revealed but that doesn't mean we have a solid grasp of exactly how if Paul didn't.

But Paul DID know. He knew what musterion meant, which is why he used it as one behind the veil. His reference to husband/wife and Christ/Church is the hint that he knows.

I know the mystery. All Believers should. It's the ontological Gospel of our hypostatic translation into Christ. Putting on Christ is literal, not figurative.

Well no orthodox Trinitarian has missed it but if we knew exactly how two are one then we've solved the Problem of Universals or the One Over Many (which, btw, I think Trinitarianism has done to an extent)

No. It's ALL uni-phenomenality.

and it wouldn't be a live issue today (inside or outside Theology), 2400 years from when the problem was first articulated.

It could and should have never been an issue.

Most especially our dear Arsenios!

I know my tone may not seem so to others at times, but I cherish him as a dear friend and Brother.

Just a lack of familiarity and/or usage. But the concepts can be mapped. I meant more though that Catholic thought is much more open to thinking from those outside their tradition. For instance, Karl Barth--Protestant Reformed Swiss--

Yes, I know Barth all too well. I have his Church Dogmatics set. All 10 million words of endless dialectic. Necessary to combat Liberalism in Germany at the time, but ultimately a horrific treatment overall. I should have mentioned Barth with Aquinas and Augustine. (So let me toss in Origen while I'm thinking of it.) Barth's theology is an exponent OF Liberalism, and worthy of a secular label in many regards.

is fairly considered to have resurrected Trinitarian theologizing from the ash heap of the "Enlightenment"

But not recapturing original Orthodoxy OR portraying Liberalism, nor attaining neo-Orthodoxy equivalent to pre-modern post-reformation theology.

Were it not for his role in stemming the tsunami of Liberalism, his dialectic would be wholly eschewed as non-didactic. Barth's views are at the foundation of every fallacious hybridized and syncretized movement of non-denominationalism's shallow dilution of all things Christian. No thanks.

and Catholics read his work, even working with it in their own tradition. Pope Pius XII called Barth "the greatest theologian since Thomas Aquinas"--that's the kind of open-mindedness I mean.

And the Latins (not the laity on an individual basis as Believers) have been apostate since at least the institution of Vatican II, with far-reaching past corruption relative to global Eschaton initiatives. Francis is the first Black Pope and White Pope as one man.

(And when Barth heard that he replied "This proves the infallibility of the Pope." :D)

Sigh. Of course he did. Secret handshakes and all that.

Then, PPS, you are simply not understanding what I'm saying. So ask away so as I can clarify.

Doubtful, but...

How would you interpret my references to multi-phenomenality and uni-phenomenality? Define them, if you would please, ma'am.

It's more than intuitive knowledge. It's to the degree that He is "clearly seen and understood" in the things that have been made. So much so that those who don't acknowledge that "suppress the truth" and are without excuse.

Well... okay. But we can only spiritually "know" (oida) by intuiting, which is the primary focus of the human nous by divine design.

That knowledge doesn't bring you to a knowledge of the Christian God--Father, Son, and Holy Spirit--which is revelation but it brings you to a knowledge of some of the listed attributes (which the Greeks reached--some more, some less).

I'm tracking. Agreed.

Your "everlasting" is, as I understand it sempiternity and this is defined as "existence within time but infinitely into the future." Time is creation. So why don't you explain how you don't have a time-bound God if He's in time and CT--with and without sempiternity--does.

Classical Theism declares it, not explains it; and is uni-phenomenal in doing so.

I'll have to spend some time doing this, including apophatically ridding your preconceptions from the mix. I guess that will have to be the next tedious focus.

No, they're related (epistemology is always somewhat related)

Naturally so. I just meant epistemology wasn't my focus. Perhaps that would be a good emphasis for me to consider for packaging what I'm saying, even if it's mostly apophatic for elimination as "nots".

but I mean it as in a mind-independent reality. As in books, apples, etc. They're real and objective apart from what anyone thinks about them or whether anyone is thinking about them at all (understanding they exist only because God exists.) (More here, but in essence we agree.)

What I'm trying to crack open for you (at least as pertains to God and His Logos) is that the scabbard and the sword are one. This is what I mean by Rhema being bookends for Logos as the bridge between them.

The scabbard is the thing thought and spoken about. The underlying objective reality. The spoken word/s is/are the subject matter which stand/s for the thing thought and spoken about as/by the Logos.

We'll see! :)

The sword and its scabbard are one. That's about as direct as reality gets, yes? Logos is not dokei, which is the subjective estimate.

God's Rhema IS His (singular) hypostasis. There was nothing (no thing) else for Him to think and speak about with objective reality of existence. The scabbard is God's hypostasis, which is exactly impressed upon His Logos. The express image OF His hypostasis. Charakter is not the object imprinted, but the tool and its impress.

Not with "center of action".

First, that's a horrific attempted definition of hypostasis. And the alleged multiple hypostases couldn't have individuated sentient conscious volition or it would indicate mutliple souls as multiple ousios.

God's Word and God's Spirit do things and are effective in all that they do.

Absolutely, but they're not individuated hypostases. Yours aren't. Mine aren't. A multi-hypostatic ousia is fallacious. It's a band-aid to compensate for uni-phenomenal misrepresentation.

We can isolate and expand later. We should be able to consider the Word and the Spirit distinctly (or there's no reason to call them that and we and Scripture would just say "God".)

Exactly.

(And not necessarily--but not by necessity, either. :dizzy: )

I see what you did there, clever one. The incommunicable attribute of Necessity.

I very much agree... but no one has the benefit of being present to everyone at all times which is why we must write!

I don't know if you have anything formally written, PPS, but if not, you should--methodologically and systematically.

I've chosen a seminary through which to work on my dissertation, which will then be published in multi-volume book form. Three years out on the completed project, but with website videos forthcoming along the way.

Who knows, maybe (even posthumously), Pope Pius LXXXVIII will say, "PPS, the greatest theologian since Karl Barth."

:)

Ummm... Other than the Pope part and the Barth part, this could be an edifying and prophetic statement. LOL.

I'll continue my efforts to expound multi-phenomenality as we move ahead in the convo.

(I called it, though, on Shugate. Rank heretic. Yes? Jesus as an eternal man. Pffft.)

Last edited:

1Mind1Spirit

Literal lunatic
(I was headed through Missouri a month or so ago, and thought about trying to meet up; but I thought you might tase me, Bro.)

:chicken:

I might fillet sum flesh off yuh, but tasing seems too have been a waste of time.

1 John 4:18 KJV

18 There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment . He that feareth is not made perfect in love.