NFL 2018 Season Starts Tonight

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
My new prediction is Kansas City vs Los Angeles in the Super Bowl.

The Saints haven't looked good since they lost to Dallas in New Orleans. They barely beat Pittsburgh and Philadelphia at home.

As I said earlier, the Patriots are a different team away from Foxboro.

Plus, the first time the Rams and Chiefs played this year was great.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I think NE is justly the dog in this game, due to them playing at Arrowhead, plus the Chiefs' performance this season. But I do disagree. These teams have played each other, back when the Chiefs had a better running game, and the Pats had a worse one.
When they met early in the season Hunt only had 80 yds and they ran for under 100. Michel, for NE, ran for over 100.

So here's what you need to know. Tom Brady is rarely the reason the Pats win or lose games. Tom is fine. He may not be playing his best ball, but he's done his part. The Pats aren't winning or losing because of that. They're winning and losing with their running game. In every one of their losses this season, all of them on the road, the Pats have failed to run for 100 yds or more. In every win but 2 (and one of those was right at the edge, at 97 yds) they've rushed for over 100 yds.

Conversely, every team that beat them this year rushed for over 100 yds. A good bit more, on average, with the lowest total being 104.

Now how did the Chiefs beat Indy? Mahomes threw for under 300 yds with 0 tds against 0 picks. They ran for 180 yds and 4 tds. Williams rushed for about 130 of them. And they held Indy to under 100 yds rushing.

The first time the two teams met they tried to win a shoot out with Tom Brady while giving up nearly 150 yds on the ground. Mahomes looked great and they lost by a fg. Don't think this will be the same game. KC will establish the run, both with Williams and with Mahomes. And the defense, that looked stout up front against possibly the best offensive line in football, will pressure Brady, double Gronk, and plug the run effectively enough to hold NE under 100.

This game should belong to KC. Not because NE is 2-6 on the road, not because Tom isn't quite himself this year on average, but because the key to winning against the Pats is pretty clear, if you can execute it. And KC just demonstrated they can. Bill can't rest on taking the best weapon away with KC, who can beat you with two or three wrs and can run from under center and the backfield. This is a different and better team than Bill faced early, despite Hunt's loss.

And I don't see any reason to think NO can't replicate their game earlier this season against the Rams, I think NO wins, but I don't predict any spread.

The SB: Pats by three against NO.
I'm less certain about this game, though winning against the Philly magic can't hurt, should shake the rust and instill confidence. . . Funny thing about that game, when the Saints were lining up the ice fg I said to my wife, "Wouldn't it be great if the Saints missed and Foles ended up driving down the field, but the Saints defense stopped him late?" I literally set out the ending just before the Saints missed that kick.

Luck? Sure, but it was funny how it played out. I was rooting for both qbs in this one, but I want Brees to get another ring and the elusive respect that should have him in the conversation for best of a generation, along with Rodgers, Manning, and Brady.

In the meantime, the Rams looked terrific and they're a team that plays well in this position. Should the Saints win? I...think so, but I can see this one being tight.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Well, good enough to beat one guy actually on that list, in the biggest game, twice. :eek: But, of course, I was talking about his big brother.

I was kidding, I knew you were talking about Peyton.

Do you really think Rodgers should be included in your list? I know he is the most accurate ever, but he lacks greatly in stats.

For example:

Most yards by a QB

1) 74,437 Brees
2) 71,940 Peyton Manning
3) 71,838 Favre
4) 70,514 Brady
5) 61,361 Marino
6) 56,194 Roethlisberger
7) 55,981 Eli Manning
8) 54,646 Rivers
17) 42,944 Aaron Rodgers

As we see above, Rodgers isn't even close to Rivers, Eli, or Ben, and is just a year or two younger than the three of them, and has only played one less season than the three of them.

Same thing for most TD passes. Rivers, Eli, and Ben are all ahead of Rodgers.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I was kidding, I knew you were talking about Peyton.
I got it. :eek:

Do you really think Rodgers should be included in your list?
Absolutely.

I know he is the most accurate ever, but he lacks greatly in stats.
Look at the number of games played, or, take a look at yards averaged per game, which is more accurate a barometer and then look at his rating at the position over time.

Brees is the only person to have multiple 5k seasons in NFL history. He's averaged 20 more yds, on average, that Rodgers per game.
Peyton? Ten.
Favre? 22 fewer per game
Brady? 2 more yds.
Ben? .1 fewer

So the total yardage is more about number of games.

Avg rating during the actual games played?

Rodgers 103.1
Brees 97.7
Brady 97.6
Manning 96.5
Ben 94.2
Favre 86

TDs per game?
Rodgers 2.04
Manning 2.03
Brees 1.96
Brady 1.92
Ben 1.68
Favre 1.11

Rushing yds and avg career?

Rodgers 2,939, 5.2, 27 td
Favre 1,844, 3.1, 14 td
Ben 1,350, 2.9, 19 td
Brady 1,003, 1.2, 19 td
Brees 768, 1.6, 22 td
Manning 667, 1.5, 18 td

Idolater

"Foundation of the World" Dispensationalist χρ
When they met early in the season Hunt only had 80 yds and they ran for under 100. Michel, for NE, ran for over 100.
Back when the Chiefs had a better running game, and the Pats had a worse one.
So here's what you need to know. Tom Brady is rarely the reason the Pats win or lose games. Tom is fine. He may not be playing his best ball, but he's done his part. The Pats aren't winning or losing because of that. They're winning and losing with their running game. In every one of their losses this season, all of them on the road, the Pats have failed to run for 100 yds or more. In every win but 2 (and one of those was right at the edge, at 97 yds) they've rushed for over 100 yds.

Conversely, every team that beat them this year rushed for over 100 yds. A good bit more, on average, with the lowest total being 104.
And back when the Pats beat this very Chiefs team, NE had a weaker running game than they do now.
Now how did the Chiefs beat Indy? Mahomes threw for under 300 yds with 0 tds against 0 picks. They ran for 180 yds and 4 tds. Williams rushed for about 130 of them. And they held Indy to under 100 yds rushing.

The first time the two teams met they tried to win a shoot out with Tom Brady while giving up nearly 150 yds on the ground. Mahomes looked great and they lost by a fg. Don't think this will be the same game. KC will establish the run, both with Williams and with Mahomes. And the defense, that looked stout up front against possibly the best offensive line in football, will pressure Brady
The Pats' offensive line is in the top three for pass protection. KC's D-line is formidable, but NE's O-line is more formidable, imo.
, double Gronk
Gronkowski was a non-factor in the passing game against the Chargers, but he was a key part of NE's successful ground game, as he is an exceptional blocker for a TE.
, and plug the run effectively enough to hold NE under 100.
NE's running game is decent, which is unusual for a NE team recently. They used that running game to open up certain pass plays against the Chargers. And the Chargers split their season series with KC.
This game should belong to KC.
I disagree. A 3-pt line indicates that on a neutral field, the money is that this game is a push. In Foxboro, NE triumphed by 3 pts. As I said, NE is a stronger team now than they were then, and KC's weaker now than they were then. The Pats will win this game by six.
Not because NE is 2-6 on the road
3-5. And so far, of NE's 12 wins, five of them were against other playoff teams, the Chiefs included, and home or road, they are 5-0 against those five other playoff teams (Houston, Indy, KC, Chicago, and now LAC). They play quality football games against the league's strongest teams. They will play a quality football game against KC on Sunday, and I don't think that any of the remaining teams can beat them when they play a quality football game.
, not because Tom isn't quite himself this year on average, but because the key to winning against the Pats is pretty clear, if you can execute it.
How is that different for NE now than it is for every other NFL team that's ever been fielded? The coaches can always devise a plan to defeat their opponents, but it's always a question of execution, and of talent. NE has been very successful because they tend to execute their game plans better than their opponents execute theirs, and that has tended to, on the average, overwhelm any deficiencies in talent, and when talent is equal to their opponents, they tend to outperform even more.

I hate to bring up Andy Reid's history wrt poor game decisions, especially late in close games, but facts are facts, and he has something to prove in this game. I'm not counting him or them out due to this history, but he does still have something to prove. It's not a given that he will succeed. Unless the game's noncompetitive, his decision making will be tested at the end, and it's not granted that he'll be able to pass muster in such a case.

Mind you, I'm not granting that it will be that close by the 4th quarter, but if it is, then his decision making will be a factor.
And KC just demonstrated they can.
They did no such thing. The Patriots did, otoh, just manhandle and dismantle a team that split two games with KC this season, including one loss at Arrowhead.
Bill can't rest on taking the best weapon away with KC, who can beat you with two or three wrs and can run from under center and the backfield. This is a different and better team than Bill faced early, despite Hunt's loss.
They aren't better, but they are different, because they are weaker. They constituted almost the same threat back in week six as they will this Sunday, except that they are now weaker than they were then, and back then, NE still beat them. Hill is still a demon that they couldn't entirely contain in their first meeting, and I won't be surprised if he breaks a long one in this game once either. If he breaks two or more, then this game will be closer. I still think Mahomes will throw at least one pick, and in close games, picks tend to rule the day, in that the passer who throws them tends to lose.
I'm less certain about this game, though winning against the Philly magic can't hurt, should shake the rust and instill confidence. . . Funny thing about that game, when the Saints were lining up the ice fg I said to my wife, "Wouldn't it be great if the Saints missed and Foles ended up driving down the field, but the Saints defense stopped him late?" I literally set out the ending just before the Saints missed that kick.
Don't you mean . . . 'Noles?'
Spoiler
Phi @ Chi
Projection: Phi 37, Chi 28

Comment: okay, that's not my actual math, but it's how I want to see this one go. I actually (on paper) like it Chicago 27, Philly 22, but here's why I'm projecting a different and more surprising win for Philly...Noles fills the holes. Noles is some sort of magic for this team when they need him. The Bears haven't been in this position in a very long time, favored in a playoff game and they have an untestested qb. If he falters on the big stage that defense won't save him. Everything has to go right for the Eagles to have a realistic shot at winning this game. The odds are against them. Go Philly anyway.
:eek: :chuckle:
Luck? Sure, but it was funny how it played out. I was rooting for both qbs in this one, but I want Brees to get another ring and the elusive respect that should have him in the conversation for best of a generation, along with Rodgers, Manning, and Brady.
There's a sense in which no defending world champion is an underdog. I rooted for Philly in this game, even though I called NO, because 1) I wanted to see a SB rematch, 2) I love to watch dominating D-linemen, and Philly's Fletcher Cox and Michael Bennett are two of the greatest in the game today.

I kind of thought that Foles was still for real and that Philly'd pull it out, but it looks to me like midnight's finally struck and that he's back to being a pumpkin. iow back to being the backup qb formally known as Nick Foles.
In the meantime, the Rams looked terrific and they're a team that plays well in this position. Should the Saints win? I...think so, but I can see this one being tight.
I can't see the Rams winning, but it was very big for them, to win in the divisional round. But I don't think they can beat the Saints, especially not in NO.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Back when the Chiefs had a better running game, and the Pats had a worse one.
Not on that day, though you could as easily say, back before the Chiefs defense did a better job against the run and before the Pats had their hands team back and in good health, taking pressure off the running game and opening the chance for New England to run better.

The Pats' offensive line is in the top three for pass protection. KC's D-line is formidable, but NE's O-line is more formidable, imo.
It will be an interesting match up, to be sure. Again, the Chiefs don't have to make Brady less than Brady. They got no pressure on him the first time, but they also gave up the run like crazy. And history tells us that a) Brady isn't as good on the road (almost no one is at the qb position) and b) they only have to do a better job against the run, as they did with Indy. It's really the Indy blueprint that only has to be a little more successful.

Or, it's easier to believe the Chiefs will be a little better than to believe the Pats will be a lot better on the road.

Gronkowski was a non-factor in the passing game against the Chargers, but he was a key part of NE's successful ground game, as he is an exceptional blocker for a TE.
Probably the best thing he does for them now. Probably why he'll retire in the offseason too. His body is getting banged up.

NE's running game is decent, which is unusual for a NE team recently. They used that running game to open up certain pass plays against the Chargers. And the Chargers split their season series with KC.
The Chargers played a horrible game, top to bottom. And NE looked like the Pats playing at home, after a good rest and with time aplenty to work on a game plan against a banged up opponent suffering nerves. That's not going to be KC in any sense.

I disagree. A 3-pt line indicates that on a neutral field, the money is that this game is a push. In Foxboro, NE triumphed by 3 pts. As I said, NE is a stronger team now than they were then, and KC's weaker now than they were then. The Pats will win this game by six.
I don't see evidence that NE is a stronger team now and "triumphed" is a silly way to describe a fg win at home against a team that put over 400 yds on you. If Vegas agreed they'd call it a push. Giving KC a 3 pt edge would be like giving NE a push at home.

3-5. And so far, of NE's 12 wins, five of them were against other playoff teams, the Chiefs included, and home or road, they are 5-0 against those five other playoff teams (Houston, Indy, KC, Chicago, and now LAC). They play quality football games against the league's strongest teams. They will play a quality football game against KC on Sunday, and I don't think that any of the remaining teams can beat them when they play a quality football game.
Nobody wanted Indy late. Arguably the best offensive line in football, a hot and very talented qb, a running game and a defense that had surprised people. KC took them apart.

How is that different for NE now than it is for every other NFL team that's ever been fielded?
I'm not sure what you're asking. Most of the teams that played a traveling NE beat the Pats. 5-3.

Who were those powerhouses that took care of the Pats? The Jags, Lions, Titans, Steelers, Dolphins.

20, 10, 10, 10...that's how many points Brady and company put up on the road against those guys. They did manage 25 on the lowly Bills. 27 on the Jets. They had exactly one road game where they looked like they could bring it, against the Bears. Then they fell back to 10 against the Steelers.

The coaches can always devise a plan to defeat their opponents, but it's always a question of execution, and of talent. NE has been very successful because they tend to execute their game plans better than their opponents execute theirs, and that has tended to, on the average, overwhelm any deficiencies in talent, and when talent is equal to their opponents, they tend to outperform even more.
NE's success is predicated on a couple of things. First, they've played in a trash division for almost all of Brady's tenure, meaning they get a big playoff edge for home field, where they are deadly. Second, they have arguably the best coach in the game and an all-time great qb executing his gameplan.

Consistently great coaching will win a lot of games. Playing most of your playoff games at home coupled with that coaching will create dynasties.

I hate to bring up Andy Reid's history wrt poor game decisions, especially late in close games, but facts are facts, and he has something to prove in this game. I'm not counting him or them out due to this history, but he does still have something to prove. It's not a given that he will succeed. Unless the game's noncompetitive, his decision making will be tested at the end, and it's not granted that he'll be able to pass muster in such a case.
I'd agree that Reid has something to prove, but before this year he had solid tools to work with. This is the first time he's had a qb with this level of talent. It takes a lot of pressure off. And he has a different and more experienced staff around him.

They did no such thing.
You need to reexamine the box score. They went against a better line and a qb with more physical talent at this stage of the game. They shut them down, played a team no one wanted and schemed their defense brilliantly. As I noted, their averages were top five. They ran the ball and used the passing game to keep the defense honest. It was a very different approach for KC. And that approach is exactly what they need against the Pats.

The Patriots did, otoh, just manhandle and dismantle a team that split two games with KC this season, including one loss at Arrowhead.
By a point and when the Chiefs were coasting late. The Broncos beat those same Chargers by a point in LA. It happens. KC beat those same Chargers by 10 and on the road earlier. I tend to look at the rule and not the exception when considering how a team is likely to play.

They aren't better, but they are different, because they are weaker.
Now that's just nuts. They're playing better defense, their qb has more experience, and the running game is back. This is a better team. The Pats are playing better at home than they did early in the year, but they won't be at home this weekend.

They constituted almost the same threat back in week six as they will this Sunday, except that they are now weaker than they were then, and back then, NE still beat them. Hill is still a demon that they couldn't entirely contain in their first meeting, and I won't be surprised if he breaks a long one in this game once either. If he breaks two or more, then this game will be closer. I still think Mahomes will throw at least one pick, and in close games, picks tend to rule the day, in that the passer who throws them tends to lose.
He threw two picks in their loss to the Pats by that fg. In that game Tom threw zero picks.

Don't you mean . . . 'Noles?':eek: :chuckle:
Nick Foles ended up Noles for some reason. :eek:

There's a sense in which no defending world champion is an underdog. I rooted for Philly in this game, even though I called NO, because 1) I wanted to see a SB rematch, 2) I love to watch dominating D-linemen, and Philly's Fletcher Cox and Michael Bennett are two of the greatest in the game today.
I was going to be happy either way, because I liked both teams and both qbs. Great story to be had with either.

I kind of thought that Foles was still for real and that Philly'd pull it out, but it looks to me like midnight's finally struck and that he's back to being a pumpkin. iow back to being the backup qb formally known as Nick Foles.
We disagree again, since he put that pass right on the hands of his wr, a guy who is usually money. He was leading them back to a win. It took an uncharacteristic mistake and a solid defensive play to stop it. But both of these teams looked like SB bound contenders. Great game and a showcase for an improved Saints defense.

The Saints won't face an equally talented defense (assuming they survive the Rams) in either KC or NE, and Brees can (in a dome) match and out play either opposing qb he'll face.

I can't see the Rams winning, but it was very big for them, to win in the divisional round. But I don't think they can beat the Saints, especially not in NO.
They're capable, but it's a tough and uphill road. And both teams are built to beat the Pats, so you'd better hope for a Saints/KC showdown and a SB with a BIG over/under.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Brees is the only person to have multiple 5k seasons in NFL history.

It is amazing that he has done it 5 times, and no one else has done it twice.

On a side note, Joe Namath was the first to pass for 4,000 yards (1967), and holds the record for most yards in a 14 game season (4,007). Dan Marino was the first to pass for 5,000 yards (1984), and Patrick Mahomes was the youngest to ever pass for 5,000 yards (he did it this year).

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The weather forecast for Kansas City this Sunday at kickoff is predicted to be between minus-5 to 10 degrees.

Does this brutal cold help the Patriots or Chiefs?

Jerry Shugart

When your team has only won 3 playoff games in 24 years, and hasn't won 2 playoff games in a row in 24 years, there is really no other direction to go, but "up".

They have won two in the last four years and this year the their playoff win was more than the Steelers won during a period of 39 years.

One year short of four decades!

Besides that, the Boys have the highest winning percentage of all the teams in the NFL overall and the highest winning percentage in the regular season. They are so far ahead of the Steelers that they will never catch the Boys. And there is only one America's Team and it ain't the Steelers.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
They have won two in the last four years and this year the their playoff win was more than the Steelers won during a period of 39 years.

One year short of four decades!

Besides that, the Boys have the highest winning percentage of all the teams in the NFL overall and the highest winning percentage in the regular season. They are so far ahead of the Steelers that they will never catch the Boys. And there is only one America's Team and it ain't the Steelers.

Jerry, this ain't the 60's & 70's.

Your Boys have sucked since 1995. They have won a total of 3 playoff games the last 24 years, and haven't won 2 playoff games in a row for 24 years. They haven't been to an NFC Championship Game since 1995.

The Cowboys, Redskins, and Lions are the only 3 NFC teams to not make it to the NFC Championship Game this century.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Beginning with the 1994 AFC Championship Game, and counting this years game, there has been 25 AFC Championship Games, and either the Patriots or Steelers have been in 20 of them.

Jerry Shugart

Jerry, this ain't the 60's & 70's.

Why won't you at least acknowledge the fact that the Cowboys have the highest winning percentage of all teams in the NFL?

The Steelers aren't even in the top ten!

You have to remember that this isn't 2018 but instead 2019 and the Cowboys made the playoffs and won in the playoffs and the Steelers didn't even make the playoffs. Of course you want to live in the past but you better get used to losing because without Big Ben and Antonio Brown the Steelers are toast.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
The weather forecast for Kansas City this Sunday at kickoff is predicted to be between minus-5 to 10 degrees.

Does this brutal cold help the Patriots or Chiefs?
Hard to say. Brady in really cold weather has a qb rating of around 80, which is okay, but not great, not pro bowl great. Now Mahomes? It was freezing cold in KC for the Colts game. He threw for 278 and ran for a td, set up the running game and the scheme I think works best against the Pats and best for KC in that weather. I don't think Brady puts up that many yds in the cold so it comes down to how much both can help their running game. So who does a better job of that?

I think it's Mahomes.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
You mean the Patrick Mahomes from Texas Tech, my alma mater?

In Texas Tech's 95 seasons, they have won a total of ZERO National Championships.

ZERO is also how many Super Bowls the Cowboys have won in the last 24 years.

Maybe you should start rooting for other teams?