NFL 2018 Season Starts Tonight

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The Eagles and Colts are RED HOT.

The Saints and Rams are the two best teams.

The Chargers have a better record than the Patriots.

The Chiefs and Andy Reid always fall apart in January.

Dallas hasn't won two playoff games in a row since 1995

No team that has played in the Divisional Round has made it to the Championship round since 2013.

Jerry Shugart

If the Cow Pokes win the Super Bowl this year they will tie the Steelers for the most Super Bowl wins. They will also have more appearances in the Super Bowl than the Steelers and they will go ahead of the Steelers as the winner of the most play-off games during the Super Bowl era.

They remain the team with the best winning percentage in the NFL in all games played and in all games played during the regular season.

They have won eight of their last nine games and if they can win the next three they will supplant the Steelers as the best team during the Super Bowl era!

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I predict that the winner of today's Chiefs-Colts game will go to the Super Bowl.
Seems reasonable. I thought Indy could upset the Chiefs given how hot they've been playing and how one dimensional KC had necessarily become.

Damian Williams was a game changer. My son, who has been on the Chiefs' bandwagon since last year, is a happy camper.

I had the Chiefs' score within a point, but the Colts really underperformed this week. Ah, well.

Dallas is doing a little better than I thought. I had them scoring 18 and losing to the Rams by 9. So, a little more offense.

Tomorrow? The home teams should hold serve.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Or the Chief's defense overperformed. If their defense keeps it up the Chiefs will win the Super Bowl. Mahomes makes it look so easy!
Indy had built its reputation late, mostly against two playoff caliber teams, the Cowboys and Texans, teams who could up and down from game to game, but you have a point.

During the reg season Indy's offense averaged 107 yds rushing a game (20th) and 278 passing (6th) for 385 total while allowing 237 (17th) passing and 101 rushing (8th) for a total of 338 total.

KC had been averaging 309 passing (3rd) and 115 rushing (16th) for a total of 424 total while holding opponents to 273 passing (31st) and 132 rushing (27th)for a total of 405 yds allowed.

This game? The Colts passed for 204 and rushed for 87, totaling 291, while KC passed for 278 and rushed for 180, totaling 458.

So, Indy was 94 yds shy offensively, and KC was 34 yds better on offense than average.

But it's all about how that translates. On this day, KC's run defense, by average, would have placed them 5th overall in the NFL as a rule, behind only Chi, NO, Hou, and Bal. Their passing defense played in the same statistical average slot, at 5th, better than any team remaining in the playoffs.

Meanwhile, the Colts defense, praised of late (and with reason) looked anemic, allowing a league worst average against both pass and run.

To sum: KC had been a potent offense for the season, regaining a little of its early season balance late and elevated their defensive play as Indy's defense came back to where it had been against the pass, on average, throughout the year while collapsing against the run.

So will that translate into Chiefs' momentum or set them up for a fall against an experienced NE or hungry Bolts?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
After seeing the Patriots today I am beginning to wonder if anyone can beat them.
Oh, sure. SD reverted and KC is capable enough. The Rams/NO game should be fun to watch too. At a glance I'd go with the Vegas opening line on KC, which is 3 pts. I like the Saints, because they match up well with LA.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
They have won eight of their last nine games and if they can win the next three they will supplant the Steelers as the best team during the Super Bowl era!

Looks like the Steelers are still the best team of the Super Bowl era.

Your Cowboys haven't won two playoff games in a row since 1995 (24 years)....that's embarrassing if you're a Cowboy's fan.

All I care about now is New England not tying the Steelers for Super Bowl wins.

The steelers have twice as many Super Bowl wins as the Chiefs, Rams,and Saints combined. I'll be happy if any those teams win....kinda rooting for the Chiefs, Andy Reid deserves it.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
After seeing the Patriots today I am beginning to wonder if anyone can beat them.

They are a different team away from Foxboro (unless it's Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania).

Every time Brady and the Patriots have gone to the Super Bowl, the AFC Championship Game was played in Foxboro, or Pittsburgh.

When the AFC Championship games were in Indianapolis and Denver, the Patriots never won.

Last edited:

Jerry Shugart

They are a different team away from Foxboro (unless it's Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania).

If the Patriots win the Super Bowl this year then the Steelers will no longer be the best team of the Super Bowl era.(But of course they really didn't deserve to win two of those Super Bowls but instead were a gift from the opposing head coaches).

I hope the Patriots lose and the Steelers remain at the top. The Boys are on their way up while the Steelers are on their way down.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The Boys are on their way up

When your team has only won 3 playoff games in 24 years, and hasn't won 2 playoff games in a row in 24 years, there is really no other direction to go, but "up".

The Steelers won more postseason games in 2005 than the Cowboys have won in the last 24 years.

Idolater

"Foundation of the World" Dispensationalist χρ
I think NE is justly the dog in this game, due to them playing at Arrowhead, plus the Chiefs' performance this season. But I do disagree. These teams have played each other, back when the Chiefs had a better running game, and the Pats had a worse one. It's true that NE's played better overall at home this year, but that is within their own control, and I think they will control that, and play a quality game again against KC. All other things being equal, I would have the Pats winning this game by six. I don't feel compelled to think that all other things aren't equal in this game, so I stand by, the Pats by six.

And I don't see any reason to think NO can't replicate their game earlier this season against the Rams, I think NO wins, but I don't predict any spread.

The SB: Pats by three against NO.