NFL 2017

SUTG

Is Aaron Rogers out in GB?

He broke his collarbone in a mideseason game against the Vikings. Had to have surgery and have ten pins put in and some metal plates. The backup qurterback for Green Bay is a guy named Brett Hundley who was hilariously bad. Aaron Rodgers came back for a game against the Panthers in week 15 when Green Bay still had a chance of sneaking into the playoffs, but he was underthrowing and threw a few interceptions and Carolina won. Then they took Rodgers out again for the rest of the season.

The season finale between the Lions and the Packers was a pretty amazing game in how horrible the Packers were. As a Gree Bay fan, I had some hopes when the Packers lost the coin toss at the opening of the game and had to kick to the Lions. They did an onside kick and got it! Then they turned into the Bad News Bears for the rest of the game. Even as a fan, it was amusing to see a team play so exceptionally poorly.

They've since fired Dom Capers (their defensive coordinator), and who knows how they'll be next year. I could see it going either way.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Meanwhile, a topic for discussion. Which is worse, the constant reward for mediocrity and waste of talent the Bengals have been guilty of foisting on fans by holding onto Marvin Lewis or the debacle that is the Cleveland Browns and their staying pat with Hue Jackson?

Marvin Lewis became coach of the Bengals in 2003, and has taken the Bengals to the playoffs seven times. Prior to Lewis, the Bengals went 12 seasons without making the playoffs. I think the Bengals front office is afraid of what it was like before Lewis.

As for the Browns keeping Hue Jackson....I think the new owner knows that firing the coach every other year hasn't worked very well either. So, I think he's going to give Hue a few years.

I'm more surprised Jerry Jones is bringing back Jason Garrett. If there was ever an "8-8" head coach, Garrett is that coach. The Cowboys have too much talent to be a .500 team every year.

Garrett's been there seven full seasons, and they made the playoffs twice.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Marvin Lewis became coach of the Bengals in 2003, and has taken the Bengals to the playoffs seven times.
And not one playoff win.

Prior to Lewis, the Bengals went 12 seasons without making the playoffs. I think the Bengals front office is afraid of what it was like before Lewis.
Why doesn't that feel worse? A contract extension...good gravy.

As for the Browns keeping Hue Jackson....I think the new owner knows that firing the coach every other year hasn't worked very well either. So, I think he's going to give Hue a few years.
That's about what I figured. And they're awful at so many positions. Who would want to hold the reins while they build? :think: Jackson.

I'm more surprised Jerry Jones is bringing back Jason Garrett. If there was ever an "8-8" head coach, Garrett is that coach. The Cowboys have too much talent to be a .500 team every year.
I think he realizes that if his rb had acted his age this could be a very different year. Romo wept.

Garrett's been there seven full seasons, and they made the playoffs twice.
They're close. If their new qb gets consistent help and they get a little more defensive help next year could stop being a mantra and start being a reality.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
And not one playoff win.

They were oh so close, two years ago against the Steelers.

But then, they showed why they are called "the Bungles".

It's been awhile since I posted this, but I just can't help myself:

QUESTION:"Why does Ohio begin with an "O", and end with an "O"?

ANSWER: "The first "O" is for how many Super Bowls the Bengals have won, and the second "O" is for how many Super Bowls the Browns have won.

Jerry Shugart

Saturday's Playoff Bets:

At Kansas City -8.5 Tennessee

At LA Rams -6.5 Atlanta

I will take the points in both games.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Shoot. Well, I like all the home teams. Only the Chiefs game looks to be a close contest of any sort. I haven't cared about the lines, but all of the one's I've seen look about right. I'd probably have the Titans keeping it closer than 8, though it looks like they aren't so far. Otherwise, I'd go with the lines.

Guesstimates

KC 27
Ten 23

Atl 19
Ram 30

Buf 18
Jac 33

Car 20
NO 32

So I'm thinking we'll see a lot of offense. I haven't put a lot of time in any of that, so don't bet by me. :eek: I'm starting my student teaching on Monday, so I actually forgot a game was on until my father called a few minutes ago. :chuckle:

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
"TD - Marcus Mariota pass from Marcus Mariota for 6 yards"

A stat you just don't see very often.

I don't do Fantasy Football......so, if you had Mariota, is that play worth 12 points (6 for passing & 6 for receiving)?

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Wow!

The Chiefs are the Cleveland Browns of the postseason.

Just how many playoff games have the Chiefs lost in Kansas City when they were favored?

It's like Marty Schottenheimer was coaching them in the second half.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Strangest game I've seen in a while. Looked like it was going to come down to who wanted to lose this one the most. Seems like a lot of changes may be in the works for KC now. And how about Henry? Terrific effort for the former Alabama star.

Looked like a microcosm of the Chiefs' season. Dominant early on and ineffective later. You can't go scoreless in a playoff half too often and come out on top.

So that's 1-0 :D

Now let's see if the Rams can cover the spread and send me out of the day 2-0.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Did I mention that the Ram's Aaron Donald was born and raised in Pittsburgh, and went to Pitt?

Not only has Donald made the Pro-Bowl in each of his first four years, he set the combine record for fastest 40 for a defensive tackle.

Aaron Donald is 280 pounds, and ran a 4.68 40 yard dash. (think about that)

Donald was defensive rookie of the year, and has been a 3x first team All-Pro (in addition to his 4 Pro-bowls)

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Great showing by the Falcons. Surprised the heck out of me. :thumb: Atlanta. Another outstanding contribution by an outstanding player from the Tide. Way to pay Julio. I've been wondering where you got to.

Looking back earlier today, I think the Chiefs are making a mistake if they let Alex go. They need better defense. Alex did enough for them to win. He was better than Mariota. Hunt looked so-so while his counterpart got things done.

Jerry Shugart

Saturday's Playoff Bets:

At Kansas City -8.5 Tennessee

At LA Rams -6.5 Atlanta

I will take the points in both games.

Since I got them both right by taking the points in both games I will once again take the points in both games:

At Jacksonville -8.5 Buffalo

At New Orleans -6.5 Carolina

Jerry Shugart

As things sit (and they're fluid) I have the most likely outcome a Rams/New England Super Bowl, with the Pats losing a tight game, possibly wrapping the dynasty in a reflection of the way it began. That would be interesting.

Not this year!

I still predict a Vikings/Steelers Super Bowl with the Vikes winning by a narrow margin.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Not this year!

I still predict a Vikings/Steelers Super Bowl with the Vikes winning by a narrow margin.
Looks like that Falcons secondary is going to continue to play. That makes them dangerous, if the offense can stay productive. It was about as good a game as you could expect from Atlanta this year. Now they'll have to duplicate it next week. The Rams, on the other hand, played sporadically on both sides of the ball. I think you could reasonably say that the big stage had them off balance, which is understandable for a young team. A learning experience then.

The question today is will that hold true for Jacksonville? They were already wobbling offensively. Can they turn that around under the glare of the playoff lights? And if not can that vaunted defense carry them?

john w

Hall of Fame
Did I mention that the Ram's Aaron Donald was born and raised in Pittsburgh, and went to Pitt?

Not only has Donald made the Pro-Bowl in each of his first four years, he set the combine record for fastest 40 for a defensive tackle.

Aaron Donald is 280 pounds, and ran a 4.68 40 yard dash. (think about that)

Donald was defensive rookie of the year, and has been a 3x first team All-Pro (in addition to his 4 Pro-bowls)

The admitted sodomite, sissy Craigie is in to men....Isn't that why you spend so much time on men's sports threads, eh wimp?

And get a job, you unemployed loser, leach.